First day hoping i will make it

jpassmore

Hi This is my first day trying to quit im using the cutting down method I have reduced my cigartettes down by half today and will be doing so each day for the next few days to I am at zero. If anybody has some advice or tips it would be greatly appreciated.

kind regards

• Like 1

My advice is to quit smoking today.

Cold turkey.

In three days nicotine will be gone from your body

and you can start to learn new patterns that won't involve killing yourself.

Please start learning about your  nicotine addiction

If you want to torture yourself, continue with your plan

• Like 6

Welcome aboard jpassmore and congratulations on deciding to take your freedom back! The first bit of advice I'd like to give you is that cutting down doesn't work. Trust me, most of us have tried that in the past and all it really means is that you're not quite ready to quit. 

The best thing you can do is just quit. I know it's a scary thought to just do it but it sure beats all the build up of cutting down and the stress leading up to that day in the future that'll hopefully come. I'd love for you to prove me wrong though 😊

So since you are cutting down, I would suggest to stop smoking in the areas you normally smoked. This will help disassociate those places with smoking so that when you go in them as a quitter you don't instantly crave.

• Like 3

Welcome jpassmore :) 

Yeah, sorry j but the cutting back method just doesn't work. I think we've all been there and found that you just end up making excuses to smoke "just one more". What you need to do is decide on a quit plan that suits you. Whether that be Cold Turkey or using NRT products or a prescription medication such as champix or the like. Every one is different and requires different support but the one universal thing is that once you quit, you must adhere to NOPE! That stands for Not One Puff Ever! There's not short cuts, no avoiding the struggles of changing your daily life to become a nonsmoker but .... it's very doable and this place is the right place for you to be. You'll get all the support you need here from people who have walked the same path you are considering walking now. You'll never be alone in your journey!

• Like 5

Welcome jpassmore,

You have joined the best place for support when quitting smoking. I agree with the others that the cut down method doesn't work. All it really does is help you prolong something you are not ready to do. You need to commit to it 100%. It doesn't matter which method you choose, whether the patch, cold turkey or chantix. This comes down to you wanting to be a much healthier and happier version of yourself. So, when you have finally committed and ready to quit just jump on the train. Check out all the videos and articles here to educate you on this addiction and how to beat the nicotine monster. We are here for you no matter what you might need for a successful quit.

• Like 6

Hello and Welcome ...Glad you found us ...

Have to agree with all the above ...In my 52 year Smoking Career,I tried to quit so many times ,I lost count .

What made this Quit different ....I put my whole self in 100%.....

All cutting down will do is ...Keep the Addiction Alive ...You will be in turmoil waiting and clock watching for the next fix .

I know because I've been there ...many times ...

There is only one way to Quit ....Never Take Another Puff Ever.....

We have so much great information here ,spend time reading ....and watching the video,s...

Knowledge will be your weapon ...

You can do it ...you just have to want it bad enough !!!

• Like 6

Welcome jpassmore!  I am so glad you found us.  I also think it is best just to "bite the bullet" and just quit.  The sooner you get the nicotine out of your system, the easier it will be to travel this journey.  The key to quitting is retraining your thoughts.  There is plenty of imformation here to help you do that.  Stay close to the forum, play some games and get to know us.  We want to help you find the freedom you truly want.  

• Like 5

12 hours ago, reciprocity said:

... Yeah, sorry j but the cutting back method just doesn't work. I think we've all been there and found that you just end up making excuses to smoke "just one more". What you need to do is decide on a quit plan that suits you...

Welcome @jpassmore

I totally agreed with Reci.  I tried cutting back before I understand the addiction and it did not work, I can almost be certain that it won't work.  Allan Carr explained it very well, cutting back is actually more dangerous, it just gives you an illusion that you enjoy smoking because the cravings from Nicotine withdrawal is stronger between each smoke when you cut back.

The best thing to quit is to educate yourself about the Nicotine addiction, pick a quit plan and stick with it.  The more you understand about Nicotine addiction and withdrawal, the easier it is to get over the cravings and stay quit. 

Education and NOPE will help you quit successfully.

• Like 6

Why dip a toe when it's easier just to jump right in?

I tried the "cut down" method before...hated it and had no success with it.

The folks above me in this thread know what they're talking about.  When you get good advice, take it.

• Like 6

Hello jpassmore.

Welcome to Quit Train.  I look forward to sharing your success.

I, too, tried cutting down.  I went from a pack a day to half a pack and NRT for too long to recall.  I DO NOT recommend this.

I am now 5 months plus into my FREEDOM from nicotine and really have to laugh because all that rigamaroll in my head (smoking and patches, too hard to just quit, I have failed before, yada yada yada) was just more junkie lies and thinking form the addict brain.

Seriously, I am wildly glad that you have found this site and are beginning your journey to FREEDOM.  Grab a seat.  The ride can be great!

• Like 4

Cold turkey. You see the advice above this post, and they're right. 

Why do you want to quit? Your reason has to overwhelm your reasons (rationalizations) to smoke. You can do this. Keep searching for your overriding reason to be a nonsmoker. Then it is possible. Willpower comes from having a strong enough reason. Not other people's reasons, but your reasons. You can do this. What other people have done, you can do. I'm betting on you. 
:) 

• Like 3

First day of what? Still smoking, but not as much as you used to smoke?

You're fooling yourself with a half-assed commitment by "cutting back". You want to quit, but you don't really want to quit.

Make the decision. Make the commitment.

If you want to quit smoking, quit today. Quit forever.

• Like 2

jpassmore,  

My advice is to do it your own way.  You could succeed.  I certainly hope you make it.  

I did know a person who quit by cutting down till it he walked away from it.  

It's not impossible, merely...protracted.

However, if you run into difficulties with your plan I would ask that you reconsider the

advice provided in this thread.

I actually hope you succeed in your stratagem.  That would make two people I know

that managed it.

Good luck and post often.  We want to hear from you.

• Like 3