Quitting smoking

SweetPea28-x

Hey everyone, I am new to the forum and would like some support as I would like to give up smoking, long story short I managed to quit the cigs when I was 23 and I packed them in for a year or so (so I know I can do it ) but when I was 25 I lost my son who was only 6 days old so as you can imagine I started smoking again, I was chain smoking for a good 2 years and a half after that happened, I am now 28 and I still haven’t been able to quit due to stress which is funny because I have researched quitting smoking and I know my mental health will be 10 times better  as a result of quitting, I really really want to quit but I find it so hard does anyone have any advice or support ? I’m looking to quit so I can get my body to the best health it can be for when the time is right to get pregnant again but I know I have to do this first before I even even consider it..just wondering has anybody read Allan Carr’s quitting smoking book last time I quit I read that book and I managed to quit for 3 weeks but relapsed again that was this year in March .. smoking has been my crutch since i lost my son and I just really want to quit why is it so hard 😔

• Sad 4

Hello Sweetpea ...

I so sorry for the loss of your little one ... I carnt imagine your pain ....

You are stronger than you think ...you want to put the cigs down ,and get your body in the best health as you can ...

And you can ....coming here is the first step ...you are amongst friends ...

I did read Allen Carr...I found it most helpful.....reading that and quitting here along with folks who are travelling the same journey ...worked for me ...

Knowledge will be your tool ....it will give you the strength to fight this monster ...

Stop right now ...just lash them ...why poison yourself any longer ....flush them away and come here ..

Read all the info ..watch all the video,s ....

You can do it Sweetheart.....there is a train full of quitters ...who will support you to Freedom ...❤

• Like 4

Welcome aboard sweetpea, I'm really sorry about your son. I can't imagine the pain of losing a child. We have a lot of members here who have read Allen Carr to help them see that smoking did absolutely nothing for them.

I found being a part of a forum full of quitters in all phases of quitting is what I needed to succeed. 

Do you have a quit date?

• Like 4

Welcome to the Quit Train SweetPea.

8 hours ago, SweetPea28-x said:

I am now 28 and I still haven’t been able to quit due to stress which is funny because I have researched quitting smoking and I know my mental health will be 10 times better  as a result of quitting, I really really want to quit but I find it so hard does anyone have any advice or support ? 

You're off to a good start.  Unpacking the lies we accepted as truths as addicts is a big part of the process.  Figuring out that our crutch is actually a club we beat ourselves up with.  Figuring out that the only problem solved by cigarettes is the problem created by cigarettes.  Breaking down the myths surrounding cigarettes makes it much easier to put the cigarettes down forever.

The loss of a child is the most devastating thing anyone could ever have to deal with.  I think everyone here used cigarettes as a coping mechanism for varying levels of grief at some point in their life.  We all found out eventually that cigarettes are not the answer; they never were.

Quitting smoking is a challenge, but a challenge that will reward you many times over.

• Like 5

Oh sweetpea, I am so sorry for the loss of your child and understand the grief must have been awful.  You are young and have so much life ahead of you.  Overcoming your addiction is one of the best things you can do for yourself and any future pregnancies.  Unfortunately, you just need stop and power through the craves.  I smoked for 42 years and found this forum to work miracles for me.  There is wonderful friendship and support here.  We all would love to help you on this journey.  Stay close to the forum and educate yourself.  You can do this!

• Like 4

I am so sorry for the loss of your child -- I cannot imagine the stress and grief that must come along with this.  I am so glad that you have come to this site, it really can help you with the journey of quitting smoking.  There are many people here that can give you support as well as the information you can find on this site, also the Allen Carr book has a lot of very useful information.  You will be surprised at the support you will receive from the members on this board here -- they understand the challenges of quitting and will come to your side whenever you ask.  Jump on board you will never regret the decision to quit and take the journey!!!!!

• Like 4

Welcome sweetpea, I'm so sorry for your loss and my sincerest condolences. You have come to the best possible place for support in your quest to be a non smoker. The first thing you are going to need to do is commit to your quit. Then you need to firmly believe that you can quit and become healthier person. Have a little faith and good things can happen. So, grab a seat and enjoy the ride.

• Like 3