Relapsed

Linda

Ok all  I have not posted any thing in a couple days, because I gave in to the smoking. Been there before but I am so pissed and disgusted with myself. I gave away almost a month of guit. The last 3 days I have bought 3 different packs of cigarettes smoked 3 or 4 and threw them away how stupid is that. I know better but did it anyway so here I am again starting all over. Day one again what the hell. Don't know if I can do it.

• Like 1

That sucks Linda, now you're going to have to start all over again. What were you thinking for the last few days?! You posted SOS on Monday and said you were doing better so?......

At any rate, dust yourself off, change your quit date on your profile and stick to your quit this time. 

• Like 6

Sorry to hear Linda. It does really suck to relapse but mostly for you because now you gotta start all over again 😞 

What was it specifically that cause you to choose smoking again instead of putting your head down and moving forward with your quit? You really need to give some thought to that because what ever the emotions or circumstances, it will likely happen again so you're gonna need a plan to fight it next time.

A lot of this quitting battle (in fact most of it) is mental conditioning. Get yourself into a positive frame of mind. Sorrow and regret for a lost quit will do nothing good for you. Double down and go again! You're no different than us. YOU can do it!!

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 5

Yes Linda this is hard to go thru and it is a pain to relapse.  However, do not be too hard on yourself but do take time to look back and take a hard look to find the triggers.  The good thing is that you came back and admitted to the situation -- that is bigger  than you may realize.  And remember when you make a mistake it is important to realize it,  admit it, and then learn from it -- it will do wonders as you continue this journey.  You can do this!!!!!!

• Like 5

I've been where you are Linda.  There is a part of you that still want's to smoke.  

A month free of smokes is impressive.  It's obvious you can bull your way through physical addiction.  

Think back on what caused the relapse.  Was it a particular stress?  Frustration?  Maybe some association like alcohol or 

circumstance (break time?).

You will want to figure this out and ensure you're prepared for the "triggers."

Drop the self-disgust and get back on the quit train.   It's a guilt free ride 😀

When you finally achieve escape velocity you're only regret will be taking so long to be about it.

• Like 6

Upper right hand corner, click the little arrow next to your name of the three bars if you're using the mobile site. You'll see account settings, click on that and you'll see signature on the left 😊

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Linda said:

Ok I found my signature but can't get it to delete my ticker that's just making want to smoke kissing me of lol

I deleted your old one for you, try it now :) 

• Like 1

Nicotine addiction.  It leads to despair, defeat and perhaps deadly consequences.

None of here are immune.

Please educate yourself. 

I cannot stress this enough and have given you a lot of resources. 

Go through your threads and take advantage of the links provided.

Much of your stress is self-perpetuated, caused by administering nicotine.

Smoking Does Not Help You Overcome Stress

So, Linda, what is your plan ?

How will you build yourself a successful quit ?

Are you on a program with NRT ?

Are you going cold turkey ?

Your support is here, let us know how we can help.

• Like 4

Yes I am using the patches. I have read much of the info you have shared and the resources. I have a medical back ground so I know all the issues smoking causes! I am well aware of the addiction. Do I think it is an easy thing to overcome No!! So I guess I will take it one day at a time and keep trying.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Linda said:

Yes I am using the patches. I have read much of the info you have shared and the resources. I have a medical back ground so I know all the issues smoking causes! I am well aware of the addiction. Do I think it is an easy thing to overcome No!! So I guess I will take it one day at a time and keep trying.

Try not to beat yourself up too much, Linda. I relapsed last week and had to start again on August 4th. I had the same pattern of buying a pack and throwing them away after 3-4 cigs. It was insanity. I am understanding the addiction more now. I really want to keep my quit date now. Hang in there, Linda.

• Like 5

I'm sorry to hear that you relapsed. You need to get back up and decide once and for all if you want to be a non smoker. Committing to Nope one day at a time. You are a strong person. You are smarter and stronger than the nicotine monster. Take your life back and do in on your terms. We're here when ever you need us. 

• Like 4

Romancing the cigerette......That little roll of poison we are led to believe ,cures all our worries and stresses...

In fact does the entire opposite .....!!!!

I'm very sad to hear you have up your fabulous quit ...that you worked so hard for Linda ....

I've yet to read on this board ..a person who is a Happy Relapser.....

So !!!.....

To be A Happy Non Smoker ...you have to Take Smoking Off The Table ......no matter what ....

Dust Down ....you know now smoking is horrible ...it stinks ,it takes all your money ,your self respect ...

I could go on ....

Park yourself down on your seat ...this time make sure you stay there .....all the way to Freedom ..

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Steven Drojensky said:

Try not to beat yourself up too much, Linda. I relapsed last week and had to start again on August 4th. I had the same pattern of buying a pack and throwing them away after 3-4 cigs. It was insanity. I am understanding the addiction more now. I really want to keep my quit date now. Hang in there, Linda.

Thanks Steven for sharing that. Yes is is insanity so let's beat it this time. Congratulations on starting again.

• Like 7

• Hi Linda, I'm sending you big hugs. I've been where you are countless times over the last couple decades and it feels terrible! I always hear "don't be too hard on yourself" and fully believe it because we are dealing with an addiciton that is physical as well as mental...yet its so hard to NOT beat yourself up.  The most helpful thing I've come up with is to be as kind to yourself as you would be with someone else who relapsed. Talk to yourself like you'd talk to them. You'd probably empathize, reassure they can do this, tell them to stop kicking their own butt and get back on the quit with a positive attitude.  Be that kind to yourself. ❤️ We are here for you
  • Like 5