Here I go Again!

Dogbelly

Hi, at 12:30 PM today I have gone 24 hours without smoking. It's actually been not that bad. This isn't my first attempt, and I have had success before. My problem is after I have not smoked for long periods of time, I think I can indulge myself and have just one. Then it is all downhill from there. So this time, note to self, I can never, never just have one. 

I need to stop completely. I am pretty active and never really felt the bad effects of smoking. Lately, if in high altitudes I have noticed a little difference in my breathing. did not keep me from what I was doing, but it was noticeable. I just need to stop. Also, very few people I know smoke anymore. Friends, family, people at work, no one. The addiction is really just a pain in the ass anymore, and needs to end. 

When I have quit before and had success, I used Chantix and doing that again. I have no no side effects and it seems to take the edge off for me. Again, this time I need to remember my note to myself.......I just can not have one. 

• Like 6

Welcome to the Train Dogbelly, you have come to the right place for support.  You are right in saying, you can’t keep on rewarding your long absences by smoking, you have seen where it leads to!  I too lost a long quit by believing that I could easily stop again, as I did before, but it can take years before you try again, so best to stay quit, and improve your health and wealth.

I hope you stick around, this place is brilliant for support and coming to rant when you feel you might cave in to the smokes. There is always someone to talk to here, great advice and plenty to read.

be kind to yourself in the early days, lots of rewards to motivate you along. Save your money and promise yourself a treat after a week, or a bigger one in a month. Personally I found small rewards each week kept me more motivated. 
stay strong and motivated , you got to want this more than smoking.

• Like 6

Welcome dogbelly and congratulations on deciding to quit once and for all. Lots of us found out the hard way they we can't have just one and once we realize we can't we get our forever quit 😊

Glad you're having an easy time of it so far, Chantix works well for helping take the edge off and I loved the dreams lol. Just don't make my mistake and stop taking it before the recommended time, the three months prescription is really needed to get a firm hold on your quit 😊

• Like 5

Hi, oh thanks for the tip. I did not know that a three month prescription is best. I hope I get some good dreams! Been pretty good so far, but I know I will have my moments where it wont be so easy. One of the best things I have going is I am almost never around smokers. Also keeping busy at work. I am knee deep in a Excell spreadsheet (which is so much fun, it was always a great excuse to smoke instead), but I took a walk around the buildings instead of smoking. Anyway, onward and upward. 

• Like 7

Welcome aboard dogbelly,

I applaud you on your decision to be a non smoker. Make sure you educate yourself with all the available articles and videos. Knowledge is power when it comes to this nasty addiction. Stay close and feel free to interact with all the many forums. Whether you need help through the SOS forum or games to keep you occupied. We are with you on this journey for support and friendship. Don't hesitate to lean on us if things get a little crazy. Stay safe and hold on to that precious quit.

• Like 6

Welcome aboard the Train Dogbelly.

Most of us had to back up and take another run at quitting before we really stuck the landing.

4 hours ago, Dogbelly said:

The addiction is really just a pain in the ass anymore, and needs to end. 

That was my primary reason for quitting.  I still had blinders on concerning the health risks, but I was tired of living from one fix to the next.

It's good to be free.

Edited by Boo
  • Like 7

Hi and welcome aboard ....

As addicts there is no such thing as !! Just One  !!!!.....

It's a addiction..one always leads to more ....

My junkie brain took on board  a slogan here....Take Smoking Off The Table...No matter what ...

This helped me alot ...

You can do it ....

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Dogbelly said:

The addiction is really just a pain in the ass anymore, and needs to end. 

Exactly!  Don't let it control you anymore.  So glad you have decided to quit and joined the forum.  We have all been where you are at and understand the addiction.  Stay close and let us help cheer you along. 

I am chuckling at your name and wondering if you have one of those dogs that immediately rolls over and expects a tummy rub!   

Edited by Mee
  • Like 6

Thanks to all for the encouragement! I actually am using this board already as when i would normally sneak out to smoke here at work I have just came here and read the comments. The funny thing about smoking where I work, one has to walk off the campus. I can get up and go when I want, and there is a really nice park, so taking a short little walk works instead of smoking. 

Mee - I did have a really nice dog for a number of years, and has now passed. He did like his belly rubbed. Ok, cheers everyone. j

• Like 8

Welcome and congrats on your decision to quit! I'm only 13 days in but doing really well thanks to the folks here.  I was a 40 year smoker and now,  I'm just a non smoker.  :)

Doreen's advice to take smoking off the table is right on! It really does work.  I'm a cold Turkey quitter with a smoking hubby at home.  When and if you want it bad enough,  you can do anything!

• Like 6

Welcome, Dogbelly! Congrats on deciding to quit for good once and for all.  It sounds like you are active and healthy, and your body will thank you for taking this step! There are people who can smoke occasionally-I know some. Most of us can't do that because we've been fully-addicted smokers for so long. Since you're the only smoker left in your immediate surroundings, it shouldn't be too hard.  Just remember - any reward will do as long as its not a cigarette. And watch out for the post-smoking blues which might come around month 4. I made it through...you can too! Great job!

• Like 6

On 1/13/2021 at 9:48 AM, Dogbelly said:

I have had success before. <snip>

When I have quit before and had success ... 

Sarge cautions you to amend your thinking: 
You have not had success before. 
You have not quit before. 

Had you, we would not be having this conversation. 

Other than that: go on with your efforts. Have success this time. Actually QUIT this time. 

EZPZ. 

• Like 1