Newbie here

Midmale

Hi..names Mick and I stopped smoking on 19 July with the help of a stop smoking counsellor and champix. I'm 66 and just been blessed with a granddaughter, hence the reason I want to stop, amongst many others! I'm not gonna say it's been easy but its helped me to find out about my enemy, nicotine, and how to deal with it and the lies and tricks it plays on me. I've joined this forum cos I think the support you give will also help me. Anyway, thanks for having me here and I look forward to meeting you all. 

• Like 11

Welcome aboard Mick and congratulations on almost a month quit already, that's awesome 😊 You've come to the right place for support. We have a great group of members in all phases of quitting which was invaluable to me when I first quit. We also have a ton of educational threads and videos so be sure to have a look around at all our different forums. We even have a Social section to have some fun and help take your mind off smoking 😊

Congratulations on that grand baby, how great she'll never know you as a smoker 😊

• Like 7

Great job Mick; almost a month & yes .... the support from other quitters will help you because in the end, we are all the same - nicotine addicts and we all go through the same process in quitting so we do get it! Welcome aboard the Quit Train. Buckle up and enjoy the ride. You are making the most important and constructive change to your life that you can make :) 

If you like, go to the games page and jump in. No better way of getting to know people here that to play the same games others do 😉

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Midmale said:

Hi..names Mick and I stopped smoking on 19 July with the help of a stop smoking counsellor and champix. I'm 66 and just been blessed with a granddaughter, hence the reason I want to stop, amongst many others! I'm not gonna say it's been easy but its helped me to find out about my enemy, nicotine, and how to deal with it and the lies and tricks it plays on me. I've joined this forum cos I think the support you give will also help me. Anyway, thanks for having me here and I look forward to meeting you all. 

Congratulations on your quit Midmale, close to one month of Freedom for you !

Welcome to our merry little band of quitters.

You will find a lot of resources here about nicotine addiction,

this thread may help you navigate around and help you to build a sturdy, successful quit.

10 Ways To Effectively Use This Forum To Stop Using Nicotine

• Like 8

Welcome Mick.  This is a great place for encouragement and support in quitting smoking.  You definitely want to be around for every precious moment with your granddaughter.

She will be blessed with all the memories you will make for her.  One month smoke free is huge.  The first month is the toughest.  Keep moving forward and never look back.  You can do this!

hooray-your-here-welcome-to-team-awesome.jpg

• Like 8

Welcome aboard the train Mick,

The only price for your train ticket is to commit to being a non smoker. You I'll find some really great people here. Don't be afraid to lean on us for support. I see you have almost a month quit already. Congratulations on pushing through the toughest part of quitting. Now, just remain diligent with keeping the nicotine monster at Bay. You are stronger than the addiction. So, stay safe, make smart choices and always remember to use the Nope pledge ( not one puff ever).

• Like 5

Welcome aboard Mick....

Congratulations on your great quit ...well done .....

Glad you found us ....we have a loads of great info for you to go over ...and help you along ...

Take your seat ...this Train goes all the way to Freedom ....

• Like 5

Thank you for the kind reception. I know enough that I have to make this my priority at the moment. I have recently retired so the pressures of work are removed at least. I trust and believe in what you say that it gets better so I'm just trying to keep things in the day and adopt some patience 🙂

I also know that one cigarette would send me right back into the addiction and I'm determined for that not to happen, for today at least 

• Like 9

Great attitude to have  @Midmale. All you said is true - 1 day at a time. Focus on what is happening now and don't worry about later. You can deal with things as they come up and yes, patience is required. It's a marathon not a sprint but it IS doable with the right attitude and focus. You also have the only rule about quitting and staying quit nailed down ..... NOPE! Not One Puff Ever There's even a daily NOPE pledge page here where you can pledge NOPE to start your day if you like :) 

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 7

Welcome aboard Mick.

Congratulations on almost 1 month smoke free.  You are doing a great thing in quitting smoking. 

There is a lot of support and knowledge you can gain here so make yourself at home.

• Like 5

Welcome aboard the Quit Train Mick.  Congratulations on quitting smoking.

13 hours ago, Midmale said:

I also know that one cigarette would send me right back into the addiction and I'm determined for that not to happen, for today at least 

Day by day, brick by brick...that's how you build a quit that is built to last.

• Like 5

Welcome Aboard Mick!  And also congrats GrandPa!

On 8/15/2020 at 5:10 AM, Midmale said:

I also know that one cigarette would send me right back into the addiction ...

You've got it!  NOPE is the ONLY way!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again all

Still here and its 6 weeks tomorrow. Had some really strong euphoric recalls over the last few says, like cravings but more psychological if that makes sense. I felt like my brain was full of fog and I was feeling very flat emotionally. The only thing I did right was not take a puff 🙂 I have a feeling that it might be the champix so I'm gonna try going without it, I've not had any today and feel a lot stronger and more positive so see how it goes. Has anyone else had a similar experience to me? It would help to know and how you dealt with it. 

• Like 5

I was not using champix when I quit but I did experience what is often referred to as "brain fog"' shortly after I quit. It was just a feeling of being in a daze brain wise. Made it tough to focus on anything and get things done. Didn't last long though. Watch how things go when you change your champix routine. Don't risk losing that young quit :) Congrats on 6 weeks by the way. Great start!!

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, Midmale said:

its 6 weeks tomorrow.

More like "It's 6 weeks tomorrow!!! Wooo!!!hoooo!!!!" Make sure to reward yourself, Midmale! You deserve it! 

I have no experience with Champix either, but maybe make a post on the main board for Champix specific questions; you'll probably get better responses/more views there. As reci said, brain fog is normal...it's one of those things you have to push thru. Just make sure to follow the instructions on taking yourself off Champix so there are no unwanted side effects.

51 minutes ago, Midmale said:

The only thing I did right was not take a puff 

+

52 minutes ago, Midmale said:

feel a lot stronger and more positive

=

These are the secrets to build a solid quit. You quit putting cigarettes in your mouth and you feel the strength in taking your power back from addiction!

Congratulations, Midmale!! Today is a reason to celebrate!!🎉🎉

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Midmale said:

The only thing I did right was not take a puff 🙂

Yes! That is how you keep doing it.  It is just a matter of redirecting those thoughts.  It only becomes and endless cycle if you go back there.  

I experienced all those symptoms.  I was able to sleep, so I slept as much as I could.  Staying busy is the best way to push through.  Take a walk and breath that fresh air.  I hope you are celebrating your six weeks of freedom.  You have got this.  Keep that quit going.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Midmale said:

The only thing I did right was not take a puff 🙂

That is the important thing, as @Mee pointed out.  That is the key to a successful quit.

I did not quit with Champix but brain fog is common with a lot of quitters.

Congrats on 6 weeks smoke free.  You are doing great!  :)

• Like 3

Hi all, I've really struggled this weekend. I was hoping 6 weeks in that the cravings etc wouldve eased but they seem to have been stronger than ever, and one after the other, I feel emotionally exhausted but I havent had a fag. I'm not claiming any of the credit here though, it's only the champix stopped me cos I knew it would do nothing for me. Pretty despondent at the mo I'm afraid. 

54 minutes ago, Midmale said:

I'm not claiming any of the credit here though, it's only the champix stopped me

Hi Midmale, I think you should take the credit.  Champix is a tool to help you quit but it is you that is making the decision not to smoke.  Keep making that decision and don't smoke!  If you haven't already, you might want to read up on nicotine addiction.  It will help you to see that smoking does absolutely nothing good for you.  It just robs you of your money and health!!

Congratulations on six weeks quit!!!

• Like 3