Been a while

bjean

I joined this group in 2017 because I was finally determined to quit smoking.  I quit on August 30, 2017.  I was faithful about posting my struggle, hoping that encouragement would keep me on track.  On September 7, I had a gallbladder attack.  That night, around midnight, my gallbladder got worse and I had to call an ambulance because I couldn’t drive.  At 2pm on September 8’ I had surgery to remove my gallbladder and all hell really broke loose.  I have afib.  The day I went home from the hospital, it kicked in....and didn’t go away.  2 weeks later, my blood pressure went haywire. They tried to shock my heart back into rhythm.  Didn’t work. Last year I had a breakdown and was off work for 7 weeks for outpatient mental health treatment.  BUT....I’m still not smoking.  What helped me doesn’t make complete sense, but it worked.  I bought 2 packs of cigarettes and put them in my glove box.  This is a psych thing.  I didn’t have the panic attacks that I had when I tried before.  I knew I had cigarettes so every craving was MY choice.  I wasn’t deprived of cigarettes.  They were available.  That they can help you put off the craving....and put it off again.  I’m sorry to be so long, but maybe this will help somebody.  

• Like 2

Hi bjean, congratulations on three years quit! Sounds like you really had some challenges your first year quit and I hope you're doing better now.

I know a few others who quit while keeping cigarettes around but boy I couldn't do that. I smoked every butt in my ashtray the day I quit. That's why my quit time is 10:15pm instead of 3:30pm....

• Like 1

Yaaa....Good to see you ....

Those nasty Gallbladders... I had to have mine out too...

Glad to hear you are still smoke free... Congratulations......I'm sure your recovery would have took longer as a smoker ...

I'm with Jillar in this one ...I couldn't have a cigerette lying around ...No way ...

I was a 52 years Junkie ...who would have found any excuse under the sun to smoke them ..

• Like 1

Hi Bjean, wow what a journey. How are you doing now? I whish you well!

Not too long ago I had a small but super intense mental break down. I was with a friend who carried cigarettes. I made her promiss to keep them close  in case I was going to hurt myself.  I knew I wouldnt smoke, but I needed something that reminded me of a part of myself where I was able to make a healthy, concious and safe choice. Including the choice of not hurting myself physically. Ive never been tempted that evening, on the contrary: it gave me back my sense of self. 

• Like 1