Mac#23 & Jo's International Food Showdown

notsmokinjo

Just curious...do any of you fry okra?  For that matter, do any of you like fried okra?

I enjoy fried okra and contrary to popular opinion, I think it's delicious.

It has been my experience that most people have not tried fried okra.  Other folks make the same face you make when someone farts in an elevator at the mere mention of fried okra.

With the board being split on biscuits and gravy, I suspect I may be a minority of one on the okra question.

That's all from me.  Let the International Food Fight resume.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

11 hours ago, Doreensfree said:

Oh yes !!!......I buy these Mac.....now ya talking !!!...marmite is more tastier ...trust me !!!

LIES! LIES! LIES! Marmite is totally cacky...textures wrong, colour is wrong, flavour is wrong, nothing us better than vegemite. 😋

I'm with you @Doreensfree...wouldn't know a fried okra from a pickled one. Dunno I I can even source that here. It must be good if our Mr Health n Fittness like a it. SO @Boo ... einquiring minds wanna know, what do you eat it with?

Edited by notsmokinjo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Doreensfree said:

I learn something every day ....what do you have it with ????

You can eat it as a side dish with any meat.  Or, you can treat fried okra like an appetizer.  There is a restaurant here in town that serves it up with a tangy "Louisiana Style" dipping sauce.  That's some tasty eating.

53 minutes ago, notsmokinjo said:

I'm with you @Doreensfree...wouldn't know a fried okra from a pickled one. Dunno I I can even source that here. It must be good if our Mr Health n Fittness like a it. SO @Boo 

I never said it was healthy, just delicious.  A guilty pleasure if you will.

I quit smoking.  I quit drinking.  However, quitting fried foods is a battle that still rages.

• Haha 3

I googled vegemite and this is how they describe it:

Vegemite is salty, slightly bitter, malty, and rich in glutamates – giving it an umami flavour similar to beef bouillon.

I don't think that spreading something that tastes like beef bouillon on toast or anything else is something I would try. Sorry, Jo not going to happen.

Edited by Mac#23
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Try some melted cheese Mac ....Yum !!!!!!

11 hours ago, Mac#23 said:

I'm not a huge fan of okra, it's a little on the slimy side. Although I've only had it in gumbo but I don't think I want to try it any other way.

okra_resized_rect.jpg

Slimey !!!!......Oh !!!..... I'll give this a miss ...Thank you !!!...

• Like 1

On 11/25/2020 at 7:02 AM, Boo said:

Just curious...do any of you fry okra?  For that matter, do any of you like fried okra?

Ok...So I've bin investigatin.....an I can get these from the Indian grocer....so then I did some huntin....how exactly are they friend cos way to many variations?

A....

Or B....

okra-castiron-1-768x532.jpg

Southern-Fried-Okra_exps39758_SF143315B11_05_7bC_RMS-696x696.jpg

Why??....cos I reckon I'll have a go at it.

• Like 2

On 11/27/2020 at 8:17 PM, notsmokinjo said:

Ok...So I've bin investigatin.....an I can get these from the Indian grocer....so then I did some huntin....how exactly are they friend cos way to many variations?

A....

Or B....

okra-castiron-1-768x532.jpg

Southern-Fried-Okra_exps39758_SF143315B11_05_7bC_RMS-696x696.jpg

Why??....cos I reckon I'll have a go at it.

Yep.  Option B is going to be preferred by most.

However, Option A is damn good eating.  And a simple fix.  Get your skillet hot.  Place a bit of bacon grease in there and add some oil.  Throw your okra in there.  Add a bit of salt and pepper.  Wait until the okra starts to brown...and you're good to go.

• Like 2

On 11/20/2020 at 10:48 PM, notsmokinjo said:

Then we could have a point system.....look, smell, taste, would you eat again, ..... so maybe 3, 3, 3, & 1....so a p possible 10 points for each. 

So, I tried the poached egg on a crumpet today.

3 for look

3 for smell

2 for taste

1 I would eat again if I was in a restaurant that served it but would not go out of my way to purchase more crumpets

Total score a 9

IMG_20201207_125550.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I have to say just by the looks @Mac#23 that I wouldn't eat it. I like my eggs cooked over easy and my bread (whatever it should be) toasted. 

I think though if you had of added some black pepper it might of looked more appealing?

• Like 1

There was a window behind me so I think that might have made the picture a little brighter. I thought about adding the pepper to enhance the photo after I ate it. This picture looks a little closer to what I ate.

IMG_20201207_125550~2.jpg

• Confused 1

G’day 

Yep definitly needs the toasting would of tasted rare and pasty. The egg has to be soft so the yolk flows into the holes and soaks through the crumpet.

Toasted crumpet served hot so the butter melts into the holes with honey is another favourite. 

Jo would have hers with butter and vegemite for sure. I don’t like vegemite.... yes that’s right I’m an Aussie that doesn’t and that rarer than rocking horse poo!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

G’day 

Finally got to make this. The biscuits are easy.... just a simple scone really. 

Dont have buttermilk normally I’ve used a little Greek yoghurt in the milk, the slight acid sets off the baking powder. A lot of cooks swear by a splash of lemonade to make for a fluffy scone/biscuit.

The right sausage was the hard part, we don’t usually don’t have a sage based flavour so I used a simple pork sausage and added sage and nutmeg to get that, I hope, authentic flavour profile.

A simple roux with flour and the oils and fats from the Snags, some milk and stir and it’s done with a good sprinkle of cracked pepper. 

Ingenious really you could hide a stack of lumps in that gravy with the sausage lumps.

chris

047402B9-D95A-4659-AB0D-1CAB1E156476.png

Edited by Cbdave
  • Like 2