Complacency is not wise

Kate18

This afternoon, I took my dog, Sofia, on a walk through the park. Along the path we met a man with two small dogs who were straining aggressively at their leashes. Their owner was smoking a cigarette, deftly talking with me with it between his lips, the cigarette bobbing up and down as he talked, and the ash dropping to the ground. Terrible to admit, but the thought crossed my mind, "wonder if he has a cigarette to spare?" Sofia and I passed on after a brief meet and greet with his dogs, and I was left to ponder how I could think about smoking. 

Will I ever have no thoughts of smoking? I would never have asked him for a smoke. But it's a bit perturbing to have even thought about asking someone if they had a spare cigarette. I would have not smoked. No, it's not troubling, only a puzzle that the thought crossed my mind. I don't feel a pull of addiction. Just the oddity that asking someone for a cigarette would even cross my mind.

• Like 5

You smoked a long time Kate ....

Of course it's normal to have thoughts ....it's what you do with those thoughts that count.....

I think of smoking sometimes ....how horrible it would be ...choking myself ....

The longer you go Sweetheart....the thought will change ..Trust me ....

• Like 6

"Always vigilant" another motto for the addict...I still have dumb ass thoughts. Not for smoking, but other vices in my life. I'm lucky to be able to laugh at myself.

Good for you to recognize it for what it is...a passing thought, a smoky memory. Not a command, not a "craving", just a reminder of a life you once lived but have moved on from.

I hope you reward yourself for this big step in your recovery! 🎉 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Kate18 said:

This afternoon, I took my dog, Sofia, on a walk through the park. Along the path we met a man with two small dogs who were straining aggressively at their leashes. Their owner was smoking a cigarette, deftly talking with me with it between his lips, the cigarette bobbing up and down as he talked, and the ash dropping to the ground. Terrible to admit, but the thought crossed my mind, "wonder if he has a cigarette to spare?" Sofia and I passed on after a brief meet and greet with his dogs, and I was left to ponder how I could think about smoking. 

Will I ever have no thoughts of smoking? I would never have asked him for a smoke. But it's a bit perturbing to have even thought about asking someone if they had a spare cigarette. I would have not smoked. No, it's not troubling, only a puzzle that the thought crossed my mind. I don't feel a pull of addiction. Just the oddity that asking someone for a cigarette would even cross my mind.

6-8  months in was a really rough time for me. You can get through it though. There are times where it is going to pop into your head and then it will just pop right back out. All you have to say to yourself is "I am not a smoker", it really does get that simple. 

• Like 7

You're coming up to 7 months quit Kate. so you still have some strong remembrance of smoking in certain situations. Unexpectedly a seeminly strong urge to "have one" pops into your head. It's completely normal and happens to us all. That's what the 1 year pledge is for - to make sure you get past all those unplanned situations where your brain goes immediately to smoking, even though you may be surprised that it does this far into your quit. Remember .... every situation like this that you face and end up dismissing is another WIN for you :)  One more notch in your quit belt Kate.

Soon, there'll be no more complete surprises, just vague memories of smoking for which we all have to remain vigilant but by then, it's pretty easy :) 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Hey Kate, 

I have the occasional thought of having a cigarette as well. Then I say to myself that I'm a non smoker now so that's not going to happen. Then I move on to other happier thoughts that don't involve smoking. There is nothing wrong with the occasional thought of smoking as long as you don't act on the junkie cravings. We are stronger than the addiction.

• Like 5

Hi Kate!

Random thoughts are also part of the old habit.  I remember asking random people if they have an extra smoke if they happen to be smoking and I happen to not have any in me, especially when I was much younger. 

I get random thoughts and sometimes little craves, but they come and go within seconds and don't really worry me. If I start to dwell, I remind myself what it would mean to smoke another 10,000 cigarettes and that pits an end to it.

Nearly 8 months in, the thoughts are getting fewer and fewer, and farther in between.  Don't worry.

• Like 7

Eventually, you'll wake up one day and realize you haven't thought about a cigarette for a week (or more). You'll smell it and be ashamed that you ever put that junk in your lungs.

When you come across a situation where you see someone smoking like that, take a super deep breath (deeper than you ever could when you smoked) and know that you made the right choice. Maybe use that opportunity to brag (or even preach a little bit) to the guy about quitting. :)

I also used to wonder if I'd ever stop thinking about them. Now, it's such a distant memory that I can hardly believe I ever smoked and sometimes even forget that I did.

Stick with it. You're doing it right!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 9/10/2020 at 1:30 AM, Kate18 said:

... I would have not smoked...

This is all that matters.

I was at a backyard BBQ during the long weekend, I saw a couple of friend in a group of men at 1 corner of the yard so I went over and joined them.  One guy pulled out a pack of cig, and the thought immediately crossed my mind.  He saw me looking at the pack so he offered me one but I immediately replied "No thanks, I'm good". 

I noticed how some people tried to finish their dinner quickly so they can smoke, and I felt sorry for them because that was me not too long ago, all my activities used to revolve around the next cigarette, pathetic!

Kate, I wouldn't worry about having the smoking thought, it's from almost 40 years of the addiction.  I don't mind the thought because I know I won't smoke, I love my freedom from Nicotine!  I'm FREE!

free.gif

Edited by JohnQ
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, JimHannoonen said:

I also used to wonder if I'd ever stop thinking about them. Now, it's such a distant memory that I can hardly believe I ever smoked and sometimes even forget that I did.

Way cool, Jim! Hopefully that means you have no lasting damage!

• Like 4