New quit date....Monday. 10/12/20

Margeetx

I will stop smoking on Monday.  I retired in 2016, after working as an RN for 47 years.  Had no significant health issues until 10/15/15....these issues have

gotten worse and my retirement has been horrible.  Surprising....the issues have not been pulmonary so to speak...primarily abdomen aneurysm’s, resistant hypertension and 

AFIB.   My pulmonary function...my doctor determined that I am not a real cigarette inhaler, as much as a mouth smoker, for the most part.  But, I know the smoking is affecting my circulation.  I was walking 2 miles 3-4 times a week;  could easily play 36 holes of golf ( and, in the Texas heat);  worked in my backyard garden from 7AM to 7PM without any issues.  This was up until 

10/15.  My 44 year old son ( a twin) died suddenly in 2018 of a pulmonary embolism...he was a health nut...strong and healthy, 6’4”, hard worker, loved working as a high aerial construction worker.  I have a daughter ( his twin ), and another son.   3 grandchildren.  Married to a retired forensic police officer.

I decided that I will quit.  My Mom quit cold turkey in 1986; she had smoked since she was 16.  I KNOW that I can do this.  I quit once for 3 years in the late 

80’s, after my brother died of a brain tumor when he was 52.  I have also lost 

an older sister and older brother.  We had a wonderful family with 8 living children...I was an Air Force brat.  I started back smoking after the 3 year quit

when I was on vacation in Hawaii, with another couple...both smoked.  Too much adult beverage one night....in a month, I was back smoking just as before.

I am hoping to get support here.

Thanks for listening....ROLL TIDE!!!!!

• Like 4

Welcome aboard margee, sorry that you've had to deal with all that. No parent should have to bury their child 😢

Quitting is the best thing you can do for your health and better circulation was one of the first things I noticed 😊 

I was thinking since you're here and all why not just quit now? Pull the bandaid off and spare yourself the work up to "the day"......

• Like 3

Hi @Margeetx, welcome to Quit Train!  Sounds like you have a lot of good reasons to quit!  But when it comes down to it, there really is no good reason to smoke.  While you're doing your countdown to your actual quit, maybe you can read some of the material here to help you learn more about nicotine addiction.  I found education to be the single most helpful thing for me.  When the quitting process gets a tough, it's good to know that smoking really does nothing good for us.  When we truly believe that with all our heart, it's much easier to stay quit for the long haul.

My best to you for a successful quit!

Mona

• Like 4

Welcome aboard Margeetx,

Your decision to be a non smoker is the best decision you will ever make. Coming to this site was the second best decision you will make. There are many people here in various stages of their quit all willing to help and support you on this journey. There is an abundance of articles and videos here to help you gain knowledge about this deadly addiction. You can do this because you're stronger than this addiction. So, grab a seat and enjoy your journey to happier and healthier life.

• Like 3

Welcome Margee.  So glad you found us and  have decided to quit.  This forum was the miracle for me.  I also smoked for over 40 years and quit when I retired.  I so wanted to enjoy retirement with my husband and not have to deal with health issues.  I have been quit for two years now and am hoping my body continues to heal from all the years of smoking.  Hang close to the forum and get to know all the friends here;  educate yourself and play some games.  Quitting is just a matter of stopping and redirecting those thoughts that encourage you to smoke.  You can do this!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Hello and Welcome aboard the magical Train ...it will take you all the way to Freedom ....but you have to want to go there .....

Sorry you have been through so much loss ....

Right I was a 52 year smoker ...and I've been quit for 7years ....there is no reason on this earth that you carn,t be too..

Knowledge ....soak it up like a sponge ....learn all there is to learn here ...watch all the video,s....

This is what will help you along ...

You get all the help and support from the members here ....

Stay close ,join in ....have fun too.....

You owe yourself ...the best health you can be ....it's never too late ....I can promise you that ...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I have no clue on all of the possible ways to navigate this site....I am trying not to make it complicated....I promise!  I worked in a psychiatric hospital for nearly 10 years.  I managed the day treatment program.  Held groups with addicts....did their drug screens....kept the doctors in line.  This was back in the day when airlines would pay for 30 days inpatient, then they would transfer to my day program.  Most were pilots, and most were alcoholics.  The failure rate was extremely high after the first admission.  So, I know what the disease of addiction is.  I HAVE NOW REALIZED THAT MY SMOKING IS AN ADDICTION.  I am thankful that I rarely drink alcohol.  My issue may end up being with coffee...however, with my AFIB, I have reduced down to 2 cups only in the morning.  Hubby is going today to get me some peppermint and butterscotch hard candy.  
I will talk with y’all soon......xxoo

• Like 2

Hello all.....should I spend $199.00 dollars for the Allen Carr system....or can I get plenty of support from all of you great folks?
We are seniors, on a fixed income.....that is a lot of $$$ in my book.

help me know what to do....purty please.....xxoo

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

No! That's a ridiculous amount of money. The book at Wal-Mart is about $8.00 but I think you can find an online copy that's may be free or close to it.

When I quit I had no idea there were support forums but every time I googled one of my recovery symptoms the first results were from forums. Once I got brave enough to join I found that all I needed was the support of fellow quitters who knew exactly what I was going through and could reassure me it was normal. I stayed glued there my whole first year and if I wasn't supporting other members or posting on my own journey I was reading post after post from others who had gone before me.

Take a look around our board and you'll see a huge library of information about our addiction as well as a whole forum of quit smoking videos. All free and accessible 24/7 😊

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Margeetx said:

I read “somewhere” that picking a quit date helps.  I am reading all that I can.  When I quit before....it was Pre- internet....so, I am really trying to absorb all that I can....

xxoo

Great!

I needed to pick my own date too...and then get myself psyched and prepared for the big day!  Hope it goes well for you!!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Margeetx said:

Hello all.....should I spend $199.00 dollars for the Allen Carr system....or can I get plenty of support from all of you great folks?

Edited by MarylandQuitter
This came up a few years ago and we can't post links to the Allen Carr's free download.
  • Like 1

Welcome aboard, @Margeetx! You have come to the right place for information on your addiction to nicotine and support in quitting! Knowledge is power....so read all you can here and watch the Joel videos....and take a break now and then and play some games here...😷  

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Margeetx said:

I found Joel Spitzer's videos incredibly helpful when I started my quit.  There is a wealth of information in those videos and they are available here for free.

https://www.quittrain.com/forum/15-joel-spitzers-quit-smoking-video-library/

By the way, welcome to the Quit Train Margeetx.  Enjoy the ride.

• Like 3

All you need to do is just stop one strange habit of yours

I think you can do that  .

There is going to be a lot of strange struggles in the beginning . 1 month later you will slowly start forgetting about cigarettes

Just avoid this one habit of yours , continue everything else .

:)

• Like 3

Welcome Margee! Hope your first quit days have gone off smoothly.  Congrats on taking your health back into your own hands! You know that stopping smoking will do you so much good and reduce your risk profile for all the terrible diseases....so yay!!! 

And you already know you can do it.  Yes, do watch the Joel Spitzer videos to arm yourself with information that will help you stay the course during the beginning days.  It's like having your own counselor on recording.

Browse the forum.  Read as much as you can to stay informed.  There are some awesome tobacco documentaries to blow your mind and deepen your resolve to make it through the first days.  And games to keep you occupied if you are bored or having a crave.

Best of luck on your new quit journey! You got this! We are here to support you.

• Like 3

On 10/11/2020 at 9:57 PM, Margeetx said:

Absolutely not. I read Allen Carr's book and there is nothing in it that quitters hadn't already figured out. It's enlightening when you first hear from an "official source" that smoking doesn't help you cope with stress etc., but you can get that from his promotional video. Allen Carr couldn't quit smoking until his wife made him see a hypnotist to help him quit. That is how he quit smoking. Since then, they've applied the same principals in his original book, "The Easy Way" to come out with subsequent books on quitting drinking etc. Really, the easiest way is to simply not ever take another puff - EVER. If you want to read his book, that is fine and as @jillar mentioned, you can buy it for 8 bucks.

This site is 100% free and you're not even bombarded with ads, annoying or otherwise. :)

https://whyquit.com/joels-videos/the-isolation-of-the-widowed-smoker/

• Like 5

So sad, I have been there and done that. Could'nt wait for my family to go home, so i could smoke in peace.  I cherish every moment I have with them now.

On 10/12/2020 at 7:30 PM, Boo said:

I found Joel Spitzer's videos incredibly helpful when I started my quit.  There is a wealth of information in those videos and they are available here for free.

https://www.quittrain.com/forum/15-joel-spitzers-quit-smoking-video-library/

• Like 1

On 10/11/2020 at 9:57 PM, Margeetx said:

Hello all.....should I spend $199.00 dollars for the Allen Carr system

No, I wouldn't pay for it! I found a link to it. Read it 3 times. From everything I'd heard about it, I thought I had missed something. Don't get me wrong, it's a good read for some extra motivation. He makes some very good points. But there is no magic trick there, you still have to quit for yourself by a comment made to yourself.

Good Luck! I hope your quit is still going well!

• Like 2