Depression and quitting smoking.

Robbie

Hi, my name is Robbie (female) and I live in Australia. I Googled 'quit smoking forums' and didn't find much in Australia, so have ended up here; I guess the journey off nicotine is much the same the world over anyway! I have stopped smoking a few times especially this year and mostly just last a few days or weeks...my best effort was 40 days before a 'friend' offered me a cigarette and I stupidly took it and smoked it. I've been using a nicotine spray in the mouth which seems to help although I have only stopped three days ago. My biggest problem is terrible depression when I'm off the cigarettes. I basically cry a lot and feel very low in mood and spirits, so of course this is happening again but this time I'm going to 'tough it out' as best I can. I don't have any support people around me and it gets very hard at times. My addict brain tells me just to go and buy a packet, because unfortunately they do help lift the depression temporarily, but I have a multitude of health problems related to too many years of smoking. Already I find my breathing is better, but I'm very, very tearful! I mentioned it to my doctor during my last attempt but he didn't seem particularly interested and wasn't helpful. I'm sure others would have had this depression, I'm not especially irritable, just crying a lot most days. Any thoughts from other quitters? Thanks 

• Like 4

Welcome Robbie, you came to the right place. There is a great group here and lots of info to read  about the nicotine addiction. For me I just made it to my 3 month quit,so I am fairly new too. But I can tell you I was very depressed when I quit and did cry slot. It will let up after a while. Congratulations on your quit and hang in there.

• Like 6

G’day Robbie 

yep! another Aussie. 

Cause I’ve givin up so long ago. How the hell can you afford to smoke?

I’am just so shocked at the price of the cigs! In aust now 

I gave up cause I’d had a bloody bad cold and asked my doc for some chamix.

I wasn’t willing to give back a quit after so many years of being trapped.

It became so much of a victory after 40 years of smoking . I Love being a non smoker!

Since my quit I’ve survive cancer. Some strokes. Shite! Life throws them at ya!

i love being a non smoker..... if I was to get lung cancer. Throat cancer..... cause I’d been a smoker. You know.... I’d still go to my “maker” a non smoker.

Mate... trust me... it’s worth it 

• Like 6

Welcome to Quit Train Robbie! There's a lot of information about smoking and quitting here so do have a good look around. The thread titles showing a green pin at the top of some pages like The SOS Page, Introductions and smoking discussion pages are worth a read. There a whole page of quit smoking videos as well that can be very helpful.

I know there are people here on the board who have struggled with depression as part of their quits and have managed to battle through successfully so know that it IS possible for you.

Hope you enjoy your stay here and that we can help give you some tips and pointers that will help you :) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Welcome Robbie.  So glad you found his forum.  Plenty of info, support and humor here. I did deal with depression with my quit; but in reality, I had depression before I quit.

I am surprised your doctor did not prescribe something to help with the depression. If it continues, maybe try talking to him again.  It is normal to experience depression, while quitting.  As an addict, we view smoking as a relationship or friendship.  Our brains have to work through the loss of something we repeatedly did for many years. 

You are strong enough to push through those craves.  Hang around and get to know us. Post an SOS if you feel like smoking.  The journey does get easier.

• Like 3

Welcome aboard Robbie ....

As mentioned we do have folks here that suffer with Depression.....

Our bodies are all over the place when we first quit....we have been putting poison in ourselves for 

Decades ...

The body has Alot of healing to do ....

Make sure you read as much as you can ..watch Joel's videos ....

This place if full of good to help you along your way ....

Stay close ....

You can do it ....

There are folks here all over the world ....we are 1 Big Happy Family ..

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Robbie said:

My addict brain tells me just to go and buy a packet, because unfortunately they do help lift the depression temporarily,

Don't mistake withdrawal for anything other than what it is.  Smoking a cigarette will temporarily relieve an addict of the withdrawal symptoms.  A cigarette is not some magic elixir.  We smoked because we craved nicotine.  We craved nicotine because we smoked.  The only problem solved by a cigarette is the problem caused by the cigarette.

It's not uncommon to attach a myriad of other issues to the withdrawal symptoms experienced during the early days of the quit.  In the past, I've blamed everything from a stumped toe to bad weather on the fact that I quit smoking.  These issues were unrelated to my smoking status, but my addicted and conditioned brain assured me that one cigarette would make it all better.

I find it best to isolate issues and handle each one as a separate entity.  Things feel less overwhelming that way.

Welcome to the Quit Train Robbie.

• Like 5

Thanks everyone, yes I do suffer from depression and am on medication for it, but it gets a lot worse when I stop smoking. I just have to tough it out and hope that things improve. As cbdave mentioned the cost of smoking in Australia is outrageous...roughly $1.60 per cigarette these days and those are mostly fairly poor quality imported cigarettes! Our government just rakes in the taxes! Anyway I'm up to day four and going to treat myself to a massage with the money I have saved already and hope that the tears dry up today.

• Like 4

Welcome Robbie, I am also newly quit as of 2/18/21. I suffer from bipolar depression and I take medication for it. I dealt with things a long time by smoking, but the older I get, the more health problems I have due to smoking for so many years. Hang in there as it gets better over time. I still get feelings of sadness out of nowhere some days, but I know smoking will not fix them and it will only make it worse. I have been walking more lately and drinking more water. We are glad to have you here. Stick close as there is lots of supportive people around the train. 🙂

• Like 5

Thanks Steven, yes it's especially tough with any mental illness. I really appreciate the support from the quit train already as I don't have any from anywhere else. I've also found walking and drinking water helpful, as is the nicotine mouth spray for when the cravings get serious. Thanks everyone!

• Like 3

Hi Robbie welcome aboard and congratulations on taking your life back! What I've seen with members here who suffer from depression is that quitting helped them immensely. It wasn't right away because we all have to go through the early doldrums of quitting. Some cry more, some are sad, some are more irritable like I was. But with time quit it all got much better 😊

• Like 4

Hey @Robbie! One of our members, MLMR, had issues with depression and anxiety yet managed to successfully quit and kept the log of her journey in one ongoing thread. Right from her joining us to her successful 1 year celebration and beyond. Check it out by clicking on the title below! It may give you some insights as to how you might best proceed.

Not only can you be successful in quitting but you can also achieve positive growth as a person by quitting. There will be benefits to quitting you haven't even imagined at this point but it doesn't come easy. It will be so worth it though :) 

• Like 5

Welcome on Board and you are certainly in the best place, I need to share a story with you if I may, I suffer very badly with anxiety and depression and have done for many years, 4 years ago was my worst breakdown ever, long story I am sure you don't want to know but half way through my breakdown I decided that it was time to give up the cigs yet again, I'd had enough of them controlling my life, and that is what it is about really, nicotine takes control and makes us think all these things that you are describing and we believe it and listen to it. I used to read all the wonderful advice that the lovelies on here gave each time my quit failed, and thought to myself I will never feel like that, never feel like I've got my stick quit. But do you know something you do get to that point, you do reach a point where you realise that YOU WILL never go back to smoking again, I managed it when my life was at its lowest point, and you will manage it as well. Just don't listen to the nicotine demon instead listen to the voice that is saying its time to love yourself again. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone, some great advice and thoughts here. I'm up to day 5 and just sort of dragging myself through each day, but not in tears so much. Trying to stay strong because each time that I restart my quitting I just have to go through these fairly horrible first few days...I've started and stopped a few times this year. We are heading into Winter here in Australia and today is freezing and rainy, so that makes it hard to go out walking, but I'm also reminding myself that Winter is the worst time for me as a smoker as I seem to cough non-stop. This Winter will be better! JackiMac thanks for your post. I often used to think 'oh I'm too depressed to stop smoking' but I have to just get through it this time as I have suffered from depression for a long time. At present, I'm feeling quietly confident, but as we all know it can be 'skating on thin ice' at the start! Thanks again for taking the time to post every one.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Robbie said:

Thanks everyone, some great advice and thoughts here. I'm up to day 5 and just sort of dragging myself through each day, but not in tears so much. Trying to stay strong because each time that I restart my quitting I just have to go through these fairly horrible first few days...I've started and stopped a few times this year. We are heading into Winter here in Australia and today is freezing and rainy, so that makes it hard to go out walking, but I'm also reminding myself that Winter is the worst time for me as a smoker as I seem to cough non-stop. This Winter will be better! JackiMac thanks for your post. I often used to think 'oh I'm too depressed to stop smoking' but I have to just get through it this time as I have suffered from depression for a long time. At present, I'm feeling quietly confident, but as we all know it can be 'skating on thin ice' at the start! Thanks again for taking the time to post every one.

Gday

yup that’s so true. You have a cig now and you have to give back all those days you’ve gone through to get to this point. Puff... all gone in puff of smoke literally . And where do you end up? Straight back to the point that you were wishing you were back to where you are now! Crazy really but that’s a smokers life for you.

Keep it up You’ll do well

• Like 6

I agree. Stopping and starting is a losing proposition! Perpetual hard withdrawal - Yikes!

You're five days in. That first week (hell week) is the worst but it's also where we learn our coping skills that will carry us through the months to come so look at it as your learning curve. I think we all pretty much had to drag ourselves kicking and sometimes screaming through those early quit days so you're in good company. 

You're getting through the really tough part now though so carry on because although there will be ups and downs, it will continue to improve overall. Stay the course Robbie :) 

• Like 5

Nice to meet you Robbie . 

Without the Patch when I tried to stop in the past I felt like I was having a nervous breakdown, I would cry and actually felt if I didn't get a cigarette I would fall over the edge.

With the Patch I don't . I guess those feelings were from the physical withdraw. I can't even imagine how I would last going through 

both the physical and mental withdraw the same time. The mental need and addiction is bad enough. 

• Like 4

Yes I have had strong feelings like that too Barb63, I cried almost non-stop for the first three days of this quit. I also felt like I may have a breakdown at times, but I'm feeling more 'stable' now thankfully. I'm eight days off the cigarettes. You are doing so well and to not have a cough or breathlessness anymore must be a huge boost to your confidence! I'm not coughing now, but still short of breath at times, really hoping that improves. Sometimes I get an urge to smoke and it's a bit like someone punching me in the stomach, but I have to stay strong as I really can't go back to smoking. Sounds like it would be a very bad move for you too! All the best Barb.

• Like 3

Welcome Robbie,

My name is Craig and It's just strange as to why I checked in tonight. Call it intuition or just being at the right place at the right time. Well to start things off I am off the cigs for quite some time now. Years to be exact but I will not give the time frame only because you need to focus on now and today and each minute. I recognize a few familiar names here and it's great to see them here still also. I can so relate with you as far as the depression goes. OMG it was so bad for me it dropped me to my knees some days. Just prayed to God to get me through this, I am not what you would call a every sunday church goer, actually not even close. But I have faith in my own way and it's very personal.  I'm here to just relate as other here have also, it's a rollercoaster ride that will take you to the brink of hell then let you breath a little before it grabs a hold of you again. Addiction is a demon all of it's own nature, if it was easy nobody would be smoking, chew, snuff or vaping,  knowing how bad it is for you. I have seen a man sitting at a bar with oxygen and light up..no joke. Oxygen caught fire and burned the left side of his face. McAllister was his last name a friend of my cousin, died a bit later a couple of years but the cigs did him in, 48yrs old. Now tell me that's not being addicted to the most extreme. Anyway the best advice I can give you is be patient with yourself, cry if you need to, yell if you need to, dance in circles if you need to, I use to walk out in the rain and just let it hit my face and cry. Just remember nobody knows when you cry in the rain. I'm not going to lie to you quitting smoking after 30 years was by far the hardest thing in my life I ever did. Just have faith in yourself and ride each bad minute or second out cause it will get better I promise. I will not give you a time frame on that either cause every quit is unique to that individual and personal. You can NEVER compare your quit to someone else. Don't question shouldn't I feel better by now, Why do I still have cravings ? My favorite one...When will this madness end ?? It will end when your body and brain are back in sync again. It will happen though..before you know it , it will be one good minute a day, then 5 good minutes, then 10, then a half hour and so on and so on. A few set backs along the way..of course why wouldn't there be, just be patient with yourself it will get better. Just need to learn new coping skills and believe it or not fun skills where I just plain ole enjoyed a smoke. It was both of them for me as many others are also. The best thing is realizing you are not alone on this, that is why this forum is here. It's a GOD sent for sure. I had anxiety and depression which go hand and hand from one extreme to the other. I do crave once and a while yet but it is so quick it's like a blink of an eye. I just think to myself ... really you can't think of anything better to think of than a smoke ? Get the h.. out of here. Move on to another thought just like that. Keep at it and you will be there one day. Another true and honest point I have to say is, I was so screwed up when I quit smoking that I am so afraid of where I was I don't EVER want that feeling again. That alone keeps me from ever lighting up again. If there ever was being at the brink of hell emotionally I was there ! Well I think I rambled on enough here, very sorry I can't keep checking in every day. This is a great place to get the help and courage you need to keep your quit.  Those were very dark days in my life which I am glad I weathered the storm as you can also. Change isn't easy nor adjusting and learning new coping skills but they will all fall in place in time, be patient. I'm not going to say good luck on your quit, I am going to say, you got this and you can do it take the set backs in stride and don't be to hard on yourself. Believe in yourself and it doesn't hurt to ask for help ... Good Lord is there 24/7. Take Care. Sorry shows my quit time anyway..lol. You got this !!

Edited by stzr500
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Good to see you again ....

Congratulations on your Wonderful Quit ...

Thank you for coming here and taking the time to write about your own quitting experience....

You have no idea how many folks you have helped with this straight honest post ....

Come back as often as you can ....

• Like 4

13 hours ago, stzr500 said:

I will not give you a time frame on that either cause every quit is unique to that individual and personal. You can NEVER compare your quit to someone else. Don't question shouldn't I feel better by now, Why do I still have cravings ? My favorite one...When will this madness end ?? It will end when your body and brain are back in sync again. 

A very important point.  Your quit is yours and yours alone.

I've been here long enough to see a few new quitters get themselves all wound up.  Worried that their experience is not identical to that of someone else.

Am I doing it right?  One simple yes-or-no question is all that is needed here: Did I smoke today?  If you answered no, you are doing it right.  If you answered yes, you are not doing it right and need to start over.

This is a simple process.  

• Like 6