Nicotine Journal

Jswiss

In a couple hours, i will be nicotine free for a whole week. First time in twelve years, and maybe second or third longest streak in like 20 years, pathetic that i waited this long, and i still have my doubts about myself. At some point, i have to finish my jedi training and face my smoker friends, it is my destiny. only then can my jedi training be taken to another level. may the force be with you, always!

• Like 6

Go in battle ready, young Jedi! Have confidence that you have made the right choice, quitting is the best choice, the strongest choice!! Have lines you can say when you are offered a drag..."No, I like quitting." "Nah, not today, my friend!" Give your nope quickly and confidently👍

Being around smokers is part of the full cycle of quitting, it's one way we learn to control and grow our own quits. Start notice their habits...how a smoker can't sit down and enjoy anything, how they smell...the small things that reaffirm your reasons for staying quit.

We are always behind you, Jswiss...SOS if you need to, come and chat if you need to, go in your car and bark like a dog if you need to 😂

Here quittiers always win!!!

• Like 5

Feel sorry for the poor smokers .....they carnt help themselves ....

Observe thier patterns ...always looking for thier next fix ,so they can settle for half a hour or so....

Be so thankful ,that's not you anymore ...don't envy the poor addicts....rejoice your free....

Like Jane has said ....we are always here ....to keep you grounded ....

Just call....and we will come running ..

• Like 6

Way to go jswiss.  Don't head into the battle already thinking you will fail.  Your crucible has landed here and we are going to help carry you across the finish line!  The galaxy of freedom does exist!

• Like 5

Congratulations on one week quit jswiss, that's awesome! Great advice above so I'm just going to add that if you're worried about that first time around smokers then take a nonsmoker friend with you the first time or two that you're around them. You'lI have support with you and after that initial first couple of times it should be much easier for you. At least it was for me 😊

• Like 4

Congratulations Jswiss on one week quit. You need to hit your cravings head on but make sure have some support for success. This will help you through the tough times. Everything is manageable but you truly need to believe in yourself and have faith.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Jswiss said:

At some point, i have to finish my jedi training and face my smoker friends, it is my destiny. only then can my jedi training be taken to another level. 

I worried about being around other smokers when I decided to quit.

Strange thing is: from the very start, other people smoking didn't affect me one way or the other.  I was indifferent to it it all.

Take it as it comes.

• Like 5

10 days nicotine free. My fiance told me we are going to a gathering with friends this weekend and next, and i'm guessing the weekend after that because it will be thanksgiving, and all our ex pat friends get together here in taiwan since we don't have family to celebrate the holiday with. So i can't hide forever. Gonna have to face my smoker friends sooner or later. Thinking to skip this weekend since i haven't given myself a full three weeks of quitting nicotine. I also don't know how i'll holdup with a few drinks in me.  decisions... 

• Like 1

That might be a good idea @Jswiss if you don't trust yourself to not cave. I stuck close to home for pretty much my whole first month and only ventured out when I had a never smoker with me. Others here just chose to face them head on as they came. Is your fiance a smoker? If not then lean on her to help you through these "firsts". And you also have us available to help talk you off the ledge. 😊

• Like 3

Hey Jswiss, I agree as well. I think that having a never or non smoker to lean on is solid advice. I would also suggest maybe not drinking because that may make you more likely to relapse. At least until you feel confident in your quit. 

• Like 3

Mirror both posts above ....

Your quit is the most precious thing your life right now ...because it is your life at stake...

You have to give yourself the best chance you can ...

Being around drinkers and smokers will be a huge test for any Newbie ....

I've seen no end of quits ruined this way ....

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jswiss said:

So i can't hide forever. Gonna have to face my smoker friends sooner or later. 

There is no reason to hide.

Other folks will make their decisions, you have no control over that.  You have made your decision, you have full control over that.

Be relentless with your commitment.  Do that and you can stay the course regardless of what happens in the periphery.

I also don't know how i'll holdup with a few drinks in me.  

Is having a few drinks now worth throwing away your quit?

decisions... 

Priorities.

• Like 5

Almost two weeks nicotine free. Survived my first social gathering with smokers. I was offered a smoke at least four times and also sat in a circle with smokers and chatted and felt relatively comfortable for the most part. I had a couple drinks too, they might've taken the edge off a little. I pretty much just kept reminding myself that the addiction is not satisfying, it's not relaxing, and i'm not missing out on anything.  So, passed my first real test as an ex-smoker. Not out of the woods yet, but feels good to be able to say "no" and feel comfortable about it.

• Like 6

That is awesome Jswiss.  It is a matter of retraining your brain and how you look at smoking.  Early in my quit, I was able to view smokers differently.  It did not bother me to be around them.  I amazingly had  so much empathy for them.  I would note how sad and loneyly they looked or how they were missing out on life.  The addiction really robs you of so much. 

Stay focussed on freedom and you will succeed. 

• Like 4

You are doing great, Jswiss!  Congrats on making it through the social event without lighting up.  I'd remain careful with alcohol early on in your quit but it is great that you stayed smoke free.  Realizing that you don't need a cigarette in social situations (or any other situations) is a great thing and will make your quit stronger.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jswiss said:

Almost two weeks nicotine free. Survived my first social gathering with smokers. I was offered a smoke at least four times and also sat in a circle with smokers and chatted and felt relatively comfortable for the most part. 

Jswiss

Glad to hear you're nearing two weeks smoke free and able to overcome strong associations with your smoking past.  I give you my 100% support and praise. 🏆

I don't want to 💩 on your parade but I have to raise a concern.  As a healthcare worker who got COVID back in early March, I loathe to see people ignoring basic, simple steps to reduce the spread of this killer virus.  I'm tired of seeing people die and suffer every day at work. I find it very troubling that you're in a social gathering as COVID is raging to all-time highs.  You mention that you're in a circle with smokers (needless to say they're maskless).  

As you take the amazing step of improving your health by quitting smoking, please consider the other major risk to your health (and others) and take the simple steps to slow the spread of this killer disease.

Once again, highest praise on your excellent quit.  Keep it going.

• Like 3

Our brains can be our worst enemies ...too much over thinking ,..once you make that decision never to smoke again ..it becomes easier ...

Congratulations on your two weeks ...Fabulous !!!

BKP....raised a very important matter just now ....please stay safe ...

• Like 1

thanks all. about covid though, i'm in taiwan, and it was taken very seriously here since day one (if you want to go shopping or go to work or school, temps checked at the door, masks on, and hands sprayed with sanitizer, no exceptions, along with government issued masks for every household, and free check ups at the nearest health center in every city. ) so it never became a crisis here. a case has never reached my city, so we can all have gatherings fortunately.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Jswiss said:

about covid though, i'm in taiwan

Sorry for the lecture Jswiss.  I hadn't even noticed you were from Taiwan.  I just assumed you were from most of the planet that's seeing a huge spike in COVID cases.  My bad.

Congrats again on 2 weeks.  Hang tough.  You can do this.

• Like 2

so, i smoked two cigarettes this past saturday night. i have to admit i was kind of longing for one for a few days. Need to remind myself what i'm longing for isn't really something i want, it's just a few moments of satisfying a nicotine craving and can't go back to that lifestyle again. there's nothing to gain.

• Sad 4