I lost my quit!

JH63

I lost my quit yesterday, Easter Sunday.  I sabotaged it myself.  I waited the 24 hrs. before smoking, but I didn't come here and post an SOS. I had submitted an SOS just a little ways back and I  went back and read all those great responses. I guess I didn't want to be talked out of it. 

Again, just like all the other attempts, I never fully committed. I just didn't smoke. Without that commitment my whole quit was harder than it needed to be and ended in failure.  No excuses,  I made the choice to smoke! 

I want to thank everyone here for your support and encouragement over these past months.

I have no idea where I am headed now. Without a full commitment to quit smoking on my part, it's a futile effort.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

That is sad. Life is never better with a cigarette in your mouth. Health and wealth are jeopardised.

I hope you can gather the strength and commitment to start a new quit soon, before serious problems occur.

Wishing you all the best .

• Like 4

You didn't lose your Quit Jeff.... you know where it went ..it's not lost ...

Carnt tell you how much this has made me sad.....

I'm sure we will see you back at some stage ....

I've never met a person who went back to Smoking and said they were gloriously happy ...

They just smoke and wait it out till they have mustered up enough strength to try again ..

Very sad indeed ...

• Like 7

3 hours ago, JH63 said:

I have no idea where I am headed now. Without a full commitment to quit smoking on my part, it's a futile effort.

I hope you head back to the train.  You had a great quit going.  No excused except giving into your addiction.

• Like 3

You didn't lose your quit Jeff, you threw it away .... willingly. That's what our addiction wants us to do ..... throw in the towel and feed it whenever it demands. You know, slavery to nicotine addiction. There's not one of us here that can instill in you the commitment required to successfully quit. That must come from you and you alone! You'll find that commitment one day. Keep looking for it and come back when you find it. 

• Like 6

Sorry to hear this. You can`t change what has happened in the past but you can change the ending yet to come. Think about this for a bit. Most all of us have tried to quit and have failed before it stuck. You know you don`t want to smoke and you will quit someday. just hope it`s sooner than later. best wishes.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, JH63 said:

Of course you know where you're headed...to a solid quit. I was a serial quitter over a long period of time, but the desire to quit grew stronger as time went by.

I found my "why," a strong "why." When you find a strong enough reason to quit, you will.

An effort, even if failed, is not futile, in my opinion. You learned something--your reason to quit wasn't strong enough.

Don't give up on yourself.  If you didn't want to quit, you wouldn't have attempted it in the first place.

Good luck!

• Like 6

Hi Jeff! Waddya mean, lost. Sounds like you put it aside.

So, just pick it back up...sooner than later to save your lungs. You will be fine! If you are a smoker for 1 month over a period of 2 years...so what! Just get back on that horse ASAP! Keep on a quittin! is what I say! Come back to Freedomland! Just quit again...right quickly! Your happier lungs will rejoice once again.

• Like 7

The Quit Train still believes in you Jeff....

When are you going to believe in yourself ????

You can Quit ....you just need to stay the course ....

No getting off the Train ..till it come to the station called Freedom .....

Your seat is still empty ....

• Like 9

Never quit the quit and keep coming back!!  Educate yourself!  Once you fully understand the addiction, you will have absolutely NO PROBLEM committing to your quit because you will KNOW beyond doubt that smoking does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for you.  NOTHING!

Smother yourself in videos and reading material!!  CONSTANTLY!  It's what helped me!  I even got an app to go to sleep to for quitting smoking.  I Saturated myself in it KNOWING that one day it will "sink in" as long as kept doing it.  Daily actions!  that is what counts!

Hope you get back on the quit train and NOPE!

• Like 6

On 4/10/2021 at 1:55 PM, Doreensfree said:

Welcome Board @Barb63....

Congratulations on your Fabulous Quit ...

I was your age when I quit ...after smoking 52 years ....

WE have lots of good information and videos to watch ...Knowledge ....this will be your weapon to fight the Demon.

Check out the Main Smoking board ...a great place to start ....

we are all different ...I felt like I had to be here 24/7....

Take your time to look around the forum...get to know us all...we are one big happy family ..😀

• Like 2

Sorry to hear of the relapse, @JH63! Took me 3 times before I found my "sticky quit" and I know many others here went through the quit/relapse cycle a few times before success finally happened. The info available on QTrain and the support to be found here is some of the best.....but you have to really want to stop the addiction once and for all. Hope you find your way back here when that happens!

• Like 4

@Doreensfree Yes, I am ready to stop smoking again! When I'm quit, all I do is think about staying quit. When I'm smoking, all I think about is quitting. I thought I could just forget about it, but I can't. I stopped seven times last year alone. I guess I'm headed for the same fate this year.

@AngeleekThanks, I think I know what you are saying. Maybe not?  I did not smoke for a total of 121 days last year.  Even if I couldn't quit completely, I helped myself a little bit.

@reciprocity Your correct, I used the wrong word. I threw it away!

@bakon Yes it was nasty, reminded me of how I felt when I found out I was dating my first cousin.

Take Care My Friends! 

• Like 5

Yaaa.....

Once you've took in all the information about smoking ....I think you can never go back ..

I'm proud of you Jeff....deep down you want this .....

Take your  seat ..it's still warm ...fasten up ....and let us help you to Freedom ....

Time to rid yourself of all those poisons....😀

• Like 4

On 4/5/2021 at 8:31 AM, JH63 said:

Without a full commitment to quit smoking on my part, it's a futile effort.

No, no, no, you don't need a full commitment in order to be on the path to quitting. Yes, we'd all like to have an epiphany and say, "That's it, I'm 100% convinced, I'll never smoke again." Some people have that, whether it's because someone they love died of a smoking-related disease, or they just got sick and tired of spending all that money to enrich tobacco moguls. (When you don't smoke, it's amazing how much money you have to invest in stocks.)

This is sometimes a journey to being a nonsmoker, not an instant teleportation to going from smoking to a nonsmoking space.  I was a serial quitter for a couple of years, maybe three. The only reason I'm quit today (1 yr and almost 2 months) is because every time I lapsed, I'd tell myself that I'd keep at it, I'd keep looking for reasons that were strong enough to keep me from smoking.  I'd stop for a while--days, weeks, even months.  When Covid hit, I had my strong enough reason--my kids would be devastated if I died of Covid because my lungs were compromised by smoking.

It's easy to say, "well, I'm not 100% into being a nonsmoker, so I won't try at all."  Keep quitting front and center in your mind, even as you light the next cigarette. Keep being a nonsmoker as your aim. At some point, if you keep piling on the reasons to quit, you'll reach your tipping point and quit for good. 

Good luck, my friend

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@Kate18  Thanks, I understand what you are saying.  I'll just keep on quitting, or stopping, and maybe something will happen in the future that causes it to stick.

I tried to just walk any from my last quit and forget about it. Take all that stress of staying quit off my mind.   It didn't work!  I just kept thinking about how I needed to not be smoking.  I started another quit three days later and I'm still struggling to keep it.  But that's nothing new to me.  Everyday is a struggle with cigarettes, quit or not.  Maybe I'll just end up having not smoked more days this year than last. Take Care!

49 minutes ago, JH63 said:

Maybe I'll just end up having not smoked more days this year than last. 

Jeff

That type of attitude is just setting yourself up for failure.  You're saying that if you have more quit days this year than last that would be good.  You are giving yourself permission to smoke as long as you do better than before. 

It seems like you stress out because the big picture of never smoking again feels too overwhelming.  I felt that anxiety too.  Eventually I realized that I had to focus on short-term goals and cast aside the goals that were too consuming.

Just get through each day for now and acknowledge that each day is a success.  You'll get there if you take little steps.

• Like 5