Discouraged

Linda

I  am having a real struggle with not smoking. I know it takes time and can't be done overnight. But I thought maybe I would feel a little better. Not true!!!  In fact I feel worse . Depressed about everything in my life right now. 

Sorry to hear you are struggling at the moment Linda. It is hard going the first few weeks, and of course you miss it, is only natural when its something that has been a big part of your life for years. I found it difficult at first too, as I,m sure most on here have, and depression and loneliness played a big part in my early quit.

Please keep going, its the only way to get to that good feeling about yourself and life, and honestly it will come, as long as you stay determined.

Treat yourself to something nice, something you wanted to buy, but said you couldnt afford. I did that and then thought, well I cant smoke now, I couldnt  afford to smoke and have the expensive item. Eat something nice and tasty to lift your mood. Go for a walk, anything to stop you moping and thinking about it.

Dont give up, you are doing so well, even if you think you are'nt.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, catlover said:

Sorry to hear you are struggling at the moment Linda. It is hard going the first few weeks, and of course you miss it, is only natural when its something that has been a big part of your life for years. I found it difficult at first too, as I,m sure most on here have, and depression and loneliness played a big part in my early quit.

Please keep going, its the only way to get to that good feeling about yourself and life, and honestly it will come, as long as you stay determined.

Treat yourself to something nice, something you wanted to buy, but said you couldnt afford. I did that and then thought, well I cant smoke now, I couldnt  afford to smoke and have the expensive item. Eat something nice and tasty to lift your mood. Go for a walk, anything to stop you moping and thinking about it.

Dont give up, you are doing so well, even if you think you are'nt.

Thank you  I'm trying

• Like 6

Nicotine patches are keeping your body in a state of constant withdrawal.

You cannot expect the benefits of being nicotine free to kick in until your NRT program is completed

and you no longer administer nicotine to your body.

Please consult a health professional about your depression, 

you needn't feel the burden of depression while you are starting your journey to freedom.

Why Am I Still Experiencing Nicotine Withdrawals

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Linda said:

Depressed about everything in my life right now. 

Linda, concentrate on the fact that your are improving your life not destroying it.  I think it might help to share your feelings with your physician.  I am sure they might be able to prescribe something that would help.  Know that you think you are grieving the loss of a friend but in actuallity, you are getting rid of the enemy.  You are still in the early stages of your quit.  I promise every day will get better.  I am so proud of you for posting your true feelings.  Sometimes, one of us can say the right thing that gives you the strength to make it through one more day!  You can do this.  Keep that quit going!  

• Like 6

Others have given you some great suggestions on how to get your mind off what's going on in your head and body at the moment. All that will settle down in time but you MUST keep going no matter how challenging it seems. You are a long way down the road to improving your future in so many ways. You can't give that up now - you just can't. That would be cheating yourself out of a healthier, happier future and you deserve better than that. Keep going Linda! You'll make it :) 

• Like 6

You're doing so good Linda. Hang in there because you deserve to be a happier and healthier version of yourself. You just need something else to occupy your time so as to not dwell on the thought of quitting. This will help alleviate some of the anxiety brought about from cravings and junkie mentality. You have a young 3 week quit that can easily be a 3 year quit. You just need to stay strong. One day at a time.

• Like 4

Your post makes me think back on how impatient I was for life to return to "normal" when I first quit. I had a friend at work who quit 2 years before I did. Nearly every day I would go to his office and ask, "When are these cravings going to disappear? When will I go a whole day without even thinking about a cigarette?"  I followed this routine for months with the thought that surely I should be over it by now.

The truth is that it takes a long time for your body and mind to adapt to a new life without the thousands of harmful and addictive chemicals you've been feeding it for years (maybe even decades?). It takes a lot of faith and determination, but eventually you will get to that new normal.  And I really want to emphasis this part: IT IS SO WORTH ANY AMOUNT OF TIME AND AGGRAVATION TO ACHIEVE FREEDOM.

Hang in there.  You can do it Linda.

• Like 7

Hi Linda,

As a lot of people suggested above, occupy yourself with something to do.  Keep busy, do something to get you mind off it, it will go away.

I've been dealing with a lot of personal issues myself in the last few months, but I know smoking doesn't help, as a matter of fact I know that I would feel much worse if I had relapsed.  I can assure you that you will feel much better about yourself once the "mental" craving and this temporary depression is over.  

Stay close to his board, you'll get through it,  you can do this. 

• Like 6

This is what you told Up In Smoke a few days back:

"fight the monster, I have been there and I did cave and threw away my almost month quit. I felt terrible and angry at myself and had to start all over again.It was not worth it.Hang in there. Carving will not make you feel better it will make you feel worse. Trust me !!!"

You were so right and now it's time to follow your advice.  Just hang in there Linda.  It will get so much better!

• Like 8

You've been given great advice Linda and I'm going to echo the fact that it does get so much better but only if you keep your quit! Depression or anxiety happens to a lot of us as our body gets adjusted to operating without nicotine. If it's especially troublesome talk to your dr. Tell them you've quit. A lot of times they can prescribe a temporary aid to help you.

Don't lose that awesome 21 days you've put in, you can do it. We're all proof of that 🤗

• Like 6

Linda, Hang in there!  I'm only on Day 8 of my quit, and I have times when I feel very uncomfortable and depressed trying to navigate through feelings that come up that I can't just puff away anymore.  Stay focused on the positive--you are no longer harming yourself with cigs (I don't know about you, but I used to smoke even when I was sick--how depressing it that?)  My hair smells really nice now, I can breathe easier, I have the peace of mind that I am not sucking the life out of myself with cigarettes, I have more energy, I dont have to worry about getting stains on my teeth....think of how depressing smoking truly is and focus on all the wonderful positives you are doing for yourself by sticking with your quit.  You are giving yourself the greatest gift of freedom and health!  If you need to vent or talk, we are all here to support you.  Don't give up.  You already have 3 weeks quit--that is wonderful...I wish I was that far along!

• Like 7