Cold Turkey Vs Gradual Decline

Hey guys, i'm interested in knowing how many people stop smoking using the two schools of thought Cold Turkey Vs Gradual Decline in smoking. 

So Cold Turkey is: Stopping smoking at one single time & never smoking again 

Gradual Decline is: Decreasing the amount you smoke over time until you are down to one cig a day then you stop completely

What are peoples experience with these two methods, success rates, how you handled it etc?

Thanks guys.

• Like 1

Hello Taylor,

It's wonderful to see people wanting to quit.  I saw your pledge post earlier, haven't had a chance to say "Welcome to the Quit Train"

The best way to quit is to Educate yourself first.  Smoking is Nicotine Addiction, learn about the Addiction to understand the withdrawals (cravings) and understand how it's destroying your body, then pick your method.  Any method such as Cold Turkey, Nicotine supplement (patches, etc.) will work when you understand the addiction.

Gradually decline is NOT a quitting method, on the contrary, it's making it much harder to quit.  Extending the time between each smoke will make the addiction more intense, hence giving you the perception that you "enjoy" smoking more, where you're just feeding the addiction.

Please go through the materials in the sticky posts to educate yourself so you can quit successfully.

• Like 3

Hi Taylor, I agree with johnq cutting down isn't a quit method. Your quit date starts the second you put out your last cigarette and I saw you posted in the NOPE thread so congratulations on choosing today to quit 😊

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JohnQ said:

Gradually decline is NOT a quitting method, on the contrary, it's making it much harder to quit.  Extending the time between each smoke will make the addiction more intense, hence giving you the perception that you "enjoy" smoking more, where you're just feeding the addiction.

Bingo!

Gradual decline is the worst of both worlds: you're still a smoker but you experience the withdrawal symptoms associated with the early days of a quit.

I wasted a lot of time dipping a toe to check the water. Thankfully, I finally jumped right in.

And the rest is history.

• Like 4

Oh I've tried this method quite a few times in my 52 year Smoking Career....

Knowing you only have a certain few cigs a day ...mind blowing...

Clock watching ...watching the minutes go by ..ever so slowly ,waiting for that precious hand on the clock to click on the minute you can finally light up ,and ease those cravings ...not wanting the cigerette to ever end ,cos you know you have to do it all again ....and again ...

My advice ...don't bother with all that torture ....put them down and promise never to smoke again ..

• Like 5

Gradual decline doesn't work. All it eventually does is help you feel better about smoking. Cold turkey is not the only way to quit. You can quit using the patch, Chantix and even nicotine gum. These a tried and true quit methods. So, decide whether you want to quit and become a non smoker. If so then get on the train.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Boo said:

Gradual decline is the worst of both worlds: you're still a smoker but you experience the withdrawal symptoms associated with the early days of a quit.

True dat.  I was always miserable when I tried cutting back and it was usually not too long before I was back my normal daily average.

• Like 5

I have to agree with all the posts that gradual decline does not work. For the last few years I smoked I was constantly getting down to just a few a day. better than a pack a day but not  quitting or even getting close. Actually it was my doctor who suggested that method. I always thought that if only I could be forced not to smoke for a few days I could make the move to quit. Careful what you wish for and every cloud does have a silver lining. Make a long story short, I came down with a viral pneumonia and spent 3 days in ICU and another 5 in the hospital. It was just time to put up or shut up in my mind. I had run out of excuses. I just wish I had done it sooner. Other people use different methods to quit than CT and I support that but you have to get the cig out of your mouth. I wish you all the best.

• Like 5

• 6 months later...