Smoking in Movies....STILL

Kate18

I'm watching The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. She's smoking, and I'm hit with nostalgia. Why do they have her smoking? Why, with all the knowledge of how vile smoking is to the human body, do actors still smoke in movies? 

Any ideas? 

Surely the American public is not as convinced that smoking is "cool" anymore. I thought about the scene I just watched where she is smoking while she heats up a cup of noodles in the microwave. If she were not smoking, the scene would lack a certain recklessness or rebellion that it has with the smoking. Is that it?

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Kate18 said:

I'm watching The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. She's smoking, and I'm hit with nostalgia. Why do they have her smoking? Why, with all the knowledge of how vile smoking is to the human body, do actors still smoke in movies? 

Any ideas? 

I suspect it's a bit of product placement by the tobacco companies to cling on to some semblance of relevance in American culture.  The messaging is increasingly falling on deaf ears as more people view smoking realistically.  Unfortunately, the merchants of death are going to continue trying to sell their poison via any medium available.

Here is an overview of a report on smoking in movies that the CDC did in 2019...

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/youth_data/movies/index.htm#:~:text=6 of every 10 PG,2019 [n%3D34].

• Like 3

G’day 

I can see myself doing the kissing bits as an actor.... full frontal nude...maybe. But turn the lights down and airbrush.

Smoking.... No bloody way.

Not one Puff Ever..... even for my acting career.

Gunna have to stick to the full action hero I’m afraid.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I seen that movie, if I were her, I'd be smoking to! Movies are supposed to come across as realistic, she was raped... She more then likely had that habit before and continued with it, due to stress. Most smokers are Stress Smokers, no one really smokes to be cute, or do they? 

• Like 3

Argh! They're doing it again, only this time while eating greasy, delicious, unhealthy french fries. Watching "The Intouchables" on Netflix.

Sigh.

Still romancing the cigarette. Not about to smoke one. Just haven't purged my emotional memory of camaraderie and relaxation that I had associated with it.

Relaxation. Yes, if I continued to smoke, I'd have a lot of relaxation in the grave, which I would meet a lot sooner than I hopefully will as a nonsmoker.

It's worth it, folks. Don't smoke. Instead of a stop at a convenience store, get fast food, if that's what it takes to satisfy some craving for comfort. Just don't put a nicotine delivery system in your mouth. That's what the corrupt, dissolute, cold-hearted tobacco moguls call cigarettes. "Delivery systems." 

How do they sleep at night, knowing their sole business mission is to addict as many people as possible, all across the world, to nicotine? 

At least I'm no longer funding their private mansions, swimming pools, yachts, vacations. I have moments of anger when I think of their callousness.  In Asia, they target children. What kind of human being does that?

No smoking. I'm on my way to the lido deck in less than a month.

• Like 3

You know @Kate18, we smoked for so many years that it would be impossible to go through all those different triggers in just one year. I remember when I was eleven months quit thinking how nice a cigarette would be to celebrate my first year quit! And I still get that occasional urge to have one almost five years later.

The beauty of it now though is I realize that its just a thought, I don't really want one, and will pass as quickly as it came 😊

• Like 4

13 hours ago, jillar said:

I remember when I was eleven months quit thinking how nice a cigarette would be to celebrate my first year quit! And I still get that occasional urge to have one almost five years later.

So funny! :0

I've had a lurking fear that I'd succumb to some crazy self-sabotaging urge to smoke in my last month--it's a backlash thought to being near to success at something. I've experienced it in the past in other areas of my life. Just as I've neared being successful, hitting a new level, I've withdrawn into my shell in fear.

"Urge" isn't really the word here. I'm through with smoking in the shared reality. At 70 years old, I'm too close to the end of my vibrant years and don't want to squander a day. Also, I love to invest in speculative stocks, small companies. (My favorites are Bigg Digital and Planet 13). A pack of cigarettes would buy shares of stock.

Not a chance I'll self sabotage with this one. Really looking forward with glee to my year anniversary.

• Like 2