Chantex

Linda

Hi Linda, I know @Nancy successfully quit using Chantix. I also used it and quit for three weeks so figured I didn't need to buy another month and relapsed. So if you do use it stay on it for the recommended time which I believe is three months at least.

• Like 1

Yes, I quit 7 years ago using Chantix.  I followed the directions exactly and had my last cigarette on the 13th day.  I had smoked  a pack and an half for 40 years, so if I can do it, you can, too!!  Chantix takes the edge off, but it still requires extreme dedication and determination!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Nancy said:

Yes, I quit 7 years ago using Chantix.  I followed the directions exactly and had my last cigarette on the 13th day.  I had smoked  a pack and an half for 40 years, so if I can do it, you can, too!!  Chantix takes the edge off, but it still requires extreme dedication and determination!

Did you take it for the 3 months?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wayne045 said:

I also used it successfully.  Coming up on 4.5 years smoke free.

Consult with your doctor first.   Well you have to to get the prescription here in the US

Yes I did get script from doctor. Did you take it for 3 months?

14 hours ago, Linda said:

Yes I did get script from doctor. Did you take it for 3 months?

The 1st time yes.   Was smoke free for 14 weeks, then stupidly thought I would have just one, which turned into two the next day and so on.   I smoked an additional 7 months after that, feeling like a failure each time I lit up.

Finally I reached that true "want to quit" attitude/mindset.  So my doctor renewed the prescription and I began again.   I stopped smoking when I was about halfway through the 3 months medication and also stopped the medication the next day, because I felt it was unnecessary with my new attitude (that doesn't mean you or anyone else should stop the medication like I did, everyone is different).

I knew this was THE quit.   Heck,  I quit in the middle of the afternoon, I smoked my last cigarette (figuratively and literally), right after lunch.  I didn't even want the cigarette, and only smoked it out of habit.

The moral of the story:   Don't expect the Chantix to be a silver bullet, it will make smoking less satisfying and ease the withdrawal, but YOU (Linda) are still required to do the heavy lifting of quitting, to get into that "want to quit" mindset, to get through the cravings, to identify and avoid triggers, and commit yourself to not smoking again.   Ever.

Edited by Wayne045
  • Like 3

Linda, I'm so glad you got the prescription for Chantex!  Maybe it'll be just the thing you need to help you with your quit!  I am on the patch and have stepped down to level 2 after 6 weeks on level 1...I don't really feel like I need them anymore, but i'm going to follow the directions on the box and stay on them for about 3 more weeks.  Maybe you should just go into taking the Chantex assuming you will stay on it for the full 3 months to just to give yourself the best shot possible of sticking with your quit.  You can do this, Linda!

• Like 3