When you encounter stress after a year quit

Kate18

Ach! I had a knee injury, crutches, 6 weeks off of my job.

Returned to my cashiering job and had repetitive injury to my back, with nasty spasms.

Had to restrict my hours, and really hurt my income.

But, I didn't smoke.

Had to have hernia surgery and another 6 weeks off work.

Returned to work and more back spasms because of repetitive action injury.

But I didn't smoke.

Now on medical leave because of repetitive motion injury, and at risk of losing my job if I can't conquer the spasms.

Until now, I didn't crave a cigarette, but today I did. 

It was a bit scary. Here I am, a year plus a month, quit, and I wanted a cigarette. 

I'd quit drinking anything alcoholic because I'm on a plant-based-diet kick and no added oil or salt, no alcohol or diet cola.

I was walking my dog and saw several cigarettes on the ground. Normally, in recent months, I'd have thought, "yuck, litter bug,"

Today I longed for a cigarette and destressing.

That wasn't going to happen, so I caved and bought 2 cans of beer. Better that than cigarettes. 

Cigarettes are a rabbit hole you don't want to go down, my friend, no matter what.

My quit is still intact. I'm so grateful to be quit, and wish anyone who is on the fence, or thinking or lapsing, to stick with it. Quitting and being nicotine-free is so much better. 

Quitting is freedom.

Think of what you can do with the money you'll save. For me, it is stock investments. 

Do what it takes. It's worth it, my friend.

Edited by Kate18
  • Like 9

Well done @Kate18, I think we smoked for so long that there may always be the occasional crave pop up. Luckily though we've learned enough about our addiction to know we never want to go back to day one again!

Hope you feel better soon🤗

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good for you, @Kate18! Seems like there will always be something going on in our lives that will make us think....oh, I really would like a poison stick right now, it will make things better....but it really doesn't! We know this deep down....that's when you knuckle down and say...No, it won't make anything better and you take a big drink of water or a long walk to take your mind to a different place. As time goes on it gets easier....this I know, as do you! 😷

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Kate18 said:

My quit is still intact

Hang in there Kate.  You are a beautiful and awesome woman.  You are so worth a life free of smoking.   When everything in crashing in our lives, our self esteem is so low that we try to self destruct.  Just like pushing through our craves, we have to push through those tough spots in life.  

Always know that you have friends here that care.  I am so glad that you have reached out and let us know how difficult things have been.  I will pray for your health and job.  Stay in touch and keep us informed.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mee said:

Always know that you have friends here that care.    

This is lovely, I guess just knowing that people here take the time to post means that they care. Sounds very tough Kate, but you got through it! 

• Like 4

Well done, you got this, these cravings will sneak up on you when you least expect them too, but its how you handle them that is important and you handled this brilliantly. You got to stand up to the craving and tell it No, nope, not today thank you very much and keep walking your path and you certainly did that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Excellent job getting over that crave despite all you are going through, Kate! Best of luck with your back recovery. Well smoking wouldn't help the budget either, so there's that. Your situation will improve in time. You will get through and come out on top and with your quit intact!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1