So hard but I will never give in

Betterbreathing

Yes! It will pass Betterbreathing! It's actually pretty common to have a rough patch right around the 3 month mark. It's kind of a weird time. The early days of quitting are behind you and all that excitement  from the early battles is over but you're not completely on solid ground yet with your quit and, you think you should be by now. Time to double down on your resolve to protect that quit you have nurtured for so long now. Remember the reasons you wanted to quit for. Focus on all the benefits you've seen since quitting. Spend time here around other quitters for support. You're entering stage two of your quit. You may need a hand up here and there. Plenty of peeps here to do that for you :) 

• Like 6

Hi Matt, yes it will pass I promise you that so hang tight and good on you for posting and getting it off your chest. What you're experiencing is what we call No Man's Land. A lot of us go through it and there's an excellent post here about it https://www.quittrain.com/topic/10000-no-mans-land/

Stick close and let's get you past this hurdle 😊

• Like 5

Thank you so much guys. I will never give in but it helps to know others understand! I want to be here for others too and despite being a grown man I am almost crying! Nicotine is a poison I am going to fight all the way. Lets make sure it never gets us again!

By the way this facility where people can come if they need sos is amazing. Lets do this together

• Like 7

Yes, we do have an amazing place here filled with members from all over the world and in all phases of their quit. And as we all know, no one knows better than former smokers just what we go through when quitting so for me the support was invaluable. 😊

Stick close, read or watch videos about our addiction or if you just want to give your mind a break from the constant thoughts of smoking, head over to our Social forum. Lots of different things to do there 😊

• Like 4

A lot of us have been at the same place you are at currently, Matt.  Believe us, it does get better.  Stay focused on not taking another puff. 

Nicotine addiction is both physical and mental.  The physical part ends fairly quickly (usually the first three days....they are tough but doable). 

The mental part can cause you to struggle longer, though.  I didn't see how long you had been a smoker but I assume it was for a number of years (like a lot of us).  It takes a while to get the mental part out of your head.  Smoking was a routine, a crutch, etc.  Over time, you grow more used to being smoke free, mentally, but smoking thoughts and craves sometimes pop out of nowhere during this "no man's land" time.

Keep going strong.  I know it is frustrating but it does get better.

It may not feel like it but at 95 days nicotine free is great.  Keep up the great work.

Edited by johnny5
  • Like 4

It can be a tough road at times for quite awhile in different ways as we struggle to adjust to our new lifestyle but your are well on your way to becoming comfortably free of your addiction. Carry on! It's manageable now but a bit of a slog at times. It will continue to get better just as it has these past 3 months. As long as you adhere to NOPE, it will always continue to get better!!

• Like 5

This too will pass.  Your addiction will always be there and moments of weakness do happen occassionally!  You have made it this far and are strong enough to keep going!  Take a deep breath and concentrate on how your body is healing.   

Wow Betterbreathing, 95 days is awesome.   Keep that wonderful quit going!!!!! 

• Like 5

One of my favourite slogans .....

It's Ok to Wobble ....Just don't Fall Over ....

You smoked for a long time ....your brain has to get used to the idea ...your a fabulous Non Smoker ...

Remind yourself ...just how amazing you are ....your kicking Nicotine,s Butt.....

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Nothing gold about Marlboro.   You know what's gold?  Freedom.

Freedom from pains and diseases that are the eventual endpoint of a lifetime of smoking.

I know it, you know it, and that's why we quit in the first place.   

Don't let the momentary cravings of an addiction undo all your efforts towards a healthy and longer future.

You know what I like?  Walking into an airport or other smoke-free establishment and being unconcerned

about when I can have a smoke.  Because I don't need that crap anymore.  

Soon enough you will be saying the same thing with a smile.   Visualize your success and how good it feels.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 10/28/2020 at 2:36 PM, Betterbreathing said:

Arrrghhhh. Day 95 nicotine free and whether it's the self fulfilling prophecy or not im having 3 month difficulties! Will never give in but in a parallel universe right now I am smoking a pack of marlborough gold. Tell me this will pass?

I hear ya.  I’m only 2 weeks in.  My doctor told me to quit doing the things I associate with smoking.  Doesn’t he realize when you’ve smoked everyday for 62 years, you associate everything with smoking.

I can’t wait till I hit 3 months.  You’re doing great.  Hang in there.  

Edited by JudiMD
  • Like 2

You're doing great @Judi so just keep doing what you're doing because its working. Each time you do something that you used to do as a smoker gets you past it and any craving you may have doing it will get weaker and weaker so keep that in mind too. 🤗

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, jillar said:

You're doing great @Judi so just keep doing what you're doing because its working. Each time you do something that you used to do as a smoker gets you past it and any craving you may have doing it will get weaker and weaker so keep that in mind too. 🤗

Thanks, Jillar.  Dang it’s so hard.  But when you just had a stent placed in a main artery of your heart because it was 99% clogged, and they tell you “You have a suspicious spot on your lung,”  it really gives you incentive.

Edited by JudiMD
  • Sad 2

Yea, that's scary stuff @Judi,(I read your About Me last night). Thank goodness you're doing well now and try not to worry about the nodule. They found one on my lung too when I had respiratory failure last January. Never want to hear that news but I'm also told the majority of nodules are benign 🤗

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jillar said:

Yea, that's scary stuff @Judi,(I read your About Me last night). Thank goodness you're doing well now and try not to worry about the nodule. They found one on my lung too when I had respiratory failure last January. Never want to hear that news but I'm also told the majority of nodules are benign 🤗

Well, that’s good news.  They’re going to look at it again in 3 months to see if it’s grown.  Going to be a long 3 months.  

Edited by JudiMD
  • Like 4

Quitting is the best thing you can do ,our bodies are amazing machines ...

I came here with the dread of having my high feet amputated ....due to smoking ....

Slowly but surely the healing process began ..

Within a year all my symptoms and pain had gone ,I could walk much farther than I had done for years ...

It's never too late to quit ...

I'm sure before long you feel some beniefts.....🐸

• Like 2