A reality check

kathleen0515

Here I am, eight years quit, feeling great, living a healthy life, never a thought of smoking, all is well in my world....or so I thought. Last March I had my annual low dose CT scan as I have done every year since my quit, and a very small new lung nodule was detected. As a precautionary measure, I had a follow up scan done today and found out this very small "not to worry" nodule had tripled in size in just 7 months, and has an 80% chance of malignancy. Certainly not the news I was expecting! A few of you on this board remember from our mutual time on QSMB that I had a fairly easy time with my quit, especially considering I was a heavy smoker for 45 years. I went into to my quit scared to death but confident and correct that I was only going to do this thing one time. I thought this was all behind me, but I guess that is not to be. I will face what's coming with the same attitude I had 8 years ago. I know I will beat this thing and the reason I will is because of early detection. I'm not posting for sympathy, but rather to remind people that quitting smoking is sometimes only half the battle. There are times when we find out we must reap what we sow. If you are not aware of the low dose CT scan for early detection of lung cancer, please find out about it. If you are aware, please get it done. Your life may depend on it.  

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 3

Oh no Kathleen, I'm sorry about your news and I'm thinking positive that you're going to be in the 20% that's not malignant!

Glad you're staying on top of it and thank you for sharing the importance of having the low dose ct scan. I was scared of it my first time but it's so quick and painless every ex smoker should be doing it.

Please keep us posted, we care xoxo

• Like 1

@kathleen0515 You are very fortunate for ealy detection and that the medical field is much more advanced in treating lung cancer.  Know that I will be praying for you.  I never knew about the low dose ct scan and will discuss it with my physician.  Please let us know how your are doing.  

• Like 1

Thank you for posting this important heads up on the CT scan. I'm sorry about your diagnosis and glad they found it early. Great job staying mindful of your risk profile and proactive with your health screenings! They say that action is the antidote to fear. We are holding you in our thoughts and prayers, Kathleen, as you embark on your treatment and healing journey. God bless and best wishes for a healthy outcome.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Thanks for thinking of me Jillar. Turns out I was in the lucky 20%. The nodule was benign, has actually shrunk in size, and there were no new growths. I continue to live a healthy, active life and this June will be 9 years from the date of the best decision I ever made. I'm still in touch with Jonny5 and LouDub on occasion, and they are the same - nonsmoking, happy and healthy. I often think of those early years and all the people I made connections with. I'm glad to see you're still helping others get to where we are, and hope all is well in your world!

• Like 3

On 10/19/2020 at 4:34 PM, kathleen0515 said:

Here I am, eight years quit, feeling great, living a healthy life, never a thought of smoking, all is well in my world....or so I thought. Last March I had my annual low dose CT scan as I have done every year since my quit, and a very small new lung nodule was detected. As a precautionary measure, I had a follow up scan done today and found out this very small "not to worry" nodule had tripled in size in just 7 months, and has an 80% chance of malignancy. Certainly not the news I was expecting! A few of you on this board remember from our mutual time on QSMB that I had a fairly easy time with my quit, especially considering I was a heavy smoker for 45 years. I went into to my quit scared to death but confident and correct that I was only going to do this thing one time. I thought this was all behind me, but I guess that is not to be. I will face what's coming with the same attitude I had 8 years ago. I know I will beat this thing and the reason I will is because of early detection. I'm not posting for sympathy, but rather to remind people that quitting smoking is sometimes only half the battle. There are times when we find out we must reap what we sow. If you are not aware of the low dose CT scan for early detection of lung cancer, please find out about it. If you are aware, please get it done. Your life may depend on it.  

Kathleen, check into Michael Greger, MD on NutritionFacts.org. 

His grandmother was given 6 months to live because of heart disease, entered a clinical program, and went on to live another 12 years.

Her health problem was heart disease, not cancer, but Dr Greger's research includes cancer issues.

It may not be a cure-all, but perhaps this will give you hope and a plan of action.

He is a physician who has devoted his life to presenting the results of medical clinical trials about foods that help us to be our healthiest, to arrest or reverse disease.

Perhaps this won't be a cure, but it will do no harm. 

Best of luck