Clearing throat

Bope

Hello everyone, let me tell you, since the second week I suffered from daily throat clearing for 3 weeks, and I still suffer from it, also from post nasal drip, everything appeared when I stopped smoking, someone who has gone through the same, how long suffered it? it's maddening

Welcome Bope and congratulations on almost a month quit 😊 Clearing your throat is a good thing. That means your lungs are working hard at cleaning all the gunk we put in them by smoking. Or it could be allergies. We're not Drs here so if it's particularly troublesome it never hurts to see about a Dr visit. Plus you get all kinds of pats on the back for quitting. 

That being said, I had that for probably a couple of months.

• Like 1

Quit symptoms such as you describe can last longer or shorter periods of time from person to person. Your lungs have a lot of clearing out to do. If it continues for some time, see your Doc, as Jillar suggested. Doesn't hurt to rule out other issues that may need medical attention.

Welcome to Quit Train by the way! Congrats on a great start to your quit :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Welcome bope,

Congratulations on your quit. I was clearling my throat on a regular basis for the first 2 months. Then slowly it started decreasing in regularity. I did not experience any post nasal drip so I can't help you there. Like there others have said, everyone's quit is different. So, if these things continue and your uncomfortable with it just go see your doctor. If never hurts to get a professional opinion. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello and welcome Aboard...

Any concerns about your health ,you must seek Doctors advice ...

We put in to our bodies for decades hundreds of poison,s ...20,30,40,even more times a day ....

It takes time to heal ....be patient ....you will be experiencing changes for a while ....

Your body is getting rid of all the crap....

Congratulations on your great quit ....stay close ....

• Like 2

The full story is like this, I quit smoking in March for fear of covid, a week later I began to clear my throat, I never had a cough, I managed to go 2 months without smoking but the clearance did not go away, I decided to smoke again to see if It disappeared, I smoked 3 or 4 cigarettes a day for 3 days then I left it for a week, then I went back to smoking 1 or 2 a day, then I stopped, I have been like this for 2 months, I only smoked out of desperation to get rid of that tickle in my throat, I went from 40 cigarettes a day to 0 in 24 hours, I think it was a mistake, I have lived like this for the last 6 months, it has been horrible ... now I am decided not to smoke permanently, I am with a treatment for post nasal drip , and according to the otolaryngologist I also have reflux, never suffered from the flu while smoking, any advice apart from patience?

Bope, I never had a cough after quitting either and did a lot of throat clearing too. Smoking damages the cilia in our lungs so when you go back to smoking you again paralyze and kill the cilia so you're constantly in a loop. 

Patience IS what it's going to take. Smoking will only prolong it even further and that you were at 40 cigarettes I imagine it's going to take a while for your lungs to clear.

• Like 2

Have to agree ...

While you still smoke in and off...your giving enough time for things to heal....

I didn't have a cough either or coughed up after quitting ,and j smoked 52years....

Everyone is different ,we all heal different ..

Take your seat here ...read all...watch all the videos ....Knowledge will be your weapon to fight with ...

Be patient.....time is a great healer ...

• Like 2

Bope we have some great Newbies you can ride along with....

We are here if you need us for anything ...

Post often ,join in ...post in our daily NOPE ...this is a great tool ...it's a promise you won't smoke for the next 24 hours ...you'll be surprised how quick the days pass by ..

• Like 2

Welcome Bope.  I am so glad you have quit smoking.  This is a great place for support and advice.  I know I had those symptons, in the beginning of my quit,  but it did not last that long.

Be patient while your body is healing.  

hooray-your-here-welcome-to-team-awesome.jpg

• Like 2