Depression and quitting smoking.

Robbie

@Robbie, when I was newly quit I seemed obsessed with it too. I thought of it all day long, woke up thinking about it, went through all the phases of grief from losing it... And there's a lot more of us who were the same so you're totally normal. We're getting "clean" from our addiction so you feeling that way is totally normal and won't last forever🤗

• Like 4

I agree, it's totally normal to be obsessed with quitting.  Which is why this forum is so important.  People who have never smoked don't really understand it.  And those still smoking don't want to hear it.  Folks here having gone through the same experience are the only ones who can relate. 

Congratulations on 31 days.  You should get a ticker.  It's kind of cool to see the number of cigs not smoked and the money saved.

• Like 5

We get it !!!!

We have been there .....I was on the forum 24/7.my sleeping pattern was trashed for a while 

So I spent my time reading and Learning ,and staying close to get me through the tough times ...

Thankfully it does get better as time goes on ..the addiction weakens ....

We have all been where you are ...it's totally normal ....

• Like 3

I just thought I would drop by to say that today was the first day during this quit that I felt really happy about not being a smoker! This is big for me as I have suffered from quite bad depression and loads of tears through most of my quit attempt, but today I felt really good about it...so many things; I can smell again, enjoying the taste of food, I have spare cash (bought myself some nice food while listening to live music), noticed it's a little easier for me to breathe and I'm no longer worried that I stink of cigarettes when someone comes close to me to talk. I have no idea how long this feeling will last, but just for today...it felt really good! 1457504381_Miceandpincushion.gif.fc1490bea18d32858b9ae49eb4a4439d.gif

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Robbie said:

I just thought I would drop by to say that today was the first day during this quit that I felt really happy about not being a smoker! 

Congratulations Robbie.

The good days are going to outnumber the bad looking forward.

Reap the benefits and enjoy your newfound freedom.

• Like 4

Hi everyone, I'm going ok in my new smoke free life! I'm working on a few dates to reach as personal milestones i.e. out lasting my longest quit, reaching my birthday etc. etc. Those short term goals seem to work for me. I don't have really strong cravings or urges for cigarettes now (thank goodness!), but I have noticed just a sense of uneasiness or that feeling that something is not quite right with me! I imagine that this feeling could hang around for quite a while and it comes from the places where a cigarette used to be. I also have this feeling when I see someone smoking in the street. Luckily it doesn't bother me too much, but it's interesting to observe what is going on during these early quit days. Ready to take on day 38! 

• Like 7

@Robbie Great going! 🙌 WooHoo! I also have that feeling you were describing. I likened it to a constant state of low tension. Like just being on the verge of a low level anxiety attack. It went away after a couple of days though. All I can say is stay busy. Busy, busy, busy. My problem with that is that I’m 55 and after the second busy I am tired. LOL But napping works as well as being busy. Just not very healthy to do to much of. Good luck and I was just wondering about you yesterday. So glad to see that you are still with us. 🙂

• Like 4

Hi @Robbie, I think short goals is a fantastic idea and one most of us used as well. Its so much easier mentally to just stay quit today and then tomorrow do it again. That's why we do the daily NOPE. Its just for today we promise not one puff 😊🤗

Edited by jillar
  • Like 3

On 5/9/2021 at 4:47 AM, Robbie said:

I just thought I would drop by to say that today was the first day during this quit that I felt really happy about not being a smoker! This is big for me as I have suffered from quite bad depression and loads of tears through most of my quit attempt, but today I felt really good about it...so many things; I can smell again, enjoying the taste of food, I have spare cash (bought myself some nice food while listening to live music), noticed it's a little easier for me to breathe and I'm no longer worried that I stink of cigarettes when someone comes close to me to talk. I have no idea how long this feeling will last, but just for today...it felt really good! 1457504381_Miceandpincushion.gif.fc1490bea18d32858b9ae49eb4a4439d.gif

This is a HUGE step forward Robbie!!! And guess what? The things you noticed that day will last a lifetime as long as you don't smoke. Sure, there will still be some down days as your quit journey continues but as long as you keep focused on the positives you're seeing after quitting, the more you're going to enjoy them. Each one is a small thing but put together, they will make a huge positive difference in your future :) 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Robbie said:

I don't have really strong cravings or urges for cigarettes now (thank goodness!), but I have noticed just a sense of uneasiness or that feeling that something is not quite right with me! 

It takes a little while to get there, but we are surprisingly adaptable.  

In the early days of my quit, I had some white-knuckle moments where I was hanging on for dear life.  Now, I can't even imagine smoking another cigarette.

You're doing great Robbie.  Keep on trucking.

• Like 5

So many nice posts in this thread.  Seems like you inspire people @Robbie!  Hope you stick around and that you stick with your quit.  The freedom is so worth any temporary discomfort you may feel.

Congratulations on 38 days of freedom!!!  😊

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone, you are a very kind bunch! My reality is that I'm mostly alone, but when I log on here I feel connected and it's a good feeling. It's amazing when you think about it, that we are all connected over beating a horrible addiction, but thank goodness you are all here as it would be too tough doing this alone...I know because I have tried unsuccessfully. I haven't been seriously tested yet, as I was when I last quit; I have a woman friend who I was telling that I felt quite low in mood since I quit smoking...so she says "Here, would you like a couple of cigarettes?" (stupid question), so I foolishly took them and smoked for another year! I haven't seen her yet during this quit but this time I'm prepared for it. I don't think she's really happy about me quitting because she hasn't been able to, we humans have a complex way of relating to each other sometimes. Another friend, who is an ex smoker is supportive, but not really that interested in my journey as she quit more than 10 years ago. It can become boring to these people I find. 

This forum is great because people are genuinely interested in the day to day difficulties as well as the long term successes. Once again THANK YOU everyone!! 

• Like 10

30 minutes ago, Robbie said:

I log on here I feel connected and it's a good feeling

So true. I do not have anyone to speak my journey with either. No one has the time or inclination to just sit and hear you out. Most resent you for daring to and succeeding in breaking the chains of addiction, especially if you have to walk away leaving them in theirs to save yourself. Others have no need to acknowledge or address you anymore because they can’t belittle you by shooing your reeking presence away or whispering about your addiction behind your back. I truly feel that I can come here and voice my struggles and all of my thoughts with absolutely no judgment. And the kindness here is genuine. Because that kindness is based on truth. The best kind of kindness. The kindness that praises you for every victory and the kindness that will give you a swift kick in the rear when needed. The kindness that holds you accountable but will help guide you along the path to the old you, maybe a new you; but definitely a whole you! 🤗

• Like 5

Robbie ....Your friend is probably is angry ,she has lost her smoking partner.....

While she had you by her side it justified her still smoking ....

Deep down every smoker on the planet would love to be were you are ...Free...

Feel sorry for her ...she is still locked in her addiction ...

That is why she will offer you her cigarette,s.....hoping you take the bait ....

Stay strong .....show her it can be done ...who knows she may join you ...

• Like 4

On 5/14/2021 at 8:26 PM, Robbie said:

I haven't seen her yet during this quit but this time I'm prepared for it. I don't think she's really happy about me quitting because she hasn't been able to, we humans have a complex way of relating to each other sometimes.

Crabs in a bucket.

If a bunch of crabs are trapped in a bucket, inevitably one or two of them will try to escape.  The other crabs could escape as well but they spend their energy on pulling the ones trying to escape back into the bucket.  Crab mentality is all too common in human beings: if I can't do it, neither can you.

image.png.d73c2cffe5499d3544f224ca4ca901ef.png

• Like 5

Robbie, you just expressed the value of this forum so beautifully.  That's exactly what it is.  This is a group of people that are hard to find in our lives.

Btw, during my initial days, I wanted to tell every smoker I saw that they could quit, yes it was possible, there was no reason for them to keep smoking and spoil their health etc.   I wanted to shout it out to every smoker - quitting was so big to me.

Edited by d2e8b8
  • Like 4

Just passed my 'personal best' of forty days, I'm up to forty three days and mostly doing well! My lungs are still not that good, but that's to be expected after 40+ years of polluting them, so I'm hoping things will improve there. I guess my main improvement is that my taste buds have been resurrected! Can't believe how delicious lots of foods taste now...I sure have been missing out all those years! Amazing......

Laughing Mouse.gif

• Like 7