When

Bope

Hello everyone, I have been 1 month without smoking, walking every day for 30 minutes, it has also been difficult I also have reflux that burns my throat, my question is when you start to see the benefits of having quit smoking. I have not been able to enjoy them so far. honestly the reflux appeared when I quit smoking. throat clearing, postnasal drip, this has been hell, so far quitting has only brought me trouble

• Like 3

Congratulations on one month quit Bope, that's great! Surely you've noticed small benefits of quitting like your sense of smell and taste getting better. Or your hands and feet being warmer and your gums pinker by your improved circulation?

Sometimes we get so focused on the negative that we miss the positives. And as far as your acid reflux, when I get it I take a couple of Tums or Rolaids they work super fast and super well 😊

• Like 5

Hi Bope. I, like you, thought that there were more drawbacks than benefits in the early part of quit. I had frequent sore throats, irritability, difficulty sleeping, etc. In fact, I sometimes thought that I had waited too long and was going to die before I ever realized the advantages of quitting. Well, fast forward a few months after quitting and my health issues did a complete 180 degrees.  All of my lab work showed massive improvement.  Cholesterol dropped about 60 points, blood pressure went down and so on and so forth. Now I do things I was unable to do in my 20's. Of course, diet and exercise also played a role in repairing my health.

Stick with it. I'm really confident that you'll begin to see some amazing benefits in the not too distant future.  It takes some time to undo the years (decades?) of damage that those poisons did to your body.

I would suggest that you see a doctor if you're concerned about your current condition.  He/she may be able to provide the temporary relief you need to get past this difficult time. 

Edited by BKP
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Welcome Bope.  Congratulations on 30 days quit.  You have already gone through hell week and are well on your way to a solid quit!  I would give yourself more time on these issues, but if they persist, see your physician.  We abused our bodies with smoking for many years and it does take time to adjust.  Stay close to the forum and educate yourself about your addiction.  We are here to guide your through his journey.  You can do this!

• Like 4

I completely understand you tell me, it is difficult, I really miss the cigarette, I will keep waiting to see how good it makes me quit smoking, I just have to be patient, maybe vaping or what, I'm sure I'm going to regret it. always grateful for your responses, it's great to be able to talk to someone who knows how you feel

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I went to several doctors, they all tell me that I'm perfect, blood tests all perfect, I was smoking 40 a day, I'm 38 years old, I smoked for 24 years, it's true I can't wait 30 days to feel excellent, I'm doing 30 minute walks all the days, eating more fiber, drinking a lot of water, the issue is patience and more patience ... thanks

• Like 2

I'm not a Dr, but Omeprazole is what really helps with my reflux...I used to go thru a bottle of tums a day until I was told I have gerd. I also have a retention cyst so I use Flonase (you can get it in store brand much MUCH cheaper) and it helps with my nasal problems.

It could be just coincidence that the problems became more obvious when you quit smoking or it could be that smoking was masking them. I wouldn't connect the two tho. I kept my quit separate from everything; it was precious so I put it on a pedestal. 

Be careful about romancing the cigarette...

12 hours ago, Bope said:

I really miss the cigarette,

This is how "maybe just one" happens...stay on guard!! Keep taking care of yourself, keep coming here to vent the bad days away...that's how you keep your quit!!

I hope you feel better soon!

• Like 4

Hi Bope, welcome to the Quit Train and congratulations on your one month smoke free!  Some people feel great when they quit smoking, some feel bad, and some notice no difference.  I did't notice a difference myself but I have always been a pretty active person.  I did find out later that smoking caused blood circulation problems for me but I never experienced problems due to it.  At a regular checkup, a doctor commented that he thought I may have Raynaud's Syndrome because the tips of a couple of my fingers were bright red.  He couldn't see my bright red toes that had been that way for decades.  All my fingers and toes became normal looking when I quit smoking.  We all know that smoking is bad for us and even if we don't notice problems, real bad things could be happening in our bodies without our knowledge.  Regarding acid reflux, I tend to get it when I consume carbs, especially if I eat them close to bed time.  I mostly follow a low carb diet and when I stick with the program, I feel great.  Your postnasal drip could be due to allergies which can surface at any time in your life.  So, if I were you, I would stay away from nicotine.  After a month, you have cleared it from your system and there is no need to reintroduce it!  Maybe see if you can get yourself feeling better by tinkering with your diet.  We're all unique and different things work for different people.  I hope you feel better soon!

• Like 3

You have been given good solid advice ...

I will repeat Patience .....

You've abused your body 40times a day for 24years ....it will need more than 60days to heal...

Which is a fabulous Achievement ....you have a nice Quit going ....

Why would you ruin your lungs more with vaping ....this would be madness....

Take each day as it comes ....Positive thoughts ....all will pass as the days pass...

Stick by the board ...we are here to help you along on your journey ...

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Bope said:

Hello everyone, I have been 1 month without smoking, walking every day for 30 minutes, it has also been difficult I also have reflux that burns my throat, my question is when you start to see the benefits of having quit smoking. I have not been able to enjoy them so far. honestly the reflux appeared when I quit smoking. throat clearing, postnasal drip, this has been hell, so far quitting has only brought me trouble

Bope,

Focus on the immediate health benefits.

Quit Smoking Recovery Timetable

Within ...

20 minutes

Your blood pressure, pulse rate and the temperature of your hands and feet have returned to normal.

8 hours

Remaining nicotine in your bloodstream has fallen to 6.25% of normal peak daily levels, a 93.75% reduction.

12 hours

Your blood oxygen level has increased to normal. Carbon monoxide levels have dropped to normal.

24 hours

Anxieties have peaked in intensity and within two weeks should return to near pre-cessation levels.

48 hours

Damaged nerve endings have started to regrow and your sense of smell and taste are beginning to return to normal. Cessation anger and irritability will have peaked.

72 hours

Your entire body will test 100% nicotine-free. Over 90% of all nicotine metabolites (the chemicals nicotine breaks down into) have passed from your body via your urine.  Symptoms of chemical withdrawal have peaked in intensity, including restlessness. Unless use cues have been avoided, the number of cue induced crave episodes experienced during any quitting day have peaked for the "average" ex-user. Lung bronchial tubes leading to air sacs (alveoli) are beginning to relax in recovering smokers. Breathing is becoming easier and your lung's functional abilities are improving.

5 - 8 days

The "average" ex-smoker is down to experiencing just three cue induced crave episodes per day. Although we may not be "average" and although minutes may feel like hours when normal cessation time distortion combines with the body's panic response, it is unlikely that any single episode will last longer than 3 minutes. Keep a clock handy and time the episode to maintain an honest perspective on time.

10 days

The "average" ex-user is down to encountering less than two crave episodes per day.

10 days to 2 weeks

Recovery has likely progressed to the point where your addiction is no longer doing the talking. Blood circulation in your gums and teeth are now similar to that of a non-user.

2 to 4 weeks

Cessation related anger, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, impatience, insomnia, restlessness and depression have ended. If still experiencing any of these symptoms get seen and evaluated by your physician.

2 weeks to 3 months

Your heart attack risk has started to drop. Your lung function has noticeably improved. If your health permits, sample your circulation and lung improvement by walking briskly, climbing stairs or running further or faster than normal.

21 days

The number of acetylcholine receptors, which were up-regulated in response to nicotine's presence in the frontal, parietal, temporal, occipital, basal ganglia, thalamus, brain stem and cerebellum regions of your brain have now substantially down-regulated. Receptor binding has returned to levels seen in the brains of non-smokers (2007 study).

3 weeks to 3 months

Your circulation has substantially improved. Walking has become easier. Your chronic cough, if any, has likely disappeared. If not, get seen by a doctor, and sooner if at all concerned, as a chronic cough can be a sign of lung cancer.

4 weeks

Plasma suPAR is a stable inflammatory biomarker that helps predict development of diseases ranging from diabetes to cancer in smokers. A 2016 study found that within 4 weeks of quitting smoking, with or without NRT, that suPAR levels in 48 former smokers had fallen from a baseline smoking median of 3.2 ng/ml to levels "no longer significantly different from the never smokers' values" (1.9 ng/ml)

8 weeks

Insulin resistance in smokers has normalized despite average weight gain of 2.7 kg (2010 SGR, page 384).

1 to 9 months

Any smoking related sinus congestion, fatigue or shortness of breath has decreased. Cilia have regrown in your trachea (windpipe) thereby increasing the ability to sweep dirt and mucus out of your lungs. Your body's overall energy has increased.

1 year

Your excess risk of coronary heart disease, heart attack and stroke has dropped to less than half that of a smoker.

5 years

Your risk of a subarachnoid hemorrhage has declined to 59% of your risk while still smoking (2012 study). If a female ex-smoker, your risk of developing diabetes is now that of a non-smoker (2001 study).

5 to 15 years

Your risk of stroke has declined to that of a non-smoker.

10 years

Your risk of being diagnosed with lung cancer is between 30% to 50% of that for a continuing smoker (2005 study). Risk of death from lung cancer has declined by almost half if you were an average smoker (one pack per day).  Risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus and pancreas have declined. Risk of developing diabetes for both men and women is now similar to that of a never-smoker (2001 study).

13 years

The average smoker lucky enough to live to age 75 has 5.8 fewer teeth than a non-smoker (1998 study). But by year 13 after quitting, your risk of smoking induced tooth loss has declined to that of a never-smoker (2006 study).

15 years

Your risk of coronary heart disease is now that of a person who has never smoked. Your risk of pancreatic cancer has declined to that of a never-smoker (2011 study - but note a 2nd pancreatic study making an identical finding at 20 years).

20 years

If a female, your excess risk of death from all smoking related causes, including lung disease and cancer, has now reduced to that of a never-smoker (2008 study). Risk of pancreatic cancer has also declined to that of a never-smoker (2011 study).

• Like 5

Welcome aboard Bope,

Congratulations on your quit. I don't understand why people would want to vape. The vape is a mist which is moisture. Water and moisture are not meant to be in your lungs at all. Are you looking to vape because you need the nicotine or need to feel like your still smoking. If you're doing it for the latter then you're just giving in to the junkie mentality. You have to commit and keep the faith. Things will get better just believe in the process

Edited by Mac#23
  • Like 4