Where Did You Go Today?

Reciprocity

Thought it might be interesting to some to share our travel experiences so that others get an idea of places they've never been to or in some cases never even heard of.

I'm in New Brunswick Canada at the moment dealing with some family issues. Today the wife & I decided to have a break and take a short trip up the coast to a place called St. Martins which is located on the Bay of Fundy coastline. Here's some information on St. Martins & why people visit this place.

https://stmartinscanada.com/local-attractions/tidal-harbour/

The Bay of Fundy is known for having the greatest tidal differential in the world ( and the coldest water 🥶). Difference between high & low tide averages around 28 feet, as opposed to the world average of 3 feet, and has been recorded as being up to 60 ft. in places under the right atmospheric conditions! In addition to all this, it's a picturesque little town spotted with old wooden covered bridges and it is home to a series of sea caves which are a Unesco World Heritage site. The caves are only accessible at low tide.

This is low tide in the harbour at St, Martins village.

1612911279_StMartins2.jpg.8e6bfaf8d1ddba707e71845f585b0d18.jpg

Low tide at St. Martins beach which is where the sea caves are located. The water line at low tide is several hundred feet down the beach. I marked the high tide water line with a red marker to show the difference between tides. As a scale reference, there's a 6 foot person standing at the water line upper left of this photo. You can barely make them out.

1150949810_StMartins4.jpg.ce5fdd47ffd3d6c1519f02231bae3dff.jpg

Unfortunately, the angle of the sun was such it did not allow for decent photos of the caves which are located on the left side of St. Martins beach.

As you can see, the beach is filled with rocks (not much sand). These rocks are both unique and recognizable from any other rock I have ever seen. Due to the massive tidal forces these rocks are exposed to twice daily, they are all rounded and worn smooth. In addition to this, many have a pock-mark appearance to them due to repeated battering against other rocks on the beach.

513298749_St.MartinsRock.jpg.e196adc9179b81750ad502ca62bd9a62.jpg

And of course, like any other tourist place, St. Martins has it's share of eateries from formal to road-side shacks. Most only open from May- early Oct. yearly because that's high season for tourism. The only place open on our visit in November was this ice cream parlor along the road leading into town. And NO, I didn't buy a Camo Hoodie 

836321440_StMartins3.jpg.54725a91241b6c17b7ce28339b7e9636.jpg

• Like 5

@reciprocity this is a great reci!  Since my husband retired, we wanted so much to start our travels but the pandemic put a halt to that.  I keep telling him that we should be planning a nice trip to help keep our spirits up.  Our next question is alway "which way do we go, George?"  Since Canada is big on my bucket list, we will check this area out!

• Like 4

@Mee I thought it might be nice to post up travels as we might take them. I find it interesting to see other places I don't know about and it can, as you said, give you some ideas on places you might like to go to.

Let me know if you do head for the East Coast of Canada sometime. I can give you some info. on New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island. Haven't travelled Nova Scotia or Newfoundland much but they've both got some great spots to see as well.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, reciprocity said:

Let me know if you do head for the East Coast of Canada sometime

I will definitely let you know.  I am sure it will be a while before the borders open.  In the meantime, I love the pictures and history. 

Oh, I just looked, you are above Maine.  We loved Arcadia National Park in Maine and planned to go back there.  We could add New Brunswick to the trip.   

Edited by Mee
  • Like 3

@Mee We use to travel to N.B. through the US. Love driving Route #2 from Burlington VT to New Hampshire then into Maine. Nice leisurely drive with lots of quaint small towns along the way. We stopped using that route when the Canadian dollar slide to 70 cents to the US dollar 😬

• Like 4

Reci....Canada is on my bucket list ...i love your pic,s....

I would like to share my favourite place ,I have seen ...it's a small Pacific Island called Vanuatu....One year when we visited Nicky ...we took a holiday there ...I would go back in a heartbeat ...

1532401322066.jpg

Explore_Vanuatu_People.jpg

• Like 4

Went to Dipper Harbour, New Brunswick today.

I have a cousin who lives there and haven't been down to see him in probably 15 years.

Drove to the warf where the boats had just come in from the 5th day of Lobster season :) 

220410181_DipperHarbour.jpg.2c6a20756101ebd0b1a4129007ba8b4f.jpg

We stopped by an old abandon wooden covered bridge which were a common thing in the early part of the 20th century.

2079090872_DipperHarbourCoveredBridge.thumb.jpg.9fb283c706e6362a0991b68c431cc471.jpg

1984288153_DipperHarbourCoveredBridge1.jpg.2773194ac720a8c2a9fdf8de7e217c1c.jpg

688729083_DipperHarbourRiver.jpg.289e16c1120432c36c2df1b4b52d23c7.jpg

Day is topped off with a super nice meal at Billy's Seafood Company in downtown Saint John, N.B.

late in the day. Cold beer, bacon wrapped scallops and Lobster Roll with Fries 😍

1748797409_DipperHarbourSnack.jpg.f15f1241961cf5ddbeef73f6b5d11406.jpg

• Like 3

Saint-Louis-De-Ha-Ha; Quebec & yes, that's snow on the ground with road plowed & lots of salt on the road. They sure know how to keep those roads clear in that part of the country and they need to cuz they get a ton of snow every year from Oct. - April.

Saint-Louis-De-Ha-Ha.jpg.824791816ffdf4365a92b3e63ac91fb6.jpg

• Like 1