12/27 is my ***official*** quit date

I wanted to wait a couple days after Christmas to be "official"so I did. In two hours ... I got Joel Spitzer's Day 1 playlist saved and I'm ready. I'm officially committed. I'm doing FlyLady CHAOS and Body Clutter at the same time so their positive changes can intermingle and hopefully have positive change babies. 

At the same time, I am anxious/nervous and almost feel like I am grieving. I can't explain it. It's really weird. It's just a cigarette but it feels emotional. 

• Like 5

Feeling emotional is pretty normal fluffyduck. I likened quitting smoking to losing a friend I had known for 35 years. I felt sad, mad and eventually glad to find that that was no friend of mine!

Glad you picked your day and stick close, post as much as needed and take advantage of the clues people give you to make quitting easier and maybe even have some fun along the way 🤗

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The minute you put that last cigerette out ..your a fabulous Non Smoker ....

Rejoice ....It's all Positive ...you've taken your life back ...

Turn all negative thoughts into positive ones ...

Your about to begin the most rewarding journey of your life ...

Take your seat ...Buckle up....

Wev,e got you .!!!😁👍

• Like 5

Thank you everyone!

I am doing okay. I'm not really craving on my own, and I was actually okay except until two seconds ago part where someone woke up and started harrassing me first thing in the morning about every single detail in life with a bunch of gaslighting comments and me saying "Can you just give me some space for today and back off a little bit, because it's my first day quitting" and getting the response back "Sorry that's not my thing I don't have anything to do with that, that's your thing"" after that huge overly dramatic "Oh. Ok. Can you go (do some chore)" after I said it was my quit date to them - not that I expect anything but at the same time, alright then.

I'm still okay and not tempted to smoke but I feel like certain behaviors are intentional to drive me insane enough so that I will smoke. So on my own I am calm, but when they start talking I feel lie one of those cartoon characters from the old cartoons with the fuse coming out of their head when they start twitching and turning red before they explode. 

But on my own I'm fine. I got glow in the dark puffy paint and I'm making glowing jar stuff with the kids today. Cute, ineffective solar lamps.

Edited by Fluffyyellowduck

12 hours ago, Fluffyyellowduck said:

At the same time, I am anxious/nervous and almost feel like I am grieving. I can't explain it. It's really weird. It's just a cigarette but it feels emotional. 

Just roll with it.  We developed a physical addiction to nicotine and spent years conditioning ourselves to believe that the cigarette held the answer.  It takes a little time to unwrap all that.

There will be contradictory thoughts (I don't want to be a smoker, but I sure could go for a cigarette right now).  Memories of smoking tend to get whitewashed once we quit; we paint some rosy picture of smokebreaks while conveniently forgetting those times standing in a cold rain to get our fix.  That sense of grieving a loss, most of us experienced that to some degree.

These are all normal parts of the process.  You're in a transitional phase right now, things feel a bit wonky.

The thing about transitions is they are temporary.  What feels weird today will become your new normal in time.

Remember the one incontrovertible rule for a successful quit: DON'T SMOKE!  As for the other stuff, buckle up and try to enjoy the ride.

• Like 5

That beginning time when you try to quit is really mental .

But life is always a bit mental with or without cigarettes .

Try to stay fresh somehow . It can be really fresh sometimes and really dull some other times .

I used to smoke to kill the dull times .

I  managed to stop smoking during all the dull times and somehow escaped this whole smoking habit .

Try to stay fresh .

Good luck .

• Like 4

What you are experiencing is normal.  Fight through it.

There really is nothing relaxing, enjoyable, or otherwise positive about smoking.  It is only about feeding an addiction and all those supposed positive things you attribute to smoking are lies we conditioned ourselves to believe over time.  Breaking free from the addiction is freedom.

Keep up the great work.  Life as a nonsmoker gets better and better with time and any early struggles are worth fighting through.

• Like 4

Thank you! If I can stay at the position I am right now I think I will be okay. I don't feel super anxious for some reason. Not like yesterday. 

There was a situation today where I could smell the smoke really strongly through the door and I wasn't tempted to go after it. (Surprisingly) Instead I just sort of acknowledged how bad it smelled and now I can't wait to have all of that gross smell off of me. So gross. Embarrassing to think that you could smell like that.

I think the most significant withdrawal symptom I'm having so far is a severe craving for cheetos. I could eat like six bags right now. Time for me to make waffles instead though. Close enough.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you crave Cheetos I say have Cheetos! It's all about you right now. You might even incorporate the kiddos into your quit by letting them know that you quit and may be a little emotional for a while until you get used to being quit. They will be your cheer team when you can't be here for us to cheer you on.

I really think you are going to be amazed at the young confident woman who emerges from quitting.... 🤗

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jillar said:

If you crave Cheetos I say have Cheetos! It's all about you right now. You might even incorporate the kiddos into your quit by letting them know that you quit and may be a little emotional for a while until you get used to being quit. They will be your cheer team when you can't be here for us to cheer you on.

I really think you are going to be amazed at the young confident woman who emerges from quitting.... 🤗

:D I let them know and I also texted my family (long distance and spread out all over the country) know, too. I am letting my almost 12-year-old watch some of the videos about what smoking does to the lungs and letting him see some of the pictures, too. Never too early to teach them.

• Like 3

Just checking in to say that I made it through day one and it is complete for me because I have to go to bed. 
I don't remember much of what happened except that it was relatively easy. The worst cravings came on between 1-2 PM but were defeated by taking a nap.

Afterwards, I did some stuff with the kids, made dinner, and then for some reason I ate four plates of beans, rice, and corn tortillas. (I'm only 4'11 so this is actually very impressive.  I will gold star myself...⭐ I earned this. ) Usually after a meal is one of my triggers,  but this time I was just hungrier. I want to gain so it was a win. Then I played the harp a little and fell asleep and had another nap. 

If tomorrow is as easy as today, or easier, I'll be fine. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Fluffyyellowduck said:

If tomorrow is as easy as today, or easier, I'll be fine. 

Hey Fluffyduck, let me tell you that you'll be fine either way, with cravings or without. You will survive the tougher moments as well. You will learn new ways of dealing with anxiety, because of quitting. The rough moments are part of the package, part of life. You'll be fine, as long as you stick to your commitment of not smoking.

Emotions come and go, all the more reason to make your resolve as strong as possible. When the going gets tough, this is what will help you through. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations FYD on setting and sticking to your quit date and making it through the first day! They say the 1st three days are the hardest, but it depends on the person, I think. Day 6 was a zinger for me, but I made it through. Every day gets a little easier, especially knowing you made it through the previous day.

You can totally do this! Enjoy the Joel Spitzer videos and the documentaries.  Chat as much as you like here.  Play some games to busy the mind. Don't let the non-quitters derail your plan to stay smoke free and reclaim two of your greatest health assets - your heart and lungs.  Enjoy getting free!

• Like 4

Just updating that I made it through Day 2. I only plan on updating up to Day 3, I promise. It makes me feel better.

Not really feeling much in the way of withdrawals.  Also feel much, much cleaner. Ate entire bowl of Lucky Charms after dinner, proudly, and determined that the marshmallows in the name brand are much more vibrant than the marshmallows in the off brands.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, jillar said:

You're doing great fluffyduck and you update us as often as you want. We love going on your journey with you 🤗

^^ what Jill says, plus updating can be a great way to keep yourself accountable and commited. 💫

• Like 4