Howdy! New direction

activeonly

Hey all! I’m deciding to quit smoking. My hairdresser saw my smokes and told me about her uncle who died of lung cancer  due to smoking and admonished me to quit. Really helped me realize that I’m going to die from this shit. Since then I’ve read up some more and it really does look like smoking is terrible for your long-term health. So I’m stopping before anything evil can happen to my body. 

I set my quit date for Thursday, but after coming on this forum I’m really inspired to stop today. 

Smoking has been a big part of my life since the start of the summer. I smoke a pack in two days, most of it being done on the first. I quit before but then I saw a friend who had converted to vaping like me smoking again and it triggered me. 

Smoking is most important for those moments spent relaxing outside. It’s an excuse to sit on my deck and chill, or to take a walk etc. I know that I start to miss those moments of peace, but it’s not like I can’t have them without cigarettes. I probably just have to stay away from my normal haunts for a few months until it doesn’t trigger nostalgia. 

But yeah, I pretty much wake up and the cigarettes get me out of bed. I smoke a lot when I’m bored, too. Hopefully I won’t be so bored as I *God-willing* start this new job. 

But hello! I’ll be here often. I really want to be done with this nasty habit and just live life. 

• Like 5

Welcome to the quit train activeonly! You'll find a lot of support and information here that will help you on your quit journey. Everyone here is a nicotine addict, like yourself. We know what it's like to quit so it's good that you plan to hang out often. You'll feel right at home in no time.

We love a quitter around here :) 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, reciprocity said:

Welcome to the quit train activeonly! You'll find a lot of support and information here that will help you on your quit journey. Everyone here is a nicotine addict, like yourself. We know what it's like to quit so it's good that you plan to hang out often. You'll feel right at home in no time.

We love a quitter around here :) 

Thanks for the welcome! I’m already learning so much and feeling so connected. I’m not excited for the journey ahead but I know it’s to save my life. Thanks again! 😊

• Like 4

We all were anxious about quitting before we started but once you commit to quit, that anxious feeling will disappear because you will be focused on the early days of your quit. We'll help you through and answer any questions you may have. There's also a wealth of information here so have a look around at the pinned posts top of a number of pages and there's a video library that addresses almost every aspect of quitting!

• Like 4

Welcome activeonly.  This is a wonderful place for guidance and support in quitting.  I am so glad you decided to just quit instead of waiting.  The first week is the toughest because you are getting the nicotine out of your system.  Once the nicotine is gone, you learn to rediret those thoughts of smoking.  Stay close to the forum, educate yourself and place some games.  You are strong and can do this!

• Like 4

Welcome aboard the Train Activeonly.  Good call on giving up the smokes.

29 minutes ago, activeonly said:

Smoking is most important for those moments spent relaxing outside. It’s an excuse to sit on my deck and chill, or to take a walk etc. I know that I start to miss those moments of peace, but it’s not like I can’t have them without cigarettes. I probably just have to stay away from my normal haunts for a few months until it doesn’t trigger nostalgia. 

I wondered to myself before I quit: will I ever be able to relax again?  The answer turned out to be an emphatic yes.  In fact, getting off of the nonstop rollercoaster of get a fix, withdrawal, get another fix, withdrawal...led to me feeling more relaxed.  

Commit to the process and you too will get there.  Quitting smoking is one of the best things you will ever do for yourself.

• Like 3

Welcome aboard activeonly and congratulations on deciding to take your life back. You'll find all the support you could want or need here so don't hesitate to reach out if you need it or have any questions. Chances are someone here can relate to just about anything you could ask 😊

• Like 3

Welcome activeonly,

You have just made the best decision of your life to be a non smoker. You have also arrived at the train station and about to board the best train there is. There are a bunch of articles and videos that will help you gain knowledge regarding this nasty addiction. There is a ton of people in various stages of their quit willing to support you all the way.  So, grab a seat and enjoy a happier and healthier version of yourself.

• Like 3

Welcome aboard this Magical Train ....

It takes you all the way to Freedom ...a place every smoker wants to be ...

Your right to be concerned for your health ..Smoking kills....

Dying with a smoke related illness is a horrible way to go ....

Our brains can be our worst enemies ...don't over think....

Take it one day at a time ....take our daily pledge ...get to know your way around here ..

Your amongst friends ...

Read and Learn ....

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Betterbreathing said:

Great to hear from you. I wish you the very best for your quit. It will work out but even if there are bumps in the road, you'll win this! I can't emphasise how much this site has helped me. Lets stick two fingers up to an industry that kills us for profits!

Get angry with the Tobacco Companies ....B.

Watch the 3 Documentaries here ....

They want us to stay hooked ....to line thier pockets with our hard earned money ...

They don't care millions have died in the process....

Getting angry was the best thing to help my quit along ....

My Condolences.....alot of us here have lost love ones due to Smoking ..

• Like 2

Hey activeonly and welcome to the forum! Congrats on your quit! How are you doing now?

The first week is the hardest. It's a bit of a shock to the system to quit, not only physically but mentally as well. You have your habits with cigarettes and it can feel daunting to think you would ever enjoy those things without smoking. I remember feeling anxious at the thought of waiting for the bus without smoking! Turns out it was totally, fine, I had just made those situations bigger in my head than they were and associated smoking with them more than I needed to. I remember that all of the situations I dreaded in advance were actually absolutely fine in reality without cigarettes. I had put smoking on some sort of a pedestal before. 

Hang in there and I promise it will get easier :)

• Like 5