So hard but I will never give in

Betterbreathing

On 1/16/2021 at 1:10 PM, Judi said:

Thanks, Jillar.  Dang it’s so hard.  But when you just had a stent placed in a main artery of your heart because it was 99% clogged, and they tell you “You have a suspicious spot on your lung,”  it really gives you incentive.

Hang in there Judi, they found 3 nodules on my lung last ,been rechecked and its been a hear. But it is scary. That is right it is damm hard to quit by we can do this

• Like 4

The problem with quitting is that its a passive process.   The only thing we do, is, refrain.

Its not an activity so much as a decision.   

When we first start this journey of abstinence, our brain and body ask us to smoke, to receive, the nicotine we've come to expect.

So the decision not to smoke has to be made again and again.  Maybe a hundred or more times a day during the first weeks.

That's why it so important to stay engaged in activities, preferably social activities with non-smokers.  If your doing something that

occupies your attention, the frequency in which you have to reinforce your decision not to smoke, is also reduced.

Avoid boredom and idleness.  The moments you have to yourself are the moments you have to deal with yourself.

After a few days of successful abstinence we start to acquire the tools that reinforce our decision.   

We realize that it CAN be done.

That we ARE starting to feel a bit better.

That we don't want to throw away the progress we've made.

Stay clean long enough and we discover that abstinence and denial are not the punishment we have been enduring 

but the reward we sought. 

Stay strong.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Sirius said:

The problem with quitting is that its a passive process.   The only thing we do, is, refrain.

Its not an activity so much as a decision.   

When we first start this journey of abstinence, our brain and body ask us to smoke, to receive, the nicotine we've come to expect.

So the decision not to smoke has to be made again and again.  Maybe a hundred or more times a day during the first weeks.

That's why it so important to stay engaged in activities, preferably social activities with non-smokers.  If your doing something that

occupies your attention, the frequency in which you have to reinforce your decision not to smoke, is also reduced.

Avoid boredom and idleness.  The moments you have to yourself are the moments you have to deal with yourself.

After a few days of successful abstinence we start to acquire the tools that reinforce our decision.   

We realize that it CAN be done.

That we ARE starting to feel a bit better.

That we don't want to throw away the progress we've made.

Stay clean long enough and we discover that abstinence and denial are not the punishment we have been enduring 

but the reward we sought. 

Stay strong.

I'm trying but with the virus here, I am kinda isolated by myself and right now I don't like myself to much

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Linda said:

I'm trying but with the virus here, I am kinda isolated by myself and right now I don't like myself to much

Have you thought about fostering a pound pet so you won't be alone? They're a great comfort especially right now with the pandemic....🤔

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jillar said:

Have you thought about fostering a pound pet so you won't be alone? They're a great comfort especially right now with the pandemic....🤔

I have the cutest ,sweetest,boxer dog named Lily. She is probably the only thing that is keeping half sane lol. She is good company but she doesn't talk to much. Lol  thanks for all your help!!!

• Like 4

Llinda, I am a crafter.  Crafting has gotten me through many difficult times in my life.  There are so many groups on the computer and women anxious to teach you.  Like this forum, I have made friends all over the world.  Maybe you have some craft you would like to share with others.  Yes this pandemic sucks.  I am finding it very difficult, especially since the weather has gotten cold and we are spending more times indoors.  Keep telling yourself that this too shall pass.  

• Like 2

Being part of a forum ,is a great way to make friends ,join in ,have fun ...

There are folks who are never to far away .....

The Peeps here have got me through some tough days ....

This virus has given me time to find new things to do ....

Your body is going through some massive changes ....it won't be long before you love the new you .🐸

• Like 2