Just a dream

Kate18

It was a summer afternoon. I strolled over to bleachers that were set up on the sand of the seaside. A man sat in about row three toward one side. I climbed up to an upper row and sat down. He sat below me, on my left, peacefully smoking a cigarette and gazing out over the water. After a few moments, I realized I was smoking a cigarette, or at least I assumed I was, because I was holding one that was smoked half way down.

I was confused. How could I smoke when I was so close to the lido deck and one year quit? The thought crossed my mind that maybe I'd just forget that I'd ever smoked it, but I knew I had to just start from day 1 again. 

It was very real, down to the green grass, blue sky and water, and weathered tan color of the wooden bleachers. Fortunately, it was only real to my dreaming self. It was a relief to wake up, realize I was still quit, and less than two months from the lido deck.

I think it was a warning from my subconscious. I've seen some films lately where people were smoking, and I felt wistful about past smoking breaks.

• Like 5

Smoking dreams can be scary and I had quite a few long after my quit.

It is good that you saw this as a warning though.  Things do get better with time, as I'm sure you have seen, but as nicotine addicts, we must always remain vigilant.

Congrats on doing so well with your quit.  As Jill said, I'm looking forward to your first year quit mark too..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1/2/2021 at 8:54 PM, Mac#23 said:

I'm glad that you still have that wonderful quit going. Keep it up Kate. I'm one month behind you and I am looking forward to hanging out on the Lido deck with you.

Excellent! I'll look forward to it too!

:) 

• Like 1

Well at least you had a little taste of disappointment in your dream...enough to let you know how you would feel if you relapsed and keep you from relapsing. I had a similar dream where I didn't realize I'd relapsed until I was 3 cigs into it. Dreams are good outlets and reminders. Keep the quit, Kate!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1