Just joined! On day 3.

ItsDeb

Hi everyone!

I'm looking forward to a very successful NOPE commitment.  I'm currently on day 3 after 40+years of smoking.  I have COPD, asthma,  bronchitis and am just done taking meds so I can breathe enough to smoke. How ridiculous is that? But I've been doing it for years.  Hubby still smokes but not in the house.  Today is the hardest day so far.  The coughing is annoying as hell and starting to give me a headache.  I can and will do this.  One day at a time.  Congrats to all the success stories on here! 

• Like 12

Welcome aboard our train full of quitters deb, and congrats on day 3. The nicotine is just about out of your system now so it goes to figure it wants more. Just hang in there though because it will get much better before you know it.

I also have asthma and COPD and quit after 35 years and I tell you that I credit all the support I received from fellow quitters as the reason I'm quit four years later 😊

Stick close, check out all our various forums and reach out if you need some support or just want to vent. We have members from all over the world so there's usually someone here around the clock 😊

• Like 5

We also have tickers for our signatures that will show you the time, money saved and cigarettes NOT smoked since you quit. I loved logging on each morning and watching mine grow. And once you start showing those numbers to your hubby he may just quit too 😊

• Like 4

Welcome, Deb!! I also quit after smoking for 40 years, and if I can do it, you can, too!  Quitting is uncomfortable, even miserable sometimes, but it will not kill you.  Cry, scream, rant, rave, take multiple showers a day (you can't smoke in the shower!) walk, run, dance, sing, just do anything but smoke!!  And the good news is...when you get through all those withdrawal symptoms...you will find a whole new world!  Be patient and kind to yourself...you can do this!

• Like 8

Welcome Deb,

You have just made two of the best decisions of your life. First you became a non smoker and kicked that nasty habit to the curb. Secondly, you got on the quit train. This is where you want to be for knowledge and support. So, grab a seat and enjoy the ride to a happier and healthier version of yourself.

• Like 7

Welcome Deb.  You are doing a great thing in quitting smoking.  It is truly a life changing journey.

Stick close to this site, read up on nicotine addiction, and reach out for help here if needed.  

It is good to have you here.

• Like 7

Hello and Welcome...

I was a 52 year Smoker....Quitting is so doable ....

Get yourself familiar with the board ....

Read and Watch everything .... Knowledge will be your weapon ....

Fight the Monster ....

We can get you to Freedom ....you just need the desire to get there ....😁🐸

• Like 7

Welcome aboard the Quit Train Deb.  Grab a seat and stay awhile.

19 hours ago, ItsDeb said:

I can and will do this. 

Don't ever forget that.  You control your own destiny.

Congratulations on making a great decision for yourself.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Welcome Deb.  I was a 42 year smoking addict and only found success quitting after finding this forum.   Here, you will find plenty of information, support, humor and friendship.  At day 3, you almost have the nicotine out of your system and will find you just have to power through the craves.  You can do this!     

• Like 5

HI! Just Deb,

Welcome to the train. You will find a lot of help here! I can relate to the health problems you're talking about. We can do this with a total commitment not to smoke!

Jeff

• Like 5

Hi Jeff, 

Yes we can!! 

I'm currently ending day 4, but have been suffering from a horrible headache all day long.  Hopefully that will not continue tomorrow. 

How's your quit going?

• Like 2

I am hanging in there!  I don't feel very good at times.  I slept a lot today!  I'm happy to talk to someone else who is also this early in their quit.

Sorry to hear about the headaches! Part of my quit plan is to cut my caffeine intake in half.  I learned that from one of Joel's videos. He explains that caffeine reacts differently in our bodies during the early part of our quit. I don't know if you drink caffeine regularly, but if you do you might want to reduce that drink and replace it with something that has no caffeine.  He explains that we can return to normal levels after we have been quit for awhile.

I'm saying this because early in one of my past quits I had headaches at times and noticed I was drinking more caffeine than usual.  It did stop the headaches and also reduced my level of nervousness.

Just a thought!

Take Care of that Great Quit you've got going!

Jeff

• Like 5

Interesting.  I have always only had 1 cup of coffee a day,  very rarely 2, but I have drank quite a lot of diet Pepsi. I'll try cutting that down

Today,  day 5, is a teeny tiny bit better than yesterday. 

I still am wheezing and coughing a lot. Thinking that may be part of the headache problem too.

Funniest thing I'm just realizing is that my "addict brain" keeps trying to convince me if I smoke I'll stop coughing.  Ha!! Nothing could be further from the truth.  Might go to a walk in medical clinic tomorrow to see if some antibiotics might help.  

Stay with us Jeff!!  

• Like 5

Yes, the headache could be caused by the coughing for sure.  I think going to the dr is always a good idea after quitting if for nothing else then to get all the kudos for quitting :) I didn't have a cough when I quit. I coughed plenty when I smoked but I did have a lot of throat clearing. As long as what's coming up isn't yellow, green or brown it's more than likely just your lungs doing their job of ridding all that gunk. But again, never hurts to get checked out. You guys are all doing great and almost done with hell week, yay :) 

• Like 4

It's clear so nothing too bad I'm sure.  I've had coughing issues for years,  COPD, but now it's definitely a little worse,  cough not as productive either.  I'll keep you posted after I go. 

• Like 3

I hope you get some help with your coughing issues when you go to the clinic. If it doesn't feel right to you, you should get it checked out.  Especially with everything that is going around right now.

Day 5 is behind me also. It was a little better day for me too. I pray that tomorrow is as good.

I'm spending a lot of time using distractions to get past the urges and cravings. An air cigarette made out of a straw, hard candy, etc.. Sometimes all I need to do is just change what I'm doing, or where I'm at in the house for a little while. For as severe as they can be at times, they really don't last that long.

Take Care!

Jeff

• Like 4