I am about done!

JH63

What everybody else said... Lots of good advice. 

I have 2 analogies that resonate with me. 

When you smoke,  you become this person who is highly addicted to the nicotine and the other chemicals,  so day by day you change in to a monster, a werewolf. 

When you know that nicotine can be as addictive as heroin and cocaine (damn you cigarette manufacturers), you start to understand.

If you are a control freak like me, who chain smokes to get a constant hit of dopamine and smoking is EXPENSIVE,  you start getting angry. 😡 😡 Now you have to go through the whole process of "unmonstering" yourself. 

The other analogy: Sure you know the game of snakes and ladders,  you move block for block but you can only go up or down. Every time you go down a snake, you start "losing" and your opponent (nicotine)  gets ahead of you putting you even lower down on the board. No fun! 

There are natural ways to boost dopamine and in my humble opinion it is both vital and essential. Be good to yourself and take pleasure in the activities that bring you joy. And good rest at least 7 hours (solid)  a night.

For some of us one one is too many, and 1000 are never enough. You will need to be on guard till the day you die. Forgive yourself for all the stop starts, you are human,  and it's never easy. If you are finding it all too much go and speak with a professional who can assist you with meds, supplements,  or a "toolbox" to cope. And if you are feeling a little down that's totally understandable too. 

Wishing you the best of luck. 

p.s. a list below of natural dopamine boosters,  and don't forget ORGASM is a huge one too 👏👏👏

20210326_115949.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, JH63 said:

I am Back, and I am still not smoking! 

Good call Jeff.

15 hours ago, JH63 said:

If I don't succeed this time, I'm going to quit trying and accept this as my fate! 

fate: 1.) the development of events beyond a person's control, regarded as determined by a supernatural power.

We were not born smokers.  We became smokers.

Some of us chose to quit.  Others chose to continue feeding their addiction.

Quitting smoking or continuing to smoke are both a matter of choice.  Fate is not a factor, the power to choose is yours and yours alone.

• Like 8

@Boo You are correct!  I should not have used the word fate.  I used it as an excuse.  I don't buy into that way of thinking about most things, so I shouldn't have used it here either.

I'll try to think of a better word, or better way of saying it. Thanks!

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Boo said:

Good call Jeff.

fate: 1.) the development of events beyond a person's control, regarded as determined by a supernatural power.

We were not born smokers.  We became smokers.

Some of us chose to quit.  Others chose to continue feeding their addiction.

Quitting smoking or continuing to smoke are both a matter of choice.  Fate is not a factor, the power to choose is yours and yours alone.

SO TRUE,  no option on a love button,  so giving hearts ♥ ♥ 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, JH63 said:

@Boo You are correct!  I should not have used the word fate.  I used it as an excuse.  I don't buy into that way of thinking about most things, so I shouldn't have used it here either.

I'll try to think of a better word, or better way of saying it. Thanks!

I'm not one to nitpick over semantics.  However, I will always remind our newer quitters that the choice is theirs; always has been, always will be.

Cigarettes have as much or as little power as we give them.

You've made a wise choice Jeff, keep marching forward.  

• Like 7

Awesome Job JH on keeping your quit. Looks like you have a good plan in place, and you came here to your support forum so right on and way to go! While quitting may be all-consuming right now, it will let up -- promise! If you have anything you can do to keep your thoughts off quitting, like learning a language or an instrument, or something else that truly consumes you, you should be able to feel some relief from that quit-smoking tension.  I am 14 months in and hardly ever get an urge. Yesterday I had a 1 second blip, and it surprised me. Gone almost as soon as it came. Promise...it will ease up. You just have to hang in there longer than the addiction and all its tricks. Some sort of all-mind-consuming-activity should help. Great job keeping that quit! Woohoo!

• Like 3