New member needs help.

1 hour ago, Gus said:

I’m 26 days quit! I hope that you decide to put yours down for good. It IS a battle. I love this site so much because no one on here lies and says it’s easy. There are tears and anger, mental anguish, and physical pain involved in quitting. Today was harder than when I first quit. I do believe that it will get easier but I also believe that there will always be a time when I ‘need’ a cigarette and the battle will begin anew. I literally just made up my mind that I was done with smoking and would never light up again. Until you decide this on your own I don’t believe there is anything that will make you quit. It’s just the truth of the matter. I do hope you decide to quit. I do hope that you will use this site fully to help you get through the worst of it. We are here for each other. 

My quit day is the same as yours and the last 3 days have been the hardest . I am so preoccupied with missing a cigarette and wanting one. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gus said:

I’m 26 days quit! I hope that you decide to put yours down for good. It IS a battle. I love this site so much because no one on here lies and says it’s easy. There are tears and anger, mental anguish, and physical pain involved in quitting. Today was harder than when I first quit. I do believe that it will get easier but I also believe that there will always be a time when I ‘need’ a cigarette and the battle will begin anew. I literally just made up my mind that I was done with smoking and would never light up again. Until you decide this on your own I don’t believe there is anything that will make you quit. It’s just the truth of the matter. I do hope you decide to quit. I do hope that you will use this site fully to help you get through the worst of it. We are here for each other. 

In the early days for me, there were more tough days than better days (probably the first 4-6 weeks for me). There were up and down days from there on but the up days started to outnumber the down days as time passed. It all happens so slowly it's hard to discern exactly when it gets better more than not.  My point is, if you hang in there for the long run (as you say Gus; making up your mind that you're done with smoking) then it will just happen for you at some point. I was reasonably comfortable with the whole quit thing after 6 weeks or so but it was probably 7 months before I really knew that I was done for good with cigarettes. That's when I started to look with pity rather than envy at others who were smoking. That's when I knew I'd really turned the corner for good. My brain finally got it .... cigarettes were my enemy - not my friend!

• Like 8

Please watch the 3 documentaries we have .....

This was my eye opener ...it made me angry ...and my light bulb moment ...

It explains how there is a board room full of people coming up with new ways to keep the poor smoker 

Hooked ...no wonder we find it hard to quit ....

Knowledge you fight the Demon with Knowledge ....

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Doreensfree said:

Please watch the 3 documentaries we have .....

This was my eye opener ...it made me angry ...and my light bulb moment ...

It explains how there is a board room full of people coming up with new ways to keep the poor smoker 

Hooked ...no wonder we find it hard to quit ....

Knowledge you fight the Demon with Knowledge ....

I've heard some of the stories. Adding things to make the nicotine effects stronger. I will watch them today when I get some time. 

• Like 4

Welcome to the quit train, so sorry to hear of all your health worries. I joined here in 2014 and tried MANY Many times to quit it took me 4 years of stopping and starting a quit, because I kept listening to the addiction, it told me hell you’ll miss me, you won’t cope if you stop, can you imagine life without me, don’t you just love smoking. Then one day I woke up stronger than that voice and I answered it back and told it , I value my life more than you. Each day I didn’t smoke do you know that voice got quieter and quieter, because I kept telling it I can’t hear you. Now I look back and wonder why it took me so long to get here. It feels good. I believe in you and I believe your voice is louder than the addiction, 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JackiMac said:

Welcome to the quit train, so sorry to hear of all your health worries. I joined here in 2014 and tried MANY Many times to quit it took me 4 years of stopping and starting a quit, because I kept listening to the addiction, it told me hell you’ll miss me, you won’t cope if you stop, can you imagine life without me, don’t you just love smoking. Then one day I woke up stronger than that voice and I answered it back and told it , I value my life more than you. Each day I didn’t smoke do you know that voice got quieter and quieter, because I kept telling it I can’t hear you. Now I look back and wonder why it took me so long to get here. It feels good. I believe in you and I believe your voice is louder than the addiction, 

Thanks. Everyone responding is helping me to realize that I can beat this monster that I'm sure has taken some years from my life. I watched the first documentary on the home page and it was eye opening. Thanks again everyone. 

• Like 3

Hard to believe something as small and as stupid looking as a cigarette is could have the control it does .

When I used to think about the pull, you inhale smoke to exhale it back out. Like WHY? Really think about that. 

That is what non smokers see. They see something that looks stupid. Because in reality, it does.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to let everyone know that I've been quit a month now. The smoking wars videos really opened my eyes and gave me the motivation to try again. I'm using Chantix and it has reduced urges greatly. Thanks to everyone who commented and helped me get on the right track. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, GetBack26844462 said:

Just wanted to let everyone know that I've been quit a month now. The smoking wars videos really opened my eyes and gave me the motivation to try again. I'm using Chantix and it has reduced urges greatly. Thanks to everyone who commented and helped me get on the right track. 

nicely done & glad to see ya back

• Like 3

I noticed at first this was an old post and about to scroll down to see how u are now , had you quit and stayed when I found this beautiful lady who has announced she has been quit one month now . Congratulations . I'm not familiar with the videos you mention but so glad they've helped you . Hope you stay here and post . I'm an old quitter yet relatively new the site so hi , I'm Abby . 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Abby said:

I'm not familiar with the videos you mention but so glad they've helped you . 

I believe these are what she's referring to Abby. Interesting Series, each about an hour long.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GetBack26844462 said:

This is great news! I’m glad that you are succeeding! Best of luck to you and remember that we are all here if you need us. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GetBack26844462 said:

Congratulations .....great news ....

Yes those war videos did it for me too...😠

Edited by Doreensfree
  • Like 2

Thanks @reciprocity I'm always interested in learning more . I may have watched a couple of those actually during my research but I know there are  a couple there I have not seen . I'll be watching . 

Glad they helped you as well Doreensfree . 

• Like 2

Wow! I joined after you did, so was unaware of your story! Congratulations on your 1 month being free of this addiction. Your story points out just how strong an addiction it is. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers, regarding your significant health issues. You are still young. My hope is that you have many more years with us. And, please stick around. As well as being a place to get valuable info and help, when you’re struggling, it’s fun here.

KAT

• Like 4