Hi new here and not doing well

Dianne

Hi my name is Dianne. I have been smoke free 1 day now. I am 56 and have smoked for 40 years. Have been sick with a upper respiratory infection which turned to bronchitis. Just came off the medicines (except for the inhaler) they gave me for that. Now I am convinced I also have GERD which making my breathing hard too (bought some Prilosec today in hope of help with that) I do not have health insurance or a doctor. I also am convinced I having anxiety attacks. I day smoke free and I feel like I falling apart in multiple ways. Trying to hang in. Came across this place in my searches of how to hang in...not doing so good but am glad I found a place to read other peoples experiences. 

• Like 9

Welcome aboard @Dianne and congratulations on taking back your life. I'm sorry you're not feeling well but you'll be happy to know that you'll recover much quicker when you quit smoking so I hope you start feeling better soon.

Quitting can cause some anxiety in the beginning and some of us have asked our Dr for temporary meds to help. Since you don't have a Dr you can try drinking juices and lots of water to help get the nicotine out of your system faster. Water also helps break up the phlegm 😊

We have a great group of quitters here who can support you through the quit process as well as a ton of great and educational posts and videos about our addiction.

You can do it, we're all proof🤗

• Like 5

Welcome to The Quit Train ...

When we quit smoking our bodies go hay wire....it's been used to being fed hundreds of poisons 

every day ...but the good news is ..it's all Temporary.....

The best thing you can do for your health is quit ....your body starts healing the minute you quit ...

Check out the Main Smoking Board...That's a good place to start ....

Read the posts pinned with green ...

You can do it ..believe in your self ....

• Like 4

Hi Dianne! Hope you decide to hang in here cuz there's tons of great info. here on quitting and nicotine addiction itself. Having a group of other quitters to relate to is a great support as well. 

Have a look around the site and make use of the helpful information to improve your future!

• Like 6

Welcome on this journey Dianne.  The journey is kind of tough at first and as said above your body kind of goes all over the place.  Move through it, it can be done.  Come here often and ask for all the help your might need, lots of information here along with some good people who have walked these same steps.  Stay strong you can do this!!!

• Like 5

Hi Diane. I don’t get on here much anymore but I just happen to across your post. I smoked for 37 years. I quit when I was sick with a cold or flu or some thing a few years ago. It’s the best thing I ever did for myself. Lots of people here have smoke a lot of cigarettes and gave them up. You can too.

If you hang around here you won’t smoke.

hang in there. I’ve pretty much convinced myself that if I can do it anyone can.

• Like 5

Welcome Dianne.

You are doing a great thing in quitting smoking.  I know it can be a daunting and tough but quitting smoking is definitely doable and it will lead to a much healthier life.

Stick around.  There is a lot of information and support you can get here to help you keep your quit.  It is good to have you here.

• Like 4

Dianne, most people will agree that the first three days are the worst when quitting, so you're through one of them. Do you have a plan to help get yourself through? Lots of helpful suggestions here; walking or any form of exercise, drinking lots of fluids, keeping busy and the company of a non-smoking friend if possible. Plenty of sleep will help too. You will have to trust us that it will get better! I'm only on day 14 after multiple attempts to quit and this forum has helped a lot. I have breathing problems too and for some the improvement is huge after quitting, but for me it's slower as I have damaged my lungs a lot after 40 plus years of smoking. Do you have a nicotine replacement to help you through these tough days? Some use patches but I've found a nicotine spray very good for those strong cravings. I hope things improve for you soon. All the best.

• Like 5

Hi Diane, welcome on board, the first few days are really tough, but hang on in there I'm 55 I started smoking when I was 13, and my final sticky quit I did when I was going through a very stressful period in my life. But I was determined to beat the craving once and for all. I am so glad that I did, and you can too, keep yourself busy, focus on why you are doing this, be kind to yourself, check in as often as needs me on here, if you need to reach out, there is always someone around, my message box will always be open if you need to rant or just talk, this will be the best thing that you will ever do. 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Dianne said:

Thank you every one for your words, ideas and encouragement! I find myself staying here just reading,  rereading and hoping I can fall asleep. And just make it to tomorrow. Again thank you! :)

I lurked here for a few weeks before I joined.  Reading the stories of people who had successfully quit was a major impetus for me to start my own quit.

Once something has been done, you know it can be done.

Welcome aboard Dianne.  Quitting smoking is one of the best things you will ever do for yourself.

• Like 3

So glad you found us Diane.  The first week is the toughest as you get that nicotine out of your system.  After that, you have to learn to redirect those thoughts of craving.  I found it was easier to hang around and get to know everyone.  I read as much as I could, played some games and Posted a Nope each day.  There was plenty of help and encouragement here.  You can do this.  Always keep the cigarettes behind you and keep moving forward to freedom.  

• Like 3

Still here. Working on day 6 now. Man.... I never ever want to repeat this last week in life. I will never want to go through this again. Right now it is that thought which keeping me going.  So it has to stick. I think I only have one quit within me. I this whole feeling of now or never.  I have post-it notes around my bedroom and the house, snippets of words, phrases from here that speak to me. In some ways I felt more positive getting through day 3 than 4 and 5....4 and 5 sort of bah humbug like the intense fight over? What left a daily grind of getting by and through....like I in it for the long haul.....odd feeling... not sure how to word it. I staying away from the back patio which is where I always smoked. I miss it, not going to lie, the smoke, the break out back. Had to laugh at myself as I was like wow I never get fresh air now....had to stop and think on those words and thoughts.....yeah right Dianne lol.... getting more fresh air now then I did in the last 40 years. In other randomness....cleaned out my purse, discovered I had 3 lighters in there (prepared and then some) The practical side of me was like could come in handy for a emergency. The realistic side of me was like....Dianne...you do not live in north country...you do not hike....you do not camp....then the question....do non-smokers carry lighters around in their purse? Is a honest question lol I had to ask a few...their answers so far have been no.....so I threw them in my dresser drawer....because I a non-smoker now....amazing the little things and thoughts you can get stuck on :)

• Like 3

I'm just going to say congrats Dianne on all the wisdom you have and getting through things you may never have thought possible . 

My best as you continue your journey with one day at a time in mind every day and with one foot in front of the other . 

Abby . 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dianne is in it to win it-

I see some budding non smoker wisdom in your words. 

Yes this needs to be a one way street. 

Just one single puff takes you back to go- 

What exactly do women carry in their purse anyways????

Edited by AceWhite
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Dianne said:

I never ever want to repeat this last week in life. I will never want to go through this again.

Dianne, hang on to that thought throughout your quit.  The first week is the pits while your are getting that nicotine out of your system.  Now, comes the brain game.  You formed the repetitive habit over 40 years, so it will take a while to learn to redirect those thoughts.  Just remember that smoking is now behind you.  You are strong and can push through any crave that comes your way.  You go girl, you can do this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Welcome Dianne! I hope that you are maintaining your quit. I will be 55 this year and had smoked since I was 15. I quit smoking on March 17th this year. I’m not so far into my quit that I don’t still have some really rough days. For me, the earliest days were the easiest. The current mental game is the worst. I’ve always suffered from anxiety and turning my back on and walking away from my best friend ( 🚬) has been almost more than I can bear at times. Please stay busy. Please get on here and/or call someone up to talk, hopefully laugh with. And drink, drink, drink water and juice. It really helps! Anything you can do distract yourself! I too do not have insurance or a regular doctor. My financial situation is currently dire. Which is probably a good thing. I can’t afford to smoke right now. HaHa Really, I could. But I know one cigarette would turn into many. I too feel like I only have one quit in me. It’s a mess. I’m a mess. But what keeps me on this train is the fact that I absolutely do not want to ever go through quitting ever, ever again! I’ve come too far to turn back now! I hope that you keep us updated with your journey! And again, welcome! I’m glad that you found us!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Almost through day 11. I keep thinking I going to post. Going to say something, anything. Words they keep coming and going. This is tough. I struggling with anxiety. It started with the steroids they gave me for the bronchitis and after reading here ...seems it a part of quitting too...I feel like this anxiety just piggy backing off the quit and what the steroids did to me .......I just holding onto the hope it all goes away....day 8 was tough......so emotional! Was so happy to go to bed that day....day 9 was great, because it was not day 8 lol lord help me and lord help my 3 cats and mom! Day 10 and today not as good as day 9... but not as bad as day 8....there are some postives...my sense of smell wow...this wheezing sound (every time I laid down)  I could never decide if it in my sinuses or lungs and blamed on allergies...it gone! Just gone. (that is nice) My teeth looking better (at least I think so)  I do have what I can only describe as a lighter feeling about me (at least when I not in the moment of anxiety attacks) I keep telling myself no not once not ever and sometimes just nope! I keep saying thank you Jesus for keeping me safe from cigarettes' today (over and over) and telling myself I am a non-smoker (and truthfully I am a bit proud of that right now) I did a couple short walks today (had to force myself to do them) they did help....took mom to the bank. Normally I would get out of the car smoke a cig while she in the bank....today I got out of the car and walked back and forth in front of the bank instead....seemed a small healthy victory :)

• Like 2

Hi @Dianne, I'm glad you're already seeing some of the many benefits of quitting. Glad you're already getting some good days, that's awesome😊 The steroids can cause anxiety too and they stay in your system about ten days after your last one so hopefully you'll start having less anxiety. But it's also normal in these early days of your quit. I found sucking on sweets helped me. I was hooked on soft peppermint puffs for an entire year lol.

Anyway, you're doing great and should be super proud of yourself🤗 

Edited by jillar
  • Like 2