New member needs help.

Hello, I found this site and joined to see if I could get some help. I'm in my mid fifties and been a pack and a half smoker since I was a teenager. I have copd, emphysema and was diagnosed with lung cancer last year. I've gone through chemo and radiation and got good news that the tumors have shrunk and stopped growing. Starting immunotherapy soon. Even after all this, my dumb ass is still smoking. I quit for a month and was vaping but now I've started back. I'm so damn mad at myself and feel so weak. I thought for sure a cancer diagnosis if anything would get me to stop. But I'm still smoking and want to quit so bad. I've tried Chantix but was having weird dreams. Has anyone else struggled like this and been able to quit? 

• Sad 1

Welcome getback, sorry about health problems and cancer but glad they've been able to get it under control. 

6 minutes ago, GetBack26844462 said:

Has anyone else struggled like this and been able to quit? 

Most of us struggled in our early days but we all knew from others who had been there before us that it was possible and very doable. Look at all the quitters here, some relapsed a few times before getting their forever quit but they did get there! We're not special, we all have our own reasons for quitting, mine was health related too, and all of us are here to support you in getting yours 😊

You have nothing to gain by continuing to smoke and are pretty much playing Russian Roulette with your life. But we can help you succeed if you let us. 😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to Quit Train GB!
As Jillar said, we've all struggled greatly when trying to quit. This is a very powerful addiction you're dealing with but it IS beatable! 

I'm sorry to hear of your medical issues but you know 2 things are true: 1. A large causation factor was your smoking. 2. You can't change what's happened in the past but quitting will give you the absolute best chance at improving your quality of life going forward!

I would recommend you stick around this site and soak up all the information about quitting that there is here ... and there's a lot! You will also get a lot of non-judgmental support here from other quitters. It really is a very tight knit quitters community here and we really do 'get it'.

Look at quitting only day to day or even hour to hour in the early days. It makes things less overwhelming. Everyone here has either quit successfully or is in the process of doing that so you have come to the right place. Take back control of your life GetBack! 

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hey there getback, I wish everyone who smokes would quit. Unfortunately , neither I or anyone else can make you quit. This is something that you truly need to do on your own. You need to take this brush with cancer to as a sign. You don't get to many second chances life. So, when you actually get one you need to make the most of it. We will be here to support your choice if you decide to take advantage of said second chance. Have faith that you can quit and have a happier life.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Welcome aboard  GB.....

Sorry to hear about your Health issues ...Quitting can only help it going any worse ....

As you can see ..some members here have good stable quits ...showing you it's so doable ...

All you need is the desire to Quit ...

Make a solid choice to Never Stick Anything In Your Mouth And Set Fire To It ...

You smoked again because you were still going through the motions with Vaping ...

You need to retrain your brain away from this ritual.....

We have tons of great information on the Main Smoking Board ...to get you started ...

We have some great newbies ,you can travel along with ....

You can do it ....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi welcome.

We all had trouble quitting I found that once I accepted I was addicted to nicotine and always would be quitting got easier.

You have to make a proper decision that you won't smoke again initially for a day and keep to that no matter what.

Then repeat that avoidance each day.

At first time will move slowly and it will be difficult.

But eventually time speeds back up to normal and life gets easier.

Read widely on here and learn about other people's efforts.

Good luck stay strong

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, GetBack26844462 said:

Has anyone else struggled like this and been able to quit?

As addicts, we all struggled to quit.  The fact that you are smoking after battling lung cancer is a prime example of how addictive smoking is.  I smoked through breast cancer surgery and radiation.  My quit finally came after I found this forum.  There is plenty of information and support here.  You just need to throw those cigarettes away and power through the craves.  Make this place your new addiction.  Share your feelings and write about your quit journey, help encourage others and play some games.  Post an SOS if you feel your are going to smoke.  Don't allow your addiction to take up one more minute of your life.  You are no different than any of us.  You can quit too!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Wow.  Most people would be tossing those butts and never looking back after a COPD and lung cancer diagnosis. But it just goes to show how insidious this addiction is.  The good news is that once you're able to recognize just how this addiction deceives you into believing you can't quit, you've won half the battle. We build up a wall of excuses that justifies continued smoking.  It's time to tear down that lame-ass rationale and believe that you are strong enough to overcome each and every urge that comes your way.  As you grow stronger, the addiction eventually grows weaker.  The time for action is now @GetBack26844462.  Recognize your own value.  You're worth it!   

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, GetBack26844462 said:

But I'm still smoking and want to quit so bad. 

When I'm asked: "how did you quit smoking?", my answer is always the same: "I quit putting cigarettes in my mouth and lighting them on fire."

It really is that simple.

The moment I wanted to quit more than I wanted to smoke, things just started to fall into place.

Edited by Boo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@GetBack26844462  My aunt years ago had emphysema and would turn off her oxygen to smoke then turn it back on when she was finished smoking. She died at 42 years old. 

Smoking is so bad, its so addicting, its unreal the hold it has on people. 

Just one day at a time. You will get there when you really want to get there. 

My biggest regret is the day I started. Now it is a never ending battle to win this war.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Everyone struggles differently, but anyone who has quit smoking or on that smoke-free train knows it is one hell of a battle. 

I am new here also. On my 25th smoke-free day and the last few days have been rough.

If I could start my 25 days over again knowing now how I miss the 'action' of smoking I would have cut down gradually to adjust to it. 

Like every 2 hours for several days then every 3 hours for several days and so on so it didn't have to be the 'All or nothing'. When you stop it all at once the thought

of never having another cigarette is scary and sometimes seems like an impossible task. At least if I was smoking every 6 hours I would know on that 6th hour I would be getting one. It just seems like it would have been more doable that way. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

@Barb63, I missed the motions of smoking too and used an air cigarette, my JAC (jillars air cigarette) for the bad craves. 

I simply pretended I was holding an actual cigarette in my fingers and then went through the motions of "smoking" it. I could not believe how well it worked at tricking my mind into thinking it was getting the real thing. I might have looked like an idiot smoking an invisible cigarette but I didn't care because it worked so well. Some people use pens or cut straws, even licorice whips!  Maybe give that a try?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The cutting down method.....

Why put yourself through all that torture ...

Clock watching all day ....just waiting for the clock to tick over to that magic time for when you can smoke again..

This is junkie thinking ...

I have bumped a thread about this on the Main Board for you to read ...

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Doreensfree said:

Clock watching all day ....just waiting for the clock to tick over to that magic time for when you can smoke again..

I will check it out. Thanks to everyone that has replied. I'm just so pissed at myself for letting my health get to this point and still doing an act that I know is killing me. I'm going to sit down and read through this site and try again. 

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, Doreensfree said:

This made me laugh. Ha! Thanks.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jillar said:

@Barb63, I missed the motions of smoking too and used an air cigarette, my JAC (jillars air cigarette) for the bad craves. 

I simply pretended I was holding an actual cigarette in my fingers and then went through the motions of "smoking" it. I could not believe how well it worked at tricking my mind into thinking it was getting the real thing. I might have looked like an idiot smoking an invisible cigarette but I didn't care because it worked so well. Some people use pens or cut straws, even licorice whips!  Maybe give that a try?

I was going to save my last cigarette and put tape around it to keep it intact to use as a pretend smoke but I broke my last 2 . I found fake cigarettes online, 2 in a package for a few bucks, I am going to get them and pretend smoke. I do think they will be helpful. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, jillar said:

It helped me a lot @Barb63. I preferred my invisible one, mostly because I didn't have to worry about forgetting it someplace when I needed it 😋

🧐🤔 I can just imagine walking down the street smoking invisibly. 

Edited by Barb63
  • Haha 4

Something like these. Just google 'fake cigarettes'. 

Maybe holding one and pretending to smoke it .....maybe it will help with the mental need of the actual activity of smoking. 

Screenshot 2021-04-12 180616.jpg

5 minutes ago, Barb63 said:

Something like these. Just google 'fake cigarettes'. 

Maybe holding one and pretending to smoke it .....maybe it will help with the mental need of the actual activity of smoking. 

Screenshot 2021-04-12 180616.jpg

I worry about those because they look TOO much like the real thing and could defeat the purpose of an air cigarette. Maybe rethink that?...

• Like 2

I think it'd be best to use a pen, cut straw, licorice or like me invisible. You don't want to mimic smoking so much as you want to satisfy the hand to mouth movements....

• Like 4

I’m 26 days quit! I hope that you decide to put yours down for good. It IS a battle. I love this site so much because no one on here lies and says it’s easy. There are tears and anger, mental anguish, and physical pain involved in quitting. Today was harder than when I first quit. I do believe that it will get easier but I also believe that there will always be a time when I ‘need’ a cigarette and the battle will begin anew. I literally just made up my mind that I was done with smoking and would never light up again. Until you decide this on your own I don’t believe there is anything that will make you quit. It’s just the truth of the matter. I do hope you decide to quit. I do hope that you will use this site fully to help you get through the worst of it. We are here for each other. 

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Gus said:

but I also believe that there will always be a time when I ‘need’ a cigarette and the battle will begin anew. 

There's never a time to "need" a cigarette and I promise you that the longer you stay quit the easier it is to stay quit. The battle won't begin anew. It will just be a thought that pops in your head that will be easily dismissed. It just takes time....🤗

• Like 1