9 Days Quit!!!

Gus

Hi y’all! I’m new here! Tonight at 11:45 EST, I will have officially been a non-smoker for 9 days! I don’t remember a time when I thought that I could go 9 hours without a cigarette. HaHa So far, I’ve been able to push through the cravings. My biggest issue are the tears. I can start crying in an instant over nothing and everything. I will not say that I am mortally depressed because I am not. I am happier and more easy going than I have been in years! I just get teary eyed. Most of the time it’s over something I would say is stupid. I feel like a blithering idiot sometimes and I haven’t told anyone close to me that I’ve quit smoking(a big part of me wanted to know how long it would take for someone to notice and point it out), so I can’t talk to any of them about it. I get frustrated because it happens without warning and I have to walk away to hide my face or hang up the phone because my voice gets so shaky. I can’t make it stop. Any suggestions would be appreciated! I’m glad that I found this forum and hope to remain here a long while! 🤗

• Like 10

Hi Gus, welcome to our train and congratulations on nine days quit already, that's awesome! What you're experiencing is completely normal as our brains learn how to live without nicotine. Some, like me, get more irritated and pissy and others get teary and cry at the drop of a pin. Don't worry though it doesn't last too long.

You can try drinking lots of water or juice to help flush stuff out. Also sweets help a lot. I got hooked on soft peppermint puffs my whole first year!

Listen to your body, if its tired, sleep. Hungry, eat, etc. Its working hard right now to right all the damage done by smoking.

Glad you found us and look forward to coming along on your journey with you 😊

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hey Gus! Welcome to Quit Train! A place where all will welcome you as a fellow quitter and give you all the support you want. There's also a ton of information and videos here about quitting. This place can make a big difference to someone just starting out who's feeling a little lost.

First of all, quitting is an emotional experience, particularly in the early days so don't worry about that. It will settle soon enough. I too did not tell anyone in my family or my friends or coworkers I'd quit for some time. Don't know why. Probably so I wouldn't look like a fool if I caved in right away. I think that's pretty normal to have reservations about shouting out your intentions from the roof tops.

My recommendation to you is to have a look around this forum and use all the information to your advantage. Stay close to this place for support. Anyone can quit with a solid commitment and a little support along the way :) 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @jillar and @reciprocity! I’ve been reading some of the older chats and forums. It’s helpful to know of others trials and how they successfully or not so successfully work through them. I plan to get into the videos tomorrow. I appreciate the welcome I’ve received from y’all!

• Like 5

Glad you're already checking out all our various forums Gus. We also have a fun Social Section for those times that you want to take your mind off quitting but be close to your support so be sure to check those out as well 😊

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, jillar said:

Glad you're already checking out all our various forums Gus. We also have a fun Social Section for those times that you want to take your mind off quitting but be close to your support so be sure to check those out as well 😊

Yes! We can always use more guys in the Chicks or Sticks game :) I'm assuming you're not a chick named Gus? 😂🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Welcome Gus.  So glad you found us.  There is a lot of support and friendship here.  Yes I was a blubbering idiot in my early quit.  I think I grieved what I once thought was my best friend.  Your emotions can be all over the place during your journey but in the end, you will be one awesome quitter.  Stay close and reach out when you need us.

• Like 6

Welcome to the Train! You will find everything you need here to help you on your journey to being an ex-smoker. Talk to the people here!  Unless the people you said you couldn't talk to are ex-smokers, they really won't understand anyway.  It's not their fault, they just haven't been where your at.

What Mee said is right.  It is normal for us to feel sad because we think we have lost our best friend.  

Congratulations on the nine days quit! That's Great!

• Like 6

Welcome Gus, you are in the right place. I nearly deleted my profile the day after I joined (quite recently recently) . I felt so much shame and disappointment around my relapse but I have experienced complete love without any judgement. I'm glad I decided to stay. The active group of members are small but their hearts are in the right place,  and that's all you need. Keep strong. ODAAT xx

• Like 6

Hello and Welcome Gus....

Congratulations on your wonderful Quit ....

Good to hear you are having a good look around this place ...there is tons of stuff to get you going ...

We have other Newbies who would love to travel along with you ...

Keep close to the board ...

Don't forget our Daily NOPE ...a great way to start each day ...it's amazing how quick the days go by ..

What your feeling is totally normal ....your body has to get used to not be fed hundreds of poisons every day .

Be kind to your self ...what your achieving is quite Amazing .😁

• Like 5

Welcome Gus, 

Congratulations on your beautiful 9 day quit. You have come to the right place for support and knowledge to combat the nicotine monster. Grab a seat and check out the many articles and videos that will give you more insight into this wonderful journey you are now on. Plus, we are all here to help and support you as well.

• Like 6

Hello Gus, Welcome to the train, and Congratulations on your 9 day quit, that is so fabulous 🤗 it’s great to have you here, and you will get brilliant support here. 
have a look at Joel Spitzers Videos, they are a great source of information and encouragement in the early days. 
I too was very emotional when 8 first quit, it is very strange at first being without that crutch, that we used for so many years.

life will be even better soon I promise.

stay determined!

• Like 6

Welcome aboard, Gus, and congratulations on 9 days smoke free. 

You are going through the roughest days and what you are experiencing is normal for many quitters.  The important thing is that you remain resolute in your quit as things do get better with time.

Stick around.  There is plenty of knowledge and support you can get here to help you keep your quit for good.

• Like 6

Thanks so much, EVERYONE! A little bit of a rougher day today. I persevered though! I am determined! Just reading y’all’s comments are helping so much!!! Just thank you all! Oh and I am a girl GUS! My middle name is Augustus! As in Caesar! LOL I know, I know. But who knows what goes through parents minds when they name their children?!

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gus said:

! My middle name is Augustus! As in Caesar! LOL I know, I know. But who knows what goes through parents minds when they name their children?!

I love it Augustus, try having a twin brother and having your parents name you Jack and Jill because they were reading nursery rhymes to your older sister at the time!😜😋

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Gus said:

Thanks so much, EVERYONE! A little bit of a rougher day today. I persevered though! I am determined! Just reading y’all’s comments are helping so much!!! Just thank you all! Oh and I am a girl GUS! My middle name is Augustus! As in Caesar! LOL I know, I know. But who knows what goes through parents minds when they name their children?!

Oh Geez .... a girl Gus eh? Humm ............ OK, don't both with the chicks or sticks game then. It's no fun anyway 😏

By the way, good job fighting your way through another day. They tend to be long ones in the early stages of your quit. Hang in though; it does get better :) 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Welcome aboard Gus.  Good call on giving up the smokes.

On 3/26/2021 at 8:50 PM, Gus said:

My biggest issue are the tears. I can start crying in an instant over nothing and everything. 

Just go with it.

The process of quitting smoking rips us right out of our comfort zone and forces us to deal with some things we used to sweep under the rug.  Withdrawals, nagging thoughts, and inconvenient truths can strip you down to the bare bones.

The journey can be a little rocky in the beginning, but the destination is worth the trip.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, PeachFuzz said:

How does chicks or sticks work please? 

Game starts at zero. Chicks (girls) count down. Sticks (guys) count up. When the score gets to -20 Chicks win. When the score gets to +20 sticks win.

Bragging rights are the prize!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Congrats on the 9 day quit and welcome aboard! Read all you can here, and then read it again! Watch the Joel videos and then watch 'em again! Take things one day at a time and you will be successful....😷

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 3/28/2021 at 5:50 PM, reciprocity said:

Game starts at zero. Chicks (girls) count down. Sticks (guys) count up. When the score gets to -20 Chicks win. When the score gets to +20 sticks win.

Bragging rights are the prize!

OK,  I'll check it out 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2