Hello

Oona

Thank you for the add! I need you and your site. I quit on 8/27 for the umpteenth time but this time with Chantix...which surprisingly helps. It’s still very very hard. I’d like a safe place to vent and find others that are struggling too because no one else really understands. Ugh. I really enjoyed smoking. There! I said it. That is my main weakness. 

• Like 6

Welcome to our train full of quitters oona and congratulations on taking your life back 😊 I did chantix too on one of my quits and it worked great for three weeks so I quit taking it and I instantly relapsed. So I suggest staying on it for the recommended duration, three months I think. Plus the dreams are awesome lol.

You'll have all the support you can ask for here as well as great topics about our addiction. We even have a forum full of videos if you rather watch than read 😊

14 minutes ago, Oona said:

I really enjoyed smoking. There! I said it. 

We all thought we did too until we accepted the fact that we're addicted to it and we just need our fix....

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Welcome aboard, @Oona

First off, you are doing a truly great thing by quitting smoking.  I cannot give you advice on Chantix as I did not quit that way but there are a number of people here on this site who did quit successfully with Chantix.  I am sure they can give you much better insight about it.  Regardless, you are doing a great thing in quitting, regardless of method.

20 minutes ago, Oona said:

It’s still very very hard. I’d like a safe place to vent and find others that are struggling too because no one else really understands.

This is definitely a safe place to vent.  Feel free to post about anything you are struggling with.  Post all you want.  We have all gone through what you are experiencing and yes, quitting is very doable.....and it is worth the early struggles.  Post away, we will respond.

20 minutes ago, Oona said:

Ugh. I really enjoyed smoking. There! I said it. That is my main weakness. 

Like you, I had multiple attempts at quit smoking.  I also felt that I really enjoyed smoking.  I'm not going to argue or suggest that you don't enjoy it (everyone is different) but, with time in my quit, smoking did lose a lot of its appeal and now I find it disgusting.  I have heard many others go through the same thing where they felt they loved smoking and grew to hate it as their quit progressed.

You are doing a great thing in quitting. 

Edited by johnny5
  • Like 7

Hi Oona & welcome to our quit train :) 

Most of us thought we liked smoking as well but slowly, as we educated ourselves more and more about nicotine addiction once we had quit, we realized that we were just addicts. Smoking needed us - not the other way around. You see, addiction can't continue to live and thrive without us feeding it. 

You've got a pretty nice start to your quit. I recommend you spend as much time here with us reading other posts and watching some of the videos as well when you can relate to one of the video's subjects. Knowledge is power and will see you through to life long freedom!

Hope you stick around. You won't regret it!

• Like 6

Welcome aboard Oona.  Good call on giving up the smokes.

I used to enjoy smoking...at least that's what I told myself.  Then I found something better: not smoking.

Quitting smoking will reward you many times over and be worth every bit of the effort.

• Like 7

Welcome aboard, @Oona! You have come to the right place...read all you can here about nicotine addiction and watch the Joel videos. Knowledge is power and will help you immensely as your quit continues. Vent away if necessary!

Congrats on your almost 3 1/2 week quit! 🎉😷

• Like 7

Welcome to the train oona. You will come to love being a non smoker. Back in the day I thought I enjoyed smoking too, never went anywhere without my pack!! Truth was I didn’t really like smoking, and many times I would light up and think. I don’t really want this, or force myself to smoke with a sore throat, and curse because it hurt my throat even more!!! Did I really love it? Now I have learnt that I smoked because I needed to get my nicotine levels up because I was addicted.
Take it one day at a time, and you will soon love your new smokefree life.

All the best to you.

• Like 5

Welcome, Oona! Congratulations on quitting smoking! I too loved to smoke on most days until I had smoked long enough to start hating it.  I tried quitting several times but never made it very long.  Then I watched my mom die of smoking.  COPD.  I don't want that in my future and am now 8 months quit. This forum provides lots of support and information.  I highly recommend Joel Spitzer's videos as mini counseling sessions.  Also, playing the games can keep your mind busy if you just want a distraction.  Hooray for Oona! Life is beautiful without nicotine. You'll remember.  You'll see!

• Like 4

On 9/19/2020 at 5:31 PM, reciprocity said:

...Most of us thought we liked smoking as well but slowly, as we educated ourselves more and more about nicotine addiction once we had quit, we realized that we were just addicts....

...Knowledge is power and will see you through to life long freedom!...

Hope you stick around. You won't regret it!

I used to think I enjoyed smoking too, until I learned the truth about this nasty addiction.  

Reci really hit the nail on the head here with "Knowledge is power", once I realized that I was feeding the "addiction" and not really enjoyed smoking, I was able to kick it in the butt!

Welcome @Oona , please educate yourself about the addiction and you will enjoy the ride to freedom!

• Like 3