How to start...

Chris W.

Welcome aboard our train full of quitters Chris and good on you for taking back your freedom :) 

13 hours ago, Chris W. said:

I'm looking for advice on how to take the first step to stop

The very first step to stopping is to quit putting a cigarette in your mouth and lighting it. It really is that simple. Most of us, if not all, at some point thought we really loved to smoke but as you go along with your quit you'll see all the great benefits in NOT having to go smoke and it really is life changing. You will love your new life, trust me.

We have a great group here as well as a ton of good reading and a whole video section about our addiction so check out some of those too.

You can do it Chris so believe in yourself 🤗

• Like 5

Welcome Cris ..

You think you love smoking ,because your a Nicotine addict ...it's that simple ...

Congratulations on wanting to free yourself ...

Where do you start ....

On our Main Smoking Discussion Board..you will find threads pinned with a green square ..

This will lead you to tons of information ....

The good news ..you are no more addicted to we all were ...Freedom is in your Reach ...

You just need to want it badly enough .!!!!!

• Like 5

You've already taken the first step Chris, deciding to quit! Coming here for knowledge and support is also another huge step forward. You will need both of those things once you quit. It's amazing the effect hanging out with other quitter's has on your own quit. Read all you can here, as others have suggested. Understanding how nicotine addiction works to keep us smoking is key to fighting that and staying off the smokes for good.

Hope you stick around and follow through with your wish to free yourself. You couldn't have come to a better place 😉 

• Like 6

Seeking education about nicotine addiction and support from other quitters is a great way to start.  I had a number of short quit attempts until I found a quit smoking online support group similar to this.  Stick around and read about the addiction.  Reach out if you need help.

Also, I will not get into whether or not you "love smoking."  I'll just say that I thought I loved it too but once I started seeing benefits to quitting, I began to realize that I just kept craving that next nicotine fix because I was addicted to it, like Doreen said above.  I thought I found smoking enjoyable back then but I definitely find nothing appealing about it now.

It is great that you want to quit.  Quitting is very doable, as the other members of this board can attest.  Quitting for good is a truly great thing.

• Like 5

Welcome Chris,

You have just decided to be a non smoker, Congratulations. Find yourself a seat and enjoy the ride. There's a lot of helpful articles and videos here to help you in your quit. We are all here for you as well to help support you all the way. All that remains for you to commit to quitting. You got his Chris.

• Like 4

Welcome aboard Chris.

How to start a quit...you ash out that last cigarette and commit to never smoking another one.

The process of quitting is challenging, but the process could not be more simple.  You don't have to do anything.  You simply refrain from smoking.

This simple process will not only set you free from nicotine addiction, but will have a positive impact on many aspects of your life.  You have made a great decision for yourself.

Buckle up, knuckle down, and drive on.

• Like 6

Hello Chris,

There's a lot of great advices already posted above so I don't need to add anything else, just want to reiterate a very essential point in quit smoking: "Education"!

On 10/3/2020 at 12:04 AM, Chris W. said:

... I still love to smoke ...

Educate yourself to understand that you don't really "love" to smoke, you're just addicted to Nicotine.  Once you have a full understanding, you will no longer "love" to smoke, and will be able to quit much easier.

How are you doing?  Post, update, ask questions, we're all here to help.

Welcome to Quit Train.

John

• Like 4

Most smokers are afraid that they will succeed in quitting cigarettes.  They hate the thought of change.  It's scary to do something you haven't done for years.  So my advice is - don't be afraid.   The nicotine addiction can be overcome, quitting won't kill you.  Will you be uncomfortable - yes, but your attitude and understanding will help make it less so.  Your body can heal from the damage smoking has done to it.  Believe the people here when we try to help you succeed.

• Like 4