Newbie here

Midmale

7 hours ago, Midmale said:

Also I had quite a stressful family issue this week and albeit a fag came into my mind I soon dismissed it which is a good thing I reckon. 

You bet it's a good thing! Sorry about the family stress though, these are stressful times all over the world. Another reason to be proud of yourself for quitting 🤗

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

3 months today 🙂 Still hanging on there despite some touchy situations that normally would have me reaching for a cigarette. I do believe today that there isn't just one cigarette, or puff even, and in very short order I would be back to my usual smoking behaviour if I believe the lie that I can "just have one".

My apologies if I don't post here to often. There are folks here who do a far better job of sharing their experience and hope than I could just at this moment. I will though keep posting when I can and especially when I hit a target date if only to demonstrate to anyone who is struggling that if I can do it so can they 🙂.

Many many thanks for all your support and kind words.

• Like 10

Hi Midmale ....

Good to see you ....

Congratulations on your fabulous 3 months ...a Quarter of the way to the Lido Deck ....

I'm sure posting your wonderful achievements shows those who follow it's doable ....

Thank you for staying close ...

Ubna9Fb.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Midmale said:

3 months today 🙂 Still hanging on there despite some touchy situations that normally would have me reaching for a cigarette. I do believe today that there isn't just one cigarette, or puff even, and in very short order I would be back to my usual smoking behaviour if I believe the lie that I can "just have one".

Nice work Midmale.  Sorting through the lies we told ourselves and accepting the truths we didn't necessarily want to hear is a major part of the process.

Congratulations.  You are building a rock-solid quit for yourself.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well done Mick, I'm trailing right behind you (I quit August 15th). I can't imagine inhaling smoke into my lungs at this point, it seems kinda disgusting. I do still have cravings, they're not terrible but they're there and I still think about smoking more than I expected. I 'm still using patches though, down to the last couple. I've just read a post about alcohol, I enjoy a glass of wine at the weekend and I use an air cigarette occasionally, that gets me past any associative cravings but I hadn't touched it for over a week before last weekend and not since. I feel like I'm being propped up all over the place but I'm not smoking and I don't want to. That's worth a lot! I'm looking forward to 3 months smoke free. 

Shezi

• Like 5

Just keep going Shezi you'll make it 🙂 I've got the upmost respect for anyone who quits smoking...the psychological effect it has on you is incredible and it's that that I've struggled with the most. I'm a firm believer in doing what works so if you're on patches crack on I say...at least youre not putting all those harmful chemicals inside you. Best of luck 🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Shezi said:

Well done Mick, I'm trailing right behind you (I quit August 15th). I can't imagine inhaling smoke into my lungs at this point, it seems kinda disgusting. I do still have cravings, they're not terrible but they're there and I still think about smoking more than I expected. I 'm still using patches though, down to the last couple. I've just read a post about alcohol, I enjoy a glass of wine at the weekend and I use an air cigarette occasionally, that gets me past any associative cravings but I hadn't touched it for over a week before last weekend and not since. I feel like I'm being propped up all over the place but I'm not smoking and I don't want to. That's worth a lot! I'm looking forward to 3 months smoke free. 

Shezi

Whatever works to get you to Freedom !!!

Good to see you Shezi.....great going ....

• Like 2

Great job reaching 3 months. It's pretty normal at that point to still feel a little rocky at times but you've come a long way - you know the drill in terms of how your actions will determine your future quit. That quit will just keep maturing every day you remain smoke free - go celebrate in some way :) 

3.2.gif.d1b21ce237b78f76f973193271e4c4ae.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mick! I also quit smoking July 18, 2020. It’s been a long hard 3 months. We are close in age, I’m 60. I quit for 7 yrs 1993-1999. Started again for 21 years. I could not get myself to quit. Finally, I slapped 2 21mg nicotine patches on and said enough, I’m done smoking. I still wear 1 21mg patch and it works really well for the cravings!! I really do not feel comfortable without the patch and I won’t take any chances.

although I refuse to smoke again. Like you, I don’t like smelling it on myself or to others. The reek of tobacco smoke is considered “as bad as bad body odor”.

so remember that if you tempt to smoke again. And the cost!! I have started skydiving with a professional skydiving drop zone near Chicago. At $3000 to get my A license, I spent $3600 a year smoking. So it’s not such an expensive sport after all. I needed the assistance beginning freefall. The instructors are 2nd to none at this drop zone. And no, I’m not too old! I thought that at first, but I’ll keep at it until my body says I should not anymore. 
I have a granddaughter 4 1/2yrs old. I’m sorry she has had to smell that on me. But not now. And I don’t have to hide from her to smoke. 
keep at the quitting, you won’t be sorry.

only takes a puff to start again!

• Like 1

Welcome @Tjump and congratulations on your over three month quit, that's awesome! If you get a chance why not start an introduction thread of your own? We have lots of amazing quitters here at all stages of quitting to support you along your way 😊

• Like 1

Welcome Tjump!  Wow, anyone that can jump out of a plane can certainly quit smoking.  I was your age when I quit.  Never thought I could, until I found this forum.  They helped me realize I had the strength within me.  Hang around and get to know us.  I have a feelling you are a very interesting fellow.  Here, you can educate yourself, play some games and get to know the wonderful people here.

• Like 3

Welcome aboard Thump,

Congratulations on your quit. This is undeniably the best place to be when you quit smoking. There is a vast amount of people in various stages of their quits and they're all willing to help you with your quit. So, educate yourself with all the articles and videos because knowledge is power. Sit back and enjoy the ride to a happier and healthier life.

• Like 2