Since I can quit smoking...what else can I do?

Kate18

Today I was thinking about how I quit smoking after thinking for several years that it might be too difficult.

Now I am mulling over other goals that have seemed nigh impossible, like getting myself to run for three miles every day, or doing 20 push ups the real way (a guy-type push up, not the girly version).

Being successful at one tough goal is leading me to rethink what else I might be successful at that once didn't seem to be possible. 

Anybody else have this happen to them? Any successes?

(Making chocolate chip raspberry walnut brownies as I think this through)  :) 

Edited by Kate18
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, Kate18 said:

Being successful at one tough goal is leading me to rethink what else I might be successful at that once didn't seem to be possible. 

Congratulations Kate.  You've reached that stage of your quit where you are not only enjoying the benefits of being smoke-free but also realizing that you are capable of tackling other challenges.  This is an overlooked but highly rewarding aspect of the quitting process.

Positive changes in one aspect of your life will carryover into other aspects of your life.

It is always nice to see a fellow traveler reap the benefits of a quit well done.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

This is a great post Kate.

I started to re-evaluate other parts of my life after I really felt confident in having quit smoking for good.  Quitting smoking can definitely give you the strength to tackle other things you didn't think you could do when living under the dark cloud of addiction.

• Like 8

🙌🙌 You can do anything you set your mind to, Kate!! I started setting weird personal goals too. I got into doing planks. I would do three 3 minutes planks a day.  I try to compliment someone every day.

I also want to try to start running outside...but I'm not good at running so...🤷 we'll see how that goes. 

Quitting smoking changed my life. It is the single best thing I have ever done.  I'm so happy you're feeling it too! Get out there girl, do something new!! 

(Sadly wishing my black bean spinach salad was raspberry everything brownies 😍)

Edited by c9jane29
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

On 9/4/2020 at 3:32 PM, c9jane29 said:

🙌🙌  I got into doing planks. I would do three 3 minutes planks a day.  I try to compliment someone every day.

Ouuuh, planks, now that's a really good one to add to my goal chart. Before my gym went bankrupt and closed for good (darn virus), I could only do a 45 second plank, but I loved trying. I like this idea. Three minutes is serious.  :) 

I also like the complimenting idea. I work as a cashier, and strive to have each customer leave my check stand a bit happier than when they first stepped up.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Kate18 said:

I could only do a 45 second plank

I googled plank challenge...I could only hold 20-30 seconds at a time when I started, but I heard a quote that said "Hang on 10 seconds longer after you want to quit" (I love a good motto) so that's what I started doing! I found songs that were right around that 3 min mark so I wasn't watching the clock. That helped mins fly by. After I could hold the standard planks with no shaking, I added in the side arm planks...those were the real challenge!! I tried to do the 100 squat challenge too but...well, no butt😂

I like that you care as a cashier...I think as a smokers we make up the idea that we are anti-social, but in truth, we just smelled bad and were constantly in withdrawal if we weren't smoking. 

I never tried to be nice to people. Now, I want to be nice. I homeschool so I can go days at a time and only see my kids, but I make sure to tell them every day how awesome they are. I can see it rubbing off on them. My little one, he's 4, told an older lady at the store (she had short curly hair) "I like your hair, it goes Voomp! Voomp!" She giggled and laughed...they were best friends but the time we left. 😁  Those are the habits I want them to pick up from me.

Lets us know how those planks get on!!💪

Edited by c9jane29
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1