Relapsed again

Linda

On 9/6/2020 at 6:00 PM, Linda said:

...I've worked in the medical field and know the damage it does

I just want to put in my opinion on this. Scaring a smoker into quitting doesn't work.

I remembered several years ago I wanted to quit for good so I tried to scare myself by looking at the quit smoking TV Ads, and videos that shows all horrible illness from smoking, the damaged lungs, the people dying from smoking diseases with tubes hanging out from their noses, their throat, the hole in the neck, they could hardly breath but still tried to plead to smokers to quit before it's too late.  I wasn't able to quit long, eventually I chose to ignore it, to convince myself that it doesn't happen to everyone, I convinced myself to exercise to offset the smoking, etc.  Like every addict, I lied to myself so I could smoke again.

Most (or almost every) smokers know smoking is extremely bad for their health, they know the damages that smoking can do to their body, but they still choose to ignore it, simply because they don't understand the Nicotine addiction and they're powerless against it.  I believe the education about the Nicotine addiction is most beneficial key to quit smoking, it has been helping me tremendously.  After 3 months, I know I no longer have any actual withdrawal, I understand that any "cravings" I have now are just mental so I can get by them much easier than before, I know now that smoking doesn't help to relax, doesn't help to concentrate, doesn't help ANYTHING period.  And I no longer want to be slaved to the Nicotine addiction. 

The knowledge from educating myself about the addiction helped me quit, but knowledge about health damage didn't.  Just my 2 cents.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, JohnQ said:

I just want to put in my opinion on this. Scaring a smoker into quitting doesn't work.

I remembered several years ago I wanted to quit for good so I tried to scare myself by looking at the quit smoking TV Ads, and videos that shows all horrible illness from smoking, the damaged lungs, the people dying from smoking diseases with tubes hanging out from their noses, their throat, the hole in the neck, they could hardly breath but still tried to plead to smokers to quit before it's too late.  I wasn't able to quit long, eventually I chose to ignore it, to convince myself that it doesn't happen to everyone, I convinced myself to exercise to offset the smoking, etc.  Like every addict, I lied to myself so I could smoke again.

Most (or almost every) smokers know smoking is extremely bad for their health, they know the damages that smoking can do to their body, but they still choose to ignore it, simply because they don't understand the Nicotine addiction and they're powerless against it.  I believe the education about the Nicotine addiction is most beneficial key to quit smoking, it has been helping me tremendously.  After 3 months, I know I no longer have any actual withdrawal, I understand that any "cravings" I have now are just mental so I can get by them much easier than before, I know now that smoking doesn't help to relax, doesn't help to concentrate, doesn't help ANYTHING period.  And I no longer want to be slaved to the Nicotine addiction. 

The knowledge from educating myself about the addiction helped me quit, but knowledge about health damage didn't.  Just my 2 cents.

^^^^ Yeah this. He get's it!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

When I quit smoking two years ago, I was totally anxious and had a lurking depression. Anxiety, panick attacks, depression, they all came along in different ways, without a pattern. It scared the sh*t out of me, because Id been dealing with that for way too long already.  Some periods were obviously better than others.  As much as I felt that I wasnt up for the task, I knew I had to make it worthwhile somehow. I had to hold on to something that, at times, I had no vision of, no image in my mind. Because my mind was busy with fighting itself.

So, clinging to that one goal AND educating myself like crazy was all I had. I made quitting the One Most Super Important thing of every minute, hour, day. And kept doing that. And again and again and again. Until I was so sick of myself being occupied with that all the time.. and then gradually quitting became less of a deal. The rest is history! Your addict brain probably wont believe it, but I am free of depression and I dont remember when I last had that crippling anxiety. I am doing fine and dont miss smoking one bit. 

So. Bring your selfpity to a halt and breath. Be gentle on yourself, but loyal to your desire to quit. Create something for yourself, build on that quit and try to stay in touch with yourself, right through the mess in your head. Go to your doctor when you need too, or a friend, or maybe a quit buddy on the Qtrain. The possibilities are endless really. 

tumblr_mnrwtxCQln1s24al1o1_250.jpg

Edited by MLMR
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mac#23 said:

You see, us newbies get it?

👍

I still think of myself as a newbie most of the time. Just a newbie who doesn't think about smoking anymore :) 

I look back at being a newbie as sort of that saying in the book I had to read in school: It was the best of times; it was the worst of times. I don't know cuz I probably flunked all those classes anyway but being a newbie is where it's at as far as I'm concerned.  Highs and lows, that's where the excitement is!

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 5

On 9/6/2020 at 1:52 PM, Linda said:

Well I did it again. Have not posted any in the last few days, that is because I broke down and bought cigarettes. Tired of the struggling and I don't even know why. I can not make it to a month. I didn't even want to post because I have had such good support and advice, so really ashamed to admit this. Feeling pretty weak. So it just sucks. So I had my last smoke a noon today.  Trying to figure out if I have another try in me

Yup, you have another try in you. How do I know this without knowing you? Because I may be the queen of having made many stops (won't say quits, since I started in again), then started in again, but later made another stab at it. Now six months in. It is possible. Never quit on yourself, only quit on the cigarettes. Find your strong, overwhelming "why." It's the game changer. Lists of reasons may not do it. People who love you may not do it. But somewhere, there is a reason to quit. Your reason to quit. For me, it was knowing that if I caught the virus, I'd die and my kids would be devastated. Find your overwhelming "why,"  and the impossible becomes possible.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Every smoker does know the risks ....but its a case of ...It Won't Happen To Me.....

Or Wait until you get a sign all is not good then quit out of sheer fear ...

There's nothing like a big dollap of Fear to help you along ....

My hubby had COPD/Emphysema... I watched him suffer and get worse and worse ....

Did that stop me ....No ...

What stopped me was being told I was about to have my both feet amputated,if I didn't stop....

I wasn't even sure it was too late when I joined these good folks ...

Can you imagine that sinario....

Someone who needed a wheel chair because his lungs were failing ..had a partner who would also need a wheel chair due to no feet ....

Just imagine that situation ...

Linda you should be very frightened of the health issues ....

Don't wait till it's too late ....

I was lucky ...in fact very lucky .... unfortunately Hubby wasn't ......

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

5 hours ago, Doreensfree said:

...Don't wait till it's too late ....

I was lucky ...in fact very lucky .... unfortunately Hubby wasn't ......

Thanks for sharing your story Doreen, and I'm very sorry to hear about your husband.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, JohnQ said:

Thanks for sharing your story Doreen, and I'm very sorry to hear about your husband.

Thank you Dorrene for sharing your story and I am very sorry for the loss of your husband. I need to get back into the struggle again

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Linda said:

Not great I have not given up yet, but I have smoked. I need to get my mind back  on the quit train.

Don't EVER give up on quitting, even when you feel you need a break from the struggle because quitting will save you from even greater struggles with the quality of your life later on.

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 4

Hopefully you're going through our archives of information about our addiction. We also have a search function that you can use to find posts and videos for specific questions you have and if you can't find it ask the board. Chances are pretty 100% that someone has experienced something similar.

Another trick is to stop smoking in areas that you normally smoke so you won't instantly crave walking into them after you quit.

• Like 4

Welcome Terri and YES! There's many here who can help you with a whole array of things. Why not go to the "Introductions & About Us Page on the main board and make a post telling us about yourself and how you plan to quit (going cold turkey or using a quit aid?).

There are a ton of resources here to help you quit and lots of people more than willing to point you in the right direction to get those resources. There's a whole video page as well covering the subject of nicotine addiction and quitting. Knowledge Terri ; that's your key to quitting!

• Like 5