Two weeks down, cold turkey and the rollercoaster that is quitting.

Hey all 

I've been looking for a supportive forum while I am quitting. I had my last cigarette at 9pm on Valentine's Day. I'm 43, and have smoked regularly since I was in my early 20's. With two long breaks during pregnancy. I've tried to quit maybe 8/9 times. Tried nrt, and vaping. Neither of these have worked for me in the past - my best way is plaster off after cutting down and just getting the nicotine out of my system altogether. The main side effects I have struggled with have been my emotions, although I can have odd "highs" too which I imagine must be all the receptors trying to figure out what's happening. Also my digestion is buggered, I've never burped so much in my life and constantly feel "gurgly" inside, like a shaken up can of coke. (Or other off brand cola 😂) Tired too - but determined. It's time. So yeah - hi, what a thing we put ourselves through eh! 

• Like 6

You made a great decision to quit and to join this forum.  You've made it past the worst days of quitting.  Your body will need time to adjust itself to not being given a steady diet of toxins.  The good news is that our bodies are remarkable in their ability to heal from the abuse.  There is plenty to read on this site to help you and plenty of people willing to help you along.

• Like 5

Welcome to Quit Train CarpLibrum! We all here have gone through or are currently going through the same issues you are going through right now and we can relate to the challenges and changing emotional landscape you're currently going through. There's no question is a tough go this quitting thing but it is totally doable if you make an unwavering commitment and follow that 1 day at a time. As Paul said, there's much great information here to read through and a lot of very supporting people - other quitters who actually get it!

Let's find your freedom together!

• Like 5

Welcome aboard carpelibrium and congrats on two weeks quit! The mood swings are normal and so is the burping. Be glad you didn't get gassy like a lot of us did early on lol. You can try eating sweets to try to balance the swings and be sure to drink lots of water to help the body cleanse itself of all the gunk from smoking.

You'll find as much support here as you need or want as well as a trove of information about our addiction so be sure to check out all our various forums. We also have a great social section for when you want to stay close but need a break from the constant thoughts of smoking 😊

• Like 4

Hi all 

Haha - yeah I may have failed to mention its pretty noisy both ends 🙈 getting slowly better though. I've had some odd fluttering sensations that seem to be gas bubbles too it's very easy to start thinking you're dying though, which is ridiculous given that when I was smoking I didn't think that every day I just carried on. I'm on the herbal teas and have knocked any booze on the head while I find my feet with not lighting up. The two go hand in hand and it's not worth the regret! 

• Like 6

Welcome aboard CarpeLibrum.  Good call on giving up the smokes.

You are in a transition phase right now...there will be some ups and downs along the way, but the ride is worth it.

Buckle up, knuckle down, and drive on.

• Like 5

Hi and welcome Aboard @CarpeLibrum....

Congratulations on your wonderful quit ...

Yep....it all sounds normal , what your going through ...

Spend time reading all you can ..there is such alot of useful information to help you along...

Also watch Joel's video,s....they will cover most things ...

Stay close ...get to know us crazy lot ....

We all want you to succeed...😀

• Like 4

Welcome to the train Carpelibrum, and Big Congrats on being 2 weeks smoke free. I hope you pop in often, as it really helps in the early days of your quit to be here, reading and getting involved . Reward yourself even if it’s something small, it helps so much with motivation.

you are worth it 😊

• Like 3

Hi @CarpeLibrum, welcome to QuitTrain!  Sounds like you're off to a great start with two weeks under your belt.  Congratulations for that!  Hope your physicial effects sort themselves out soon.  Quitting smoking sure can be a roller coaster ride but it is so, so worth it.  Best wishes to you for a successful quit!  😊

• Like 4

Absolutely, I really enjoyed treating myself to things I couldn’t really afford when I was spending £60-£70 a week on smoking !  Or save up and after a month treat yourself to something bigger . I found the first months small items bought regularly kept me motivated, and I looked forward to my treats. A nice bottle of perfume costing less than what  I would have spent on smoking in a week! Amazing how much money we threw at damaging ourselves.

• Like 6

If you want even more incentive carpe consider adding a ticker to your signature. You'll get to see how much time, cigarettes not smoked and money saved add up. I used to LOVE watching mine add up AND it will show you how much you'll lose should you cave to a crave. Here's the link: https://www.quittrain.com/tickers/ 

The British pound symbol isn't working right now so you'll need to use one of the other two if you're overseas 😊

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, catlover said:

Absolutely, I really enjoyed treating myself to things I couldn’t really afford when I was spending £60-£70 a week on smoking !  Or save up and after a month treat yourself to something bigger . I found the first months small items bought regularly kept me motivated, and I looked forward to my treats. A nice bottle of perfume costing less than what  I would have spent on smoking in a week! Amazing how much money we threw at damaging ourselves.

Insane - that's addiction though is what I have to remind myself when I look back like "what on earth was I thinking?!" 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, CarpeLibrum said:

Insane - that's addiction though is what I have to remind myself when I look back like "what on earth was I thinking?!" 

I couldn’t afford to buy a £60 bottle of perfume every week, so god knows how I found my smoking money, but found it I did, even if it meant not eating....crazy!  Definately addiction. The Cigarette called the shots!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, catlover said:

I couldn’t afford to buy a £60 bottle of perfume every week, so god knows how I found my smoking money, but found it I did, even if it meant not eating....crazy!  Definately addiction. The Cigarette called the shots!

This is the thing! How did we manage it?! It's a lot like waking up, quitting. There's a certain numbness that comes with being a smoker. That's partly what I have found hard is my emotions, even the taste of food as lovely as it is, it's all so vivid now. It's beautiful but it's a lot to handle at first. 

• Like 3

Welcome aboard for this journey CarpeLibrum.  As you have been told above this is the right place to come to, it looks like you have a good start at this point.  Many have already given good tips here, I would add to just come here often -- if you need help, advice, questions answered, or just to have a good time, it all can be found here.  Lots of good people here to be here for you.  It can be tough at times but it is so worth it.  Again welcome and keep strong!!!!

Edited by Martian5
  • Like 5

Welcome CarpeLibrum, you sure have found the right place for friendship and support in quitting.  Hang around, get to know us all and keep that wonderful quit going.  

1111888.png

• Like 5