Question ?

Opah

Do you think there are less smokers and there for less smokers quitting ?

or do you think there are just less people trying to quit?

or it is all my imagination and its all the same smokers verses none smokers (quitters)?

It seems to me that there seems to be less emphasis on smoking, remember the snaking smoke creeping in on the Baby in the crib and the one sneaking into the vents of the apartments.  just don't see that many any more.  maybe it just doesn't bug me ass much now that I am quit ?  I have to admit I don't see nearly as many people smoking anymore, a lot more young one vaping fruit loops or some other flavor/smell.

What do you think ?

I think its all the laws and regulations opah. California has probably the strictest anti smoking laws in the whole nation so its no wonder you don't see it much here. 

• Like 1

I think there are less people smoking. The damage smoking has caused over the years has created a social sigma around it. Most people just don't want to be around smokers at all. When I was young almost everyone smoked. A lot of people started smoking just to fit in. Not realizing what they where getting into.

Today I can honestly say, I see a few people smoking when I'm out, but I don't personally know anyone who smokes anymore.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Opah said:

Do you think there are less smokers and there for less smokers quitting ?

or do you think there are just less people trying to quit?

or it is all my imagination and its all the same smokers verses none smokers (quitters)?

Here in America, there are more ex-smokers than there are current smokers.

With so many having already quit and fewer young people starting in the first place, smoking is slowly but surely becoming a thing of the past.

Cigarettes are going the way of the dodo bird and 8-track tapes; good riddance.

• Like 3

There are less smokers in the United States now, and probably a lot of other modern nations as well.  I saw somewhere years ago where the percentage of the US population that smoked has been on the decline for several decades.  I think it is attributed to education about smoking's harmful effects and smoking just having a big social stigma now.

Unfortunately, vaping has become quite popular and for weird reasons people consider it less harmful (I disagree with that).  I think vaping has replaced smoking among younger people in more modernized nations.

Also, smoking is still very popular in poorer nations.  Places like Indonesia, parts of Africa, etc. are still heavily marketed to by big tobacco as these nations  are some of their biggest customers.

Go to youtube and do a search for "smoking indonesia" and you'll see it is a problem with really young kids. 

Big tobacco will target any demographic they can.

• Like 3

Sarge is a child born of the late 1960s.  Grew up in the 1970s and early 80's. 

Back in those days it hovered around 40% of the adult population here in These United States. 
Just about half of folks smoked. 

Currently, the CDC lists cigarette usage at about 13% of the US Population. 

It's down. 
Considerably. 
A. Lot. 

These are legit stats published by the CDC. If you google, you will find them
(Sarge is too damned lazy to do it for you)

EZPZ

• Like 2

A big decline in smokers ,

I think this is due to a number of things ....plain packaging ,out of sight ...

It's expensive.....Carnt smoke in pubs and restaurants....so that myth about it being a social thing has gone ..

Plus smokers have learnt the dangers ....

Education.....

• Like 2

I spent some time Pondering this 

and what I came up was this:

Most of the Die hard Ill smoke until they pull the cigarette from my cold dead fingers are dead.

The others like my self have run their bodies into the ground and are now paying for it and for the youngers its just a stinky nasty thing that dirty old people did and are out vaping Fruit loops.

Now if I were to Think more o it 

All the BS laws and the stigma applied to smoking in California have succeeded in pressuring and deterring people from smoking or into quitting smoking as a  way to blend in.

So all this leaves me to believe that in the very near future California will be the first state to illegalize smoking and become the first none smoking state of the union.

now thats all I can stands cause I can't stands no more 

• Like 1