Bump in the road

Linda

Linda you DO NOT want to go through this first horrible month again right?! That should be incentive enough. 

Go online and pick yourself out something special for your one monthaversary. We had one member who bought a charm each month for her bracelet. That'll keep your mind busy 😊

• Like 5

Sorry for being late here Linda ...

Time Zones get in the way ....

How are you doing now .....Coming here and getting it out means you really want to keep hold 

Of your precious quit ....your winning your battles ....

We fight this addiction Day by Day ...Minute by Minute ....Keep Fighting !!!

• Like 4

I am feeling better today. The emotions are still seemed to be high. It usually take slot to upset me and I don't usually cry unless I'm really angry.Not sure why, I'm usually pretty tough skined  been through to much crap and had to be to survive. But thanks for asking Jillar.Have had some family hardships and loss of a close friend, but I am normally the jump in and take control person.

• Like 3

Oh Linda, I'm sorry to hear about your hardships. Don't worry about being the strong one right now. Emotions go wacky when we first quit so crying is normal for lots of us. You'll come out of this stronger than you've ever been and with a whole new sense of self worth 🤗

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Linda said:

Wow I just posted my almost 30 days,and here I am  having a difficult day and night  need some help over the bump

I hear you, Linda.  I just came on to ask the long-timers how they handled the depression.  Maybe I’ve been depressed my whole life and didn’t know it because the smoking/nicotine masked it.

I’m so tired of feeling sorry for myself.  2020 was a horrible year of loss for everybody, I realize that.  But, besides losing my freedom due to Covid, I also lost a couple good friends and a VERY close family member.  My only sister moved out of state and neither one of us travel, so I know I’ll never see her again.  Then, on December 31st,  I found out I have coronary artery disease and they dumped a bunch of medication on me.  I hate taking as much as an aspirin; always have.  Then, to top it all off, my 3 doctors tell me; a 76 year-old woman who has smoked since she was 13 years young that I have to stop smoking!  No warning.  No preparation. Wrong mindset. Just do it!

No wonder I’m depressed.  All I can do is sleep.  I don’t want to eat because that just triggers the cigarette crave.  When you’ve smoked for 62 years, everything triggers the cigarette crave.  It’s all I know.  It’s who I am/was.

I can’t promise anybody, not even myself, that I’m going to make it.  God knows I’m trying.  But I’m supposed to be quitting for my health.  Well, let me just say...I don’t find depression very healthy.  😢

• Like 2

@Judi, I don't think you'll find too many people right now, both nonsmokers and smokers, who don't have some form of depression from this pandemic. Factor in the emotion explosion of quitting and it can be hard at times. Most of us are either extra irritable or cry  more than normal when we first quit.

My last couple of years also have been brutal. My car was totaled, my bunny died and my mother died and I needed to execute her trust. Then two months after she died I had respiratory failure and am now on oxygen still because I haven't been able to get any pulmonary rehab because of this pandemic.  😠 

So I get it but I guess it was around April or May last year when I just woke up one morning and just decided I didn't want to be in a bad mood anymore. I was sick of it. If this pandemic was going to get me I wasn't going to spend my last year that way. 

And the funniest part is that it works! Shit is going to happen and it sucks but maybe we should live like the song says

• Like 3

I have lost a lot of people this year and I am bipolar so sometimes I get real depressed. I recently started tutoring again,  so that will help me get out of my head. It's a volunteer program through the Burbank Central library and we have to do it on Zoom for right now. I have been sleeping a lot and take walks sometimes. I am glad you are still here, Linda. Hang in there. We are all in this together. 

Edited by Steven Drojensky
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, jillar said:

@Judi, I don't think you'll find too many people right now, both nonsmokers and smokers, who don't have some form of depression from this pandemic. Factor in the emotion explosion of quitting and it can be hard at times. Most of us are either extra irritable or cry  more than normal when we first quit.

My last couple of years also have been brutal. My car was totaled, my bunny died and my mother died and I needed to execute her trust. Then two months after she died I had respiratory failure and am now on oxygen still because I haven't been able to get any pulmonary rehab because of this pandemic.  😠 

So I get it but I guess it was around April or May last year when I just woke up one morning and just decided I didn't want to be in a bad mood anymore. I was sick of it. If this pandemic was going to get me I wasn't going to spend my last year that way. 

And the funniest part is that it works! Shit is going to happen and it sucks but maybe we should live like the song says

Oh Jillar when I lost my husband to cancer that song had just come out and he was a non smoker. And he did  live his last 11 months like that. Wow that brings back memories.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Judi said:

I hear you, Linda.  I just came on to ask the long-timers how they handled the depression.  Maybe I’ve been depressed my whole life and didn’t know it because the smoking/nicotine masked it.

I’m so tired of feeling sorry for myself.  2020 was a horrible year of loss for everybody, I realize that.  But, besides losing my freedom due to Covid, I also lost a couple good friends and a VERY close family member.  My only sister moved out of state and neither one of us travel, so I know I’ll never see her again.  Then, on December 31st,  I found out I have coronary artery disease and they dumped a bunch of medication on me.  I hate taking as much as an aspirin; always have.  Then, to top it all off, my 3 doctors tell me; a 76 year-old woman who has smoked since she was 13 years young that I have to stop smoking!  No warning.  No preparation. Wrong mindset. Just do it!

No wonder I’m depressed.  All I can do is sleep.  I don’t want to eat because that just triggers the cigarette crave.  When you’ve smoked for 62 years, everything triggers the cigarette crave.  It’s all I know.  It’s who I am/was.

I can’t promise anybody, not even myself, that I’m going to make it.  God knows I’m trying.  But I’m supposed to be quitting for my health.  Well, let me just say...I don’t find depression very healthy.  😢

Judi it is really difficult with the pandemic, I feel your pain the struggle is real. Get on here and post your feelings. There are a great bunch of people that are willing to listen and help with your journey. You are doing great 30 days is wonderful

• Like 4

@Judi I know where your coming from when you say your depressed. I am 64 and have smoked for 50 years. I have had problems with depression throughout my adult life. My doctor tells me that quitting smoking will help my depression and help with some other medical problems I'm having.  I agree with him on the other medical problems, but the depression I don't know about. I have never been more depressed than I am at times when I've stopped smoking. There are days when I feel like I fell in a dark hole somewhere. I picked up the term Brain Fog somewhere along the way and that describes it. It's like I'm walking around in a fog. Nothing can get in or out of my head.

The good news for me is that I'm not like that everyday. I have good days also, about half and half.

More good news for both of us is that this is supposed to let up at some point. From things I've read and videos I've watched this depression is normal early in most people's quits. We just lost our best friend! This best friend wants to come back and finish us off!

Hang in there with me and lets see what happens! I can tell you are a strong person and you can do this!

Jeff

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, jillar said:

Love this song Jillar

• Like 2