Quit Substituting

activeonly

Hey all. So I’m on the fifth or sixth day of my quit, and a couple of days ago I bought beer, which I never do. It’s like I’m substituting the beer for the cigarettes. It’s not good, as I’ve been engaging in day drinking. Just curious whether people have experience with substitution. Kind of being an addict more generally and needing to fill the substance-void with anything available. I want to get past this but I know if I give up beer I’ll just crave marijuana or something. When and how does the cycle end?

• Like 1

Try push ups. Or something else healthy. If you HAVE to substitute then make it something not harmful. 

But really just try some NOPE out. Quiting goes fine all by itself. No substitutions needed.

When cycle end, you pick the time and date. Want it to be now? IT is now.  No more thinking about replacements, read some more on addiction and the cycle breaks.

Good work so far, dont waste the effort by making more work.

Go do some push ups if you want still.

ANd how do you not know if its the fifth or sixth day??????

• Like 5

I was hooked on soft peppermint puffs for my whole first year and oddly enough once the anniversary came I haven't bought any since! You're doing great, I agree with Bakon, there's plenty of healthy things to get "hooked" on instead of drinking beer. 

Congrats on almost  your first week smoke free :) 

• Like 5

Werthers hard candy.   Gives you something to suck on.

You don’t want to go from being a smoker to being an alcoholic right.   Besides if you get buzzed you’re more likely to start smoking again

Edited by Wayne045
  • Like 2

I sometimes drank to help me through nicotine withdrawals in the beginning.  Not good because you do risk relapsing. Food was also a substitute. Try exercise or anything healthy so you won't have another bad habit to kick or 25 pounds to lose.

• Like 2