Strange dilemma

Matthew0225

What I'm having the most trouble with as to getting the momentum going is finding motivation.  I know I should quit but I'm having trouble finding a really good, meaningful reason.  I've done it before but this time I'm severely lacking willpower on it.  Which is really how I end up doomed.  The best I can do at this time is just tell myself "stop for a month and see how you feel."  I know about the health risks, cost, etc, but that oddly isn't hacking it.  What do you think?  Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. 

I think willpower and motivation are overrated.  Much of the time you see what the right thing to do is and you just do it.  Quitting smoking is the right thing to do...just do it.

Commitment, a relentless commitment, is what you need to stop smoking.  With a firm commitment, it doesn't matter if you're riding high or just punching the clock and putting in the work.  Commitment will carry you through any and all challenges.

Commitment is a firm foundation you can build on.  Motivation is unreliable and fleeting.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I have to agree with Boo here.  Whether you remain a smoker or quit to become a non-smoker is a decision.  Once you make the decision to become a non-smoker, you must stick to it no matter what.  No doubt, there will be times you will question your decision.  We are addicts after all.  We want our substance of abuse.  That's why you need to be 100% committed to your decision.  You're bound to have moments of weakness and you'll give in if you're not totally committed.

• Like 4

You think you know all about the health's risks ....costs ..ect ....

Believe me ....You dont !!!......

This is a Addiction ....and a life killing Addiction .....

It's the junkie monkey talking ,when you say your having trouble finding a reason to Quit ...

How about not dying of a horrible smoking related illness that could have you suffering for years ..

How about having your limbs amputated ???

I'm thinking these two things are a wonderful reason to quit ..

Spend time Reading and watching the videos here .....All will come clear ...

• Like 4

'Motivation is not the spark that keeps you eager to do hard work. It is the RESULT! Real motivation comes after you start.'

'Motivation is the pride you take in the work you’ve done, fueling your willingness to do more.'

Write and you become a writer :)

https://medium.com/@sarahcy/motivation-is-overrated-the-motivation-myth-by-jeff-haden-98df2623dcdd 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, jillar said:

How about the fact that smokers who get Covid-19 are at higher risks of hospitalization or even death? Would that motivate you enough? 

Please read the post again.

48 minutes ago, Doreensfree said:

You think you know all about the health's risks ....costs ..ect ....

Believe me ....You dont !!!......

This is a Addiction ....and a life killing Addiction .....

It's the junkie monkey talking ,when you say your having trouble finding a reason to Quit ...

How about not dying of a horrible smoking related illness that could have you suffering for years ..

How about having your limbs amputated ???

I'm thinking these two things are a wonderful reason to quit ..

Spend time Reading and watching the videos here .....All will come clear ...

What's your problem?  There's no reason to be so aggressive.

Edited by Matthew0225

1 hour ago, Matthew0225 said:

The best I can do at this time is just tell myself "stop for a month and see how you feel."

Then do that and when you've done it do another one.

Fyi, before you give another rude reply to someone trying to help you consider that they could be speaking from experience......

https://www.quittrain.com/topic/6446-a-tale-of-two-husbandswhich-will-you-be/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Matthew0225 said:

What's your problem?  There's no reason to be so aggressive.

If it seems like we treat quitting smoking like a matter of life and death around here, it's because it is a matter of life and death.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Matthew0225 said:

What I'm having the most trouble with as to getting the momentum going is finding motivation.   I know about the health risks, cost, etc, but that oddly isn't hacking it.  What do you think?  

Perhaps the simple answer is you're just not ready to quit yet.  I'm guessing that not many people are successful at quitting if they can't find the motivation to do so.  Hope you find that answer soon.

• Like 7

Wow!!...There is a first time for everything ..!!!!

Matthew...

You came here asking for help ....

Help comes in many ways ....some give hard facts ...thier experience,s....

Some come along and slap you with a feather....

It doesn't matter as long as you get help in your Nicotine Addiction ....

If you don't need my help ..that's ok ....take what you need , and leave the rest .

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Doreensfree said:

Wow!!...There is a first time for everything ..!!!!

Matthew...

You came here asking for help ....

Help comes in many ways ....some give hard facts ...thier experience,s....

Some come along and slap you with a feather....

It doesn't matter as long as you get help in your Nicotine Addiction ....

If you don't need my help ..that's ok ....take what you need , and leave the rest .

Look, I'm sorry, just mind the fact that tone and body language don't convey in the written word.  In my head it read that you were snapping at me.  I may have been wrong, but that's just how it felt at the time.  But everybody's thoughts have been expressed and heard and now I think it's time for us to walk away from this.  I'm sorry that I overreacted.

Edited by Matthew0225
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Matthew0225 said:

In my head it read that you were snapping at me

Because in your mind, you are not ready to accept the reality of the consecequences of your addiction.   Unfortunately, many of us chose to ignore the reality of what smoking was doing and smoked for way to many years.  We are now experiencing the consequences of our addiction.  I smoked for 42 years thinking the benefits outwayed the consequences.  The older I became, the fear, shame and health issues all became too real.   The only thing the members of this forum want, is the opportunity to save another person from the consequences of smoking.  Stick around and get to know us.  There is wonderful friendship and lots of help here!  

• Like 5

Maybe you are waiting for an epiphany or for something to happen in order to jump start your quit. If nothing's going on to really motivate you, take Boo's advice and quit cuz it's the right thing to do.

Boo is right. Do it cuz it's the right thing to do. You'll thank yourself for it some day in the future.

Edited by Angeleek
  • Like 6

22 hours ago, Matthew0225 said:

...I know I should quit but I'm having trouble finding a really good, meaningful reason...  

...I've done it before but this time I'm severely lacking willpower on it...

Hello Matthew,

First of all, there's not just 1, there are hundreds of meaningful reasons to quit smoking, and every smoker knows them, I'm sure you do too.  But all smokers choose to ignore those reasons so that they can continue smoking.

I quit and failed many, many times in the past 40 years.  The willpower slowly faded away and the many great reasons got replaced by pathetic excuses as the "cravings" get stronger and stronger.

The reason you're having a hard time quitting smoking is not that you're lacking willpower or you don't have a good meaningful reason to quit.  The reason for failing is the lack of understanding what smoking is all about.  It's not just a bad habit, as Doreen already indicated:  it's an addiction

People don't smoke because they enjoy it, people smoke because they're addicted to Nicotine and they need to feed the addiction, period. 

For me personally, educated myself is the reason for my successful quit so far.  Once I learned about the addiction, I was able to overcome all the cravings (physically and mentally) without relying on "willpower".

My only advice is educate yourself about the Nicotine addiction, there are many great materials on this site in the static posts as well as links to other great resources.  The understanding about this nasty addiction will enable you to quit much easier than relying on "willpower".

Start with the post on "How Nicotine works", then slowly go through all the other materials, the more you read, the better understanding you have, the easier it is to quit.

Welcome to Quittrain, hope you stay and enjoy the ride.

• Like 4