Newbie here

Midmale

3 hours ago, Midmale said:

I'm not claiming any of the credit here though, it's only the champix stopped me cos I knew it would do nothing for me. Pretty despondent at the mo I'm afraid. 

Midmale, there is nothing to be afraid of.  Fear should only be given to continuing on a path of self-destruction by continuing to smoke.   Give yourself credit.  You worked along with the Champix to achieve this goal.  Depression can be a part of quitting because you are letting go of the friend you thought smoking to be.  If you continue to feel down, talk to your physician.  He may be able to help treat that.  You will not always feel like this.  With each step along this journey, you will start to become much stronger.  You will be amazed at the person you will be.  Hang in there and shout out if you need help.  We are here to guide you.

• Like 6

Welcome Midmale,

Congratulations on your 6 week quit. You are doing all the right things in your quit. The main one being that you choose to be a non smoker and not take one more puff. The second was coming to this site for support. There are a lot of people here in all stages of their quits. Each and everyone of them will be glad to support you in any way they can. Plus, there is a lot of articles and videos to help educate you on this addiction. So, stay safe, make smart choices and always remember the Nope pledge ( not one puff ever).

• Like 5

Hi Midmale, keep digging those heels in and stay determined. Depression  is common in the early stages. I cried a lot and felt a deep sense of loss. As Mee says, it is like ending a relationship with a good friend, except that friend did'nt do you any favours at all.  Try and get through this any way you can, read up here, watch Joel Spitzer videos on here or youtube, they kept me going in the early days. I also found relaxing sleep music and hypnotherpy videos helped me to relax and keep focus.

6 weeks free from smoking is amazing, dont let these feelings stop your journey. They will pass and you will feel better than you have ever felt.

Say strong. 

• Like 5

Hi All

Well I'm still here, smoke free and a bit battered and bruised psychologically but a bit wiser too I hope.

I think I made the mistake of underestimating this addiction and complacency set in a little, ignoring triggers, feeling sorry for myself and not appreciating what I have etc. and I paid the price. I have decided to up my game, change my attitude and also to try and keep all this in the day and recognise and enjoy the small victories. I'm sure you have probably told me this anyway so forgive me for not paying attention 🙂 I seem to have to seriously suffer before I do anything about it but I'm doing my best to change that.

A wiser person than me said once that we only tend to change when were at the precipice of something, so I'm trying to open up my ears and mind  to what you people are telling me and applying it to me and my quit. Thank you all for your wisdom and advice. It means a helluva lot to me 👍

• Like 9

Hi M....

We have all been where you are ...I will find the thread Climbing the rope ,and put it on the Main Discussion Board.....

Listening to folks who have walked in our steps ...Learning from them ....and actually practicing the advice ..

This is how it's done ...

So this is how the magic happens my friend ..

Stick your butt on the Train seat ...and buckle up ....tight ....

Stay close ....very close ....

Read,watch and listen to everything ....

Take it day by day ....

Ask anything troubling you ....we have heard it all.....

Don't stick anything in your mouth ,and set fire to it ....ever ...

Follow these instructions...and you have cracked it ....

We are all glad your here.....we can get you there .....positive thoughts ...👍😀

• Like 6

You have had an epiffany Midmale and I'm glad you did because you could have just as easily gone the other way and lost all your hard work. Instead, you are now seeing things the way you should and the way successful quitters look at things. I feel you have really turned a corner here. Doesn't mean your struggles are over but looking at them with a new positivity will make a huge difference. Congratulations!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Don't be too hard on yourself Mick, there are lots of ups and downs.

Six weeks in is wonderful, but your quit is quite young.

Keep reading about the addiction, education is key on this journey.

Staying positive is very important to your mental health, so it's great that you are focusing on your attitude.

Be gentle with yourself....you got this!

• Like 5

Hi and good morning everyone 🙂

Many thanks for your words of wisdom. I'm feeling a lot more positive and focused today. I feel I had to go through that bad patch to come out the other side and feel a little bit more stronger and strengthen my resolve to kick this horrible addiction.

I've had a good read around all the great info on here and will continue to do so, knowledge is power in my book and I never go into a battle with an empty gun.

The more I learn about my enemy(addiction) the weaker it seems to get but I also realise I can never be complacent, but that's ok if it means I can live a free and happy life. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Midmale said:

The more I learn about my enemy(addiction) the weaker it seems

This is so important MIdmale.  Understanding your addiction lends way to conquering it.  You are doing awesome.  Keep that wonderful quit going!

Edited by Mee
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 8/31/2020 at 8:26 PM, beazel said:

Don't be too hard on yourself Mick, there are lots of ups and downs.

Sorry Mick.  Some of our members use quite the tawdry language because they're so passionate about quitting. Ooops!  I said "members". Moderators, please move this to the "Curse Thread".

But seriously, good job Mick. Keep that great quit going.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Hi and good morning all 🙂

Well its 7 weeks today..feels like forever but i have learnt a lot in what also seems a short time, work that one out 🙂 It impresses me cos I didnt think I could stay away from a smoke for 7 minutes! But i also know I can never be complacent.

Still getting about 3 cravings a day, sometimes more but they dont seemto last as long or be as intense. Thanks for your messages of support and good wishes. I do pop in here pretty much every day to remind myself and refocus so your support means a lot 🙂

• Like 7

Hey midmale, seven weeks is great! Congratulations 😊 If you want even more inspiration why not create a ticker for your signature? I loved watching all the time, money and cigs NOT smoked add up. Plus it showed me what I was going to lose it I caved to a crave!

https://www.quittrain.com/tickers/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You're doing just fine Midmale :) 

I would encourage you to stick around for awhile yet if only to read and reflect on quit smoking messages from others because ultimately, their thoughts and struggles surrounding quitting will help keep you focused on your own quit. It's good to keep quitting as your main focus in life for awhile yet.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, reciprocity said:

You're doing just fine Midmale :) 

I would encourage you to stick around for awhile yet if only to read and reflect on quit smoking messages from others because ultimately, their thoughts and struggles surrounding quitting will help keep you focused on your own quit. It's good to keep quitting as your main focus in life for awhile yet.

Very sound advice..ty reciprocity and I do intend on making this forum part of my recovery/quit.

I have already learnt so much from the wisdom and knowledge here, its allowed me to see my addiction from a different angle and other areas of my life also. It occured to me yesterday that for over 50 years I've had a stimulant or a sedative inside my body...its quite interesting to find out how my body now copes without any sort of crutch...so far so good anyway 🙂

Edited by Midmale
Spelling
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Midmale said:

Very sound advice..ty reciprocity and I do intend on making this forum part of my recovery/quit. I have already learnt so much from the wisdom and knowledge here, its allowed me to see my addiction from a different angle and other areas of my life also. I occured to me yesterday that for over 50 years I've had a stimulant or a sedative inside my body...its quite interesting to find out how my body now copes without any sort of crutch...so far so good anyway 🙂

Your body will be going through a lot of changes in the coming days and weeks. All of them for the good in the end. I think you'll be quite pleased with the end result. Drink lots of water in the early days of your quit. It will help flush toxins from your body :) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1