Question

Matthew0225

10 minutes ago, Doreensfree said:

Your either a smoker or your not ....so it  doesn't really matter ......

That wasn't my question.  Even smokefree.gov distinguishes between slip and relapse: "Slips are having a cigarette or two after you quit. A relapse means going back to smoking regularly."

Edited by Matthew0225

I know !!!!.....

But if you smoke just one ...your a relapser ....full stop.....

How bad your a relapser doesn't matter ...

So your a smoker ....if you didn't relapse....you would be a non smoker ...

I couldn't see what was making you curious .......you smoked .....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Doreensfree said:

I know !!!!.....

But if you smoke just one ...your a relapser ....full stop.....

How bad your a relapser doesn't matter ...

So your a smoker ....if you didn't relapse....you would be a non smoker ...

I couldn't see what was making you curious .......you smoked .....

No, I didn't.  What reason would I have to lie about it to strangers?

I don't want to argue.  It's a simple question.

Edited by Matthew0225

7 minutes ago, Matthew0225 said:

Even smokefree.gov distinguishes between slip and relapse: "Slips are having a cigarette or two after you quit. A relapse means going back to smoking regularly."

It also says and I quote "It’s important to restart quitting right away—today or tomorrow at the latest. Don’t give up on your goal of no cigarettes at all."

So isn't that a little contradictory? I mean if its a slip you wouldn't need to restart right? 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jillar said:

It also says and I quote "It’s important to restart quitting right away—today or tomorrow at the latest. Don’t give up on your goal of no cigarettes at all."

So isn't that a little contradictory? I mean if its a slip you wouldn't need to restart right? 

I did.  It was one during a night of drinking a ways back and then never again.

• Like 1

You can't quit if you aren't 100% BRUTALLY honest with yourself. 
(1) There is no "slip". A slip is accidental. When you smoke, you JUMPED right in knowing full well what you were doing and the consequences. 
(2) Doreen is absolutely correct. You are either quit, or you are not. 

If you can not accept these facts ... you WILL NOT be successful. 

EZPZ 

• Like 4

It is all about science.

Once you are a nicotine addict, you will never be able to control your smoking.

The Law of Addiction says: "Administration of a drug to an addict will cause re-establishment of chemical dependence upon the addictive substance."

This applies to nicotine. This science will show you why you cannot have just a puff or two.

Follow this link:

Nicotine Receptors In Your Brain

Cristóbal

• Like 2

The occasional one leads to another...maybe only one a month for several month. Then an event speeds up the interval. Then something else happens and you smoke again. Now you're at one a week. Boom b4 u know it full on smoking again. How many slips...depends on the person for sure.  But just one can get it done.

• Like 3

On 11/23/2020 at 11:11 AM, Matthew0225 said:

Just for the purpose of my own curiosity: generally speaking, how many cigarettes worth of slip did it take to get you fully relapsed to an active addiction (i.e. square 1)?

Thanks,

Matthew

One

• Like 2

After being quit for over 2 years, I had a "slip".  I think I smoked about 5 cigarettes on the slip day.  Then the next day, I bought a pack.  I smoked it over the course of several days.  Then I didn't smoke for a couple of weeks.  It was on my mind though and I ended up slowly going back to my pack a day routine.  It took me over a year and a half to quit again.  Slipping puts you on a very slippery slope.  Avoid it at all costs!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Years ago, I quit and hadn't had a single smoke for two years. One day, after a particularly stressful day at work, I bought a pack of smokes intending to smoke only one. I was back to a pack a day within a week and continued to smoke for another 12 years.

I'm coming up on 4 years quit and now know that it's all or nothing. I can't have "just one". To think I can is stupid.

This may not be the case with you, but as someone else posted, "Either you smoke, or you don't smoke". It's as simple as that.

• Like 3