Mac#23 & Jo's International Food Showdown

notsmokinjo

22 hours ago, Doreensfree said:

Scusey.......Biscuits and gravy......you kiddin me ....

A hobnob with thick lumpy gravy......where,s the bucket !!!!😖😞

G’day 

Biscuits are basically scones. You’ll understand those.

The gravy is more like a white sauce don’t get confused with the gravy name.

The lump bits in the gravy is sausage. American sausage is mainly sage spiced where uk usually include Mace or nutmeg. Not always in sausage skin but often as a patty. Not that different though.

I recon you would eat it even with the diferent names.

And trust me if you eat porridge you’d eat grits.

• Like 4

It is so hard to do an iconic Aussie breaky without vegemite....but I'll give you a recipe for crumpets...then you can make the breakkie @Cbdave suggested:

https://www.recipetineats.com/crumpet-recipe/

When you get to the bit about how you to eat them, you still need to toast then as described, you then need to butter them and top with a soft poached egg, letting the yoke seep into the holes. Crack of pepper and salt then ya done.

If that's too tricky, toast some sour dough, smash some avocado on it and top with poached egg.

• Like 3

@Mac#23 crumpets and English muffins are you 100% not comparable. If you can buy crumpets I'm cool with that. There are a tonne of recipes online for crumpets that might suit you better. They be Aussie or Brit so the ingredients might be called something else. The recipe I put in is very similar to what I remember my great aunty pat making.

I'll be doing biscuits and gravy this weekend. So @Cbdave who is now the sausage guru, do you reckon I should use some sausage mince dressed up with sage?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jillar said:

@Mac#23, I thought they were our English muffins but Jo says no. So I'm counting on you to make the crumpet recipe and get back to us on whether crumpets are better then English muffins or not

They're different than English muffins.  They have an eggier taste and the texture is unlike anything else I've ever had.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, notsmokinjo said:

And they are delicious!  Savory or sweet. You can even have em with penisbutter. I'm usually have them with vegemite, it melts into the holes. Don't mind em with golden syrup either, or honey.

@Mona did you like them?

Yes Jo, I did like them.  I thought they were very unique.  These days, I eat low carb though so I stay away from anything made with flour.  Unfortunately, I have always needed to keep bready things to a minimum in my diet.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, notsmokinjo said:

@Mac#23 crumpets and English muffins are you 100% not comparable. If you can buy crumpets I'm cool with that. There are a tonne of recipes online for crumpets that might suit you better. They be Aussie or Brit so the ingredients might be called something else. The recipe I put in is very similar to what I remember my great aunty pat making.

I'll be doing biscuits and gravy this weekend. So @Cbdave who is now the sausage guru, do you reckon I should use some sausage mince dressed up with sage?  

33 minutes ago, notsmokinjo said:

G’day Jo

Why muck about? Just get a snag that you like and squeeze out the guts. Wet  your hands so that form the thinnest pattie. That way when you fry it off you get the max crisp surface before you crumple it.

PS

using the meat out of a good Italian type pork sausage is a great way to make meatballs to add to tomato and spaghetti.... quik easy midweek meal

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They're not Golden or Trip Top but yeah mate there the real deal. They will work. You still need to toast then before you eat them. I usually have to drop the toaster 2 times to toast them enough.

Then butter them while hot and pop ya s off poached bum nuts on top.

Surely, somewhere near you sells vegemite. Be brave, just don't spread it super thick, it's like chillies you have to build up your tolerance.

Try one with honey too....not with the egg, just butter/marg and honey.

• Like 3