Drinking...

Matthew0225

Assuming of course that you got rid of any cigarettes now that you are quit. I drank when I first quit but I stayed home where there was no way I could smoke because I had no access to them

• Like 2

Excellent Matthew, your cravings should start going down a bunch now as your brain comes to the realization that there's no cigarettes around. And if they don't you can always do what I did a lot, just go to bed and hope tomorrow is a little better. You're doing really well 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Matthew0225 said:

I'm feeling very heavy cravings after consuming alcohol.  What's your advice to outlast the situation?

Thank you,

Matthew

My advice ....Stay away from alcohol until you feel more stronger in your quit ...this is what I did ..

I seen many a good quit lost through alcohol...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If quitting smoking is what you want to do Matthew then you need to be all in. 100% committed to being cigarette and nicotine free. Otherwise it will not be successful. I would also advise staying away from alcohol for awhile. On account that it will alter your ability to make sound choices regarding your quit. Once you've established a good quit then I would say slowly work back into having a few drinks. 

• Like 4

I did what Mac is saying when I quit. I stopped drinking(2-4 a day habit) for 5 weeks before I had a drink and I kept that practice up for quite a while. I never returned to drinking as much as I use to but still enjoy a cold one or glass of wine. Everyone is different but Mac`s advice is the way I resumed drinking after quitting and it worked for me. Good idea to trash the smokes if your going to drink. I strongly advise not getting drunk while you are early in your quit. Best wishes.

• Like 4

Matthew, I couldn't help but to chime in here. I am a recovering alcoholic. Been sober for over 3 years now. I don't know about you, but I could not drink and quit smoking. I have had some luck at quitting smoking without drinking. I don't understand it, but the two just seem to go together for me. I could never quit smoking while drinking a six pack every evening.

I wish you Luck with your quit!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, JH63 said:

Matthew, I couldn't help but to chime in here. I am a recovering alcoholic. Been sober for over 3 years now. I don't know about you, but I could not drink and quit smoking. I have had some luck at quitting smoking without drinking. I don't understand it, but the two just seem to go together for me. I could never quit smoking while drinking a six pack every evening.

I wish you Luck with your quit!

Congratulations on your 3 years Alcohol free JH...High Five !!!

• Like 3

On 10/16/2020 at 10:29 PM, Matthew0225 said:

I'm feeling very heavy cravings after consuming alcohol.  What's your advice to outlast the situation?

Thank you,

Matthew

I would pass on any alcohol until you're far enough into your quit that life is no longer a trigger for you. It may seem like triggers to smoke will always be a larger factor but they won't.

• Like 3

Congratulations on stopping smoking, Matthew! Definitely stay away from the drink if it makes you crave.  I did early on.  You know how alcohol ruins most people's good intentions.  Not worth it!  You're almost done with hell week, Matthew. Great going!

Edited by Angeleek
  • Like 5

Hi Matthew, I just posted on another board about this; I have an air cigarette, don't use it for days at a time but occasionally, with a glass of wine, I'll take it out. It moves me past the craving. I think people have mixed feelings about air cigarettes but, depending how challenged you feel, it may be something to consider. 

Edited by Shezi
  • Like 4

Part of a straw with a piece of a cotton ball in the end of it have gotten me through many a craving. Deep breathing has also helped me. Sometimes all I need to do is just get up and move to a different place in my house. It's odd, but almost anything that that causes my mind to change directions will get me through that craving.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, JH63 said:

Part of a straw with a piece of a cotton ball in the end of it have gotten me through many a craving. Deep breathing has also helped me. Sometimes all I need to do is just get up and move to a different place in my house. It's odd, but almost anything that that causes my mind to change directions will get me through that craving.

👍👍👍😀

• Like 1