Instead of smoking I will... (Need help)

I keep around a lot of index cards because I have ADHD and I forget things. I'm very flippity and kind of all over the place, so I keep them in my pocket to help me get through the day and remember what I need to do. 

I'm using 1-2 of these index cards to write down a plan for when something comes up because things will always come up. I was wondering if you guys could help me come up with ideas that I might not have thought of. This is all I have so far. 

Instead of smoking I will ... 

Boredom

Python course
Crochet
Cleaning
Sudoku
Solitaire

Sadness

????????I have nothing?????????

Anger
Workout

Pray/Read Bible

Vent
Write

Oral Cravings

Carrots/Celery

Drink lemon water

Brush teeth
Cup of black tea

If I'm invited or offered...

Remember NOPE

Journal

Feeling Anxious 

Breathing exercises 
Stretches

After a Meal

Brush teeth

Reward After Hard Work 
....?

• Like 1

I like the plan.  Boredom was always a struggle for me and it looks like you have some good options there.  Keeping your mind off smoking by doing productive things is great.

As far as sadness goes, a cigarette will NOT bring you happiness.  It'll do the exact opposite.  Even if you can't find anything to do during sadness, just remember smoking will not make anything better.

BTW, you may want to check out Allen Carr's book "The Easyway to Quit Smoking."  You could probably get it at a library or get it online somewhere.  It is a fairly quick read ... some people didn't like it but it really helped me....and it kept my mind occupied early on.  The main thing I took away from that book was that there was nothing positive to gain from smoking.

Or just read and post on this site. 

Edited by johnny5
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Fluffyyellowduck said:

I keep around a lot of index cards because I have ADHD and I forget things. I'm very flippity and kind of all over the place, so I keep them in my pocket to help me get through the day and remember what I need to do. 

I'm using 1-2 of these index cards to write down a plan for when something comes up because things will always come up. I was wondering if you guys could help me come up with ideas that I might not have thought of. This is all I have so far. 

Instead of smoking I will ... 

Boredom

Python course
Crochet
Cleaning
Sudoku
Solitaire

Sadness

????????I have nothing?????????

Call someone who cheers you up and is always positive

Read some threads in our Social forums

Anger
Workout

Pray/Read Bible

Vent
Write

Come here and get it off your chest on our cuss thread in the Off the Record forum

Oral Cravings

Carrots/Celery

Drink lemon water

Brush teeth
Cup of black tea

Hard candy (soft peppermint puffs was my go to for my whole first year lol)

If I'm invited or offered...

Decline and tell them you quit and if they persist stay away from them until you're feeling more confident

Remember NOPE

Journal

Feeling Anxious 

Breathing exercises 
Stretches

After a Meal

Brush teeth

Reward After Hard Work 
....?

Buy yourself something you've been wanting

Relax in a nice bubble bath 

• Like 2

Thanks! I read EasyWay a few years ago and I don't know why but it didn't sink in for me. I did watch some videos of his, which were helpful, but I no longer use a smartphone so I don't have the app. 

I really like these suggestions. Thanks so much for the help. I am going to add ... well, all of them

• Like 2

Jill has covered most bases....

Learn a new Hobby...we have had folks in the past learn to knit ,learn to paint ...take up running ...

Excersise....Right about here I mention Qi Gong.....it's so relaxing ...and great to calm the soul ..

Go to ....You tube ....there is stuff for beginners ....

There is much to do ....we have a page full of games here ....

• Like 2