The Question Game

Colleen

• 2 weeks later...

The Kid... So I could see what she goes through when she tries to read and write so I could understand her struggles and be best able to help her when u was back to me.

If you could only listen to one musical artist for the rest if your life who would it be?

• Like 2

Tough one ... they'd need to have a significant catalogue that covered a variety of moods.

I'd lose out on a lot that I like hearing, but will go Pet Shop Boys.

If you could only watch one TV series for the rest of your life, which would it be?

• Like 1

Tough one, it would need to be someone I'd find it possible to engage with.

A few spring to mind, maybe Terry Waite, maybe Jeremy Bowen, but probably Billy Connolly. I reckon he'd be fun to grab lunch with.

If you could return to any event in history and experience it as it happened, which would it be?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Setting aside Strayan, in order to limit the time I have to spend on Google and given I recognise a few words, then there are three.

French, I know a little. Spanish would be great to know. But the cream of the crop, just for the beautiful sounds, Italian.

Where is your ideal first coffee of the morning (could be a place you love to watch the sun come up, who your with or whether it's relaxed sat up in bed)?

• Haha 1

Needs to be early winter just before sunrise when there is a bit of light ccreeping into the day, on the balcony of my favourite cabin at the Blue Lake caravan park in Mt Gambier looking out over the golf course that has a layer of morning fog over the ground about a meter high an a mob of roos getting up for the day... there are brids in the tress singing in the sun and the smel of gums on the air, the air has a coolness to it as you breath in and you cup the coffee with your hands to keep warm slouched in the chair with your legs up on  the banister snuggled in ya rug and sip as you watch the sun rise.

If you could attend any sport event live anywhere in the world where would it be?

• Thanks 1

^^^ That sounds idyllic

I'm going to go aside from the obvious this time (you know the boxing day test) and there's so many I'd like to see.

It's got to be the 100m Olympic final

If you could attend a concert of any performer alive or dead, who would it be?

^^good choice ...

Man this is so hard... I wanna say so many... I am ruling out all the ones I have seen.... I umed and ahhed about heaps but if I am completely, 100% honesty... The Ramones circa 76/77 when they were gritty, and raw, and so on it.... before they were too jaded, pretentious and drug fvcked.... but seriously HEY, HO, LETS GO!

If you could be anything you wanted (profession wise) what would it be?

Um... so I am applying a really big rule to myself here and not including those events I watched live on telly... and there are still way too many....it really is such a hard call... nope its not, lets be completely honesty... well ok its two... nah its not... its one... if I could attend any sport even live (not counting those I watched on telly live which was alot on my list) it would hands down be The 1966 AFL Grandfinal when my Saintas won their one and only AFL grandfinal and they did it by beating the universally hated Collingwood Magpies (think NYY or Man U) by a single point.... and I wasn't even a twinkle in me daddy's eye.... To be in that crowd of 102,000 footy fans, having my team in their only 3rd grandfinal since 1897....watching Breen dribble through the point that got us the flag.... that's my one moment... (honorable mention go's to The Hungary v Russia waterpolo game at the Melbourne Olympics in 1956... known as "Blood in the Water".... and Ali vs Smokin Joe Fraser March 8 1971 - the Fight of the Century.  

If you could play any sport (except those you have/do play) what would it have been / be?

Edited by notsmokinjo
  • Like 1

Oh hell, so many.

It would need to be a team sport we don't really play here. Short list in order of increasing interest would be kabaddi, lacrosse, gaelic football, aussie rules and baseball.

But the winner is handball. It seems to be played a lot more on various parts of the continent, but has never been a thing here.

What skill would you most like to learn if you had all the time in the world?

hmmm .... While I flirted with saying tattooing... I really think I need to settle on either guitar or piano... I can play a basic one handed piano tune but they really aren't portable so I'll settle on guitat... but I don't  just want to play I want to be able to play the shit out of it.... I want to make that wood sing.... and I'll need 3 lifetimes to achieve that because for some stupid reason I can't play guitar, I can play a bit better left handed than right handed but it just doesn't sink in... i play a slew of wind instruments so why not the guitar.... ?

Would you rather cook for the fams or cook for ya mates?

• Like 1

^^^ love those choices, art in general would be cool, but to play guitar really well would be joyful. 

Proper cooking for family. Less pressure if you balls up. 

Everyone coming round and you want to lay on a feast. What do you prepare? 

OK so we all get that I'm scatty and focusless and there ain't evah gunna me any cohesion to a menu I prepare.... cos, well a) I can't make decisions to save myself, B) I like to make sure I cover everyone's favourites, 3) I will always, always over cator... so... here is what I am assuming I would make ....  why are they coming over??? is it for dinner, for a birthday, is it to watch the footy... how many, .... ok, deep breath, i need more direction... ok... the first time I had the ex's family to dinner (dad, step mum, nana, bro, sis-in-law, cousin and 3 kids) it was summer and I prepared:

Dips: French Onion, Spinach & water chestnut in a cob loaf & Chicken Liver and Brandy pate.

For the kiddies: Kanga Bangas (kangaroo sausages), home made sausage rolls and then they had free reign of the adult selection also.

For the Grown Ups: Marinate Chicken Skewers (the special Stumpy-Mick Marinate that my dad and his mate come up with one drunken night), crispy skin salmon fillets and garlic grilled prawns.

Salads: Potato Salad (to quote my friends Hubby... she is only allowed to be my friend if I keep him supplied in tayta salad), Maroccan Spiced CousCous salad with pieces of cray (lobster ... thanks to my Little bro for my ready supply of free seafood), Coleslaw (which for me includes pineapple pieces, grated raw beetroot and cashew nuts) and a chickpea and corriander salad.

Dessert: was a choice of mango and melon salad with ginger, lime & basil syrup,  trifle or stripy jellys which while for the kids I was glad I made enough for everyone.

(Despite demolishing most everything in site... I was just a snobby show off with my fancy lah-de-dah food and too stuck up)

Usually, in winter if I have someone over for dinner I do 1 of each from the following list:

Entree:  Soup, Vegan Cauliflower or Pumpkin  or Not-vegan Cauliflower*

Bread for soup: Home made soda bread or cheese herb and garlic loaf or just a nice crusty french loaf

Main: Scrumpy Jack Stew with Dumplings* or Fettucine carbonara ala extra jo shit or Borek (1 beef & 1 spinach and fetta) with mediteranian style roasted vegies (just think garlic, lemon and rosemary) and beans

Dessert: Golden Syrup Dumplings or Hasty Bake* or Bread and Butter pudding with white chocolate chips and fresh raspberries.

* = the option on a work night.

Would you prefer the summer menu or the winter menu?

Edited by notsmokinjo
had to pause mid post to do the mum thing.

1 hour ago, Sslip said:

Proper cooking for family. Less pressure if you balls up.

Way more pressure not to fvck shit up with my family... would way rather have the friends over... I have a lot of bloke friends and they are just happy to have a decent feed half the time.

If I come round in autumn can I get both?

Winter menu, 'cos those desserts sound magic.

I get the over catering thing as well - it's my mum's fault. Teas for cricket today would probably feed 4 sides rather than 2 :)

If you had to put together your favourite ever meal what would it be (3 courses minimum)?

• Haha 1

See I'm Gunna Have to do this with two answers... so for menu A) a magic fairy came and waved her magic wand I could suddenly cook my favourite dishes that others in my life have done for me that I have tried to master but they just never taste the same.... and for menu B) these are my tried and true recipes that I do and actually like...

A) - Shout Out To My Main Men (Dad & Grandad)

(OK so its sounds dodgy and I have tried to do this myself and it never tastes as nice as the plate dad does)

(Dad) Pre-dinner nibbles: Smoked Oysters on savoys (grandad), chunky slices of tasty cheddar cheese, tomato and some cracked pepper on savoys (dad), and Basil, Parmesan and cashew nut dip... pretty basic on the nibbles... but can I tell you at 3am in the morning when ya sitting up watching wimbeldon, or the french open or the olympics its frickin awesome.

(grandad) Soup: (OK so have actually mastered this) Pumpkin soup

(Dad) Entree: Honey Walnut Prawns with corriander steamed rice.

(Dad) Main: Seafood Mornay with scallops, king prawns, cray, bugs (belmain bugs are amazing) ... served with a tossed salad and thick chunks of bread to mop up all the sauce.

(Grandad) Dessert: Cold Lemon Tapioca Pudding (or as he used to tell us... frogs egg jelly) with home made lemon sorbet... this is my favourite desert on the face of the earth (so sorry dad, your chocolate mousse and your lemon meringue pies get the kybosh)

(Grandad) After Dinner there would be sweet or creamy sherry for all... and then Irish Coffee's for the grown ups, and ginger hot chocolates for the kids... and after dinner mints, chocie royals and timtams.

B) - Me Things... things that I make, that are suitable to feed to others and are my favourites to either prepare or eat.

Pre-dinner nibbles: Hot bacon and onion dip baked in the cob loaf... with crunchy chunks of bread to dip.

Soup: Vegan Cauliflower soup

Entree: Coucous salad with cray and prawns.

Main: Roast Pork with crackling (I am the crackling queen, me dad even makes me go over and do his pork roasts because they suck at the crackle) then the roast vegies would be spuds (taters), pumpkin, carrots, parsnip, Jersusalem Artichokes, and I'd do some corn on the cob and some peas. With gravy from scratch.

Dessert: Warm quince with home made halva icecream.

Post Dinner snacks: Port, tea coffee and a fresh fruit, nut and cheese platter.

Bonus: The Ex Said what are you doing, I said working out menues for an imaginary dinner and he said .....

Pre-dinner nibbles: Asian stile pork pies

Soups: Pumpkin Soup

Entree: Mango Chicken with that green salad thing you do

Main: That fat pasta you do, the one with the bacon and the mushrooms and stuff (Fettucine carbonara a la extra jo shit)

Dessert: Home made ice-cream layer cake.

After Dinner: Super Hot Chocolate Moccas with home made choclate cashew chip biscuits.

What is your menu (at least 4 courses) that you would most like to share with others.

Edited by notsmokinjo