Cold turkey/NRT

Linda

I guess I am a little discouraged. I could not do this quit cold turkey. So I am using the patches. Seem to help. I do understand I am still getting nicotine and that is the addiction. But not getting all the other deal in cigs. Now I feel mixed messages about using the patches, that it must be done cold turkey. So now I feel like WTH might as well smoke

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Linda,

I am a cold turkey quitter and have experience in building a successful quit

but, I know that others have chosen NRTs and succeed also.

There is NO BAD WAY to QUIT SMOKING !!!

The point is, choosing a method to quit,

learning everything you can about your addiction and about the particular method you choose to quit.

This information will help you understand what you may experience.

Do not listen to your addict.  Do not obey that voice.

Stand by your commitment to NOPE and ride out the discomfort.

• Like 4

Linda, I quit with the patches and it wasn't easy, the suck fest was real, but I followed the instructions and stayed on them for close to the full 12 weeks.  I had tried and failed many cold turkey quits and that wasn't going to be successful for me so I went with the patch.  What Sazerac said - the point is to QUIT, there is no bad way to do it!

You got this Linda!! 

• Like 8

Hey Linda,

Like the others have said. This is about the main goal of quitting. It doesn't matter which method you choose. If you're more comfortable with the patch method then so be it. Everyone's approach to quitting is different. The most important thing is that you quit and become a non smoker. This is where we will help. You are stronger than the addiction and you can beat it.

• Like 6

Linda, I tried quitting cold turkey twice many years ago and was not successful. Eventually my health issues, due to all the years of smoking, meant I had to quit!

My sticky quit (of 3 1/2 years and counting!) was through using NRT (patches and gum) and the help of an online support group like Quit Train (QSMB-which is no longer in existence).  Read all you can here about nicotine addiction, view the Joel videos. Knowledge is power.   Note: I stayed a little bit longer on each NRT level before stepping down to next level. Doing this enabled me to get past my anxiety about quitting.  

• Like 7

The best way to quit is the way that works for YOU!

Using NRT is just a different approach to quitting. Not right or wrong, just different. The most important thing is that you focus all your energy on nurturing that young quit. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Linda said:

I guess I am a little discouraged. I could not do this quit cold turkey. So I am using the patches. Seem to help. I do understand I am still getting nicotine and that is the addiction. But not getting all the other deal in cigs. Now I feel mixed messages about using the patches, that it must be done cold turkey. So now I feel like WTH might as well smoke

You should not feel discouraged, LInda.  There is no shame in having difficulty with a cold turkey quit.  Four years ago, I quit cold turkey.  For me, it was absolutely horrid.  I had terrible withdrawal for the entire first month.  I think the only reason I made it through was because I had upcoming major surgery and the sugeon said that he would not even perform it if I was not quit for at least two months.  Unfortunately, I replapsed two years later.  I'm not going to go into that but suffice it to say that I was very disappointed in myself and knew that I did NOT want to be a smoker.  However, I just couldn't seem to get a cold turkey quit to stick a second time around.  Finally, after smoking for 1 year, 7 months, and 22 days, I started using the patch.  I did still have smoking thoughts but I had virtually no physical withdrawal symptoms.  I had no withdrawal symptoms while I was on the 21 mg patches.  When I stepped down to the 14 mg patches, I had a little bit of brain fog after a few days of the reduced dose.  I didn't notice any change when I stepped down to 7 mg.  I was very nervous to go to 0 mg (no patch) but it was a total non-event.  For me, the patches made quitting seem like a piece of cake compared to cold turkey.  I didn't find it too difficult to redirect my smoking thoughts to other things.  But that's me...we're all different.  If you are going to use the patch, I would recommend that you use it as directed.  If you feel pretty secure in your quit, you can stop early.  I stopped using the 7 mg patches a few days early because I had some plans with others coming up and wanted to be alone on my first 0 mg day.

Regardless of how you do it, Linda, stick with your quit.  Down the road, you'll be so glad that you did!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

As you've seen by the replies Linda there is not one person who thinks your quit is any less awesome because you're using NRTs so keep doing what works best for you to keep your quit 🤗

• Like 5

Linda ....you've had great positive replies ....

This is a Non Smoking board ....that's it ....Don't Smoke ....

How you get to Freedom is your journey ....we are all different ....so quitting is different ....

Don't be so hard on yourself ....what your achieving is amazing ....

• Like 5

I quit cold turkey but it took me a number of quits to finally get to that final quit for good.

I can't give any advice on NRT's as I have no experience with them.  However, I have seen since my quit that there have been many people who have successfully quit by NRT's so quitting that way is very doable.  Just follow the instructions and keep reaching out for advice from others who did quit with NRT's.

You are doing a great thing.  It is easy to get discouraged but don't.  Quitting smoking is a great thing regardless of how you accomplish it.

Edited by johnny5
  • Like 5

I quit this time using NRT....for me it worked. If I had a time machine and could go back and do it again id still use NRT. 

I think I had a very public rant thread about this topic and defending my use of NRT..but the thing is I would never have succeeded without the nrt or the support and friendship of the eclectic loons on this train...I had stuff to deal with beyond the physical addiction, I knew that about myself and as far as I am concerned NRT was a significant factor in my quit. 

I did go through a disillusioned stage where I felt my quit was somehow less than a cold turkey quit so I get what you are saying, but on the other side of the successful quit fence ...  i don't give a fat rat's clacker how anyone quits as long as they do and they fight the nicodemon however their demon manifests and they keep their quit and find success....i want that for every quitter, success.

When push comes to shove I dont give a shit if you race to the successful quit line in a suped up Bugatti Veyron or if you limp towards it in a clapped out combi just so long as ya take the journey and get there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, notsmokinjo said:

I quit this time using NRT....for me it worked. If I had a time machine and could go back and do it again id still use NRT. 

I think I had a very public rant thread about this topic and defending my use of NRT..but the thing is I would never have succeeded without the nrt or the support and friendship of the eclectic loons on this train...I had stuff to deal with beyond the physical addiction, I knew that about myself and as far as I am concerned NRT was a significant factor in my quit. 

I did go through a disillusioned stage where I felt my quit was somehow less than a cold turkey quit so I get what you are saying, but on the other side of the successful quit fence ...  i don't give a fat rat's clacker how anyone quits as long as they do and they fight the nicodemon however their demon manifests and they keep their quit and find success....i want that for every quitter, success.

When push comes to shove I dont give a shit if you race to the successful quit line in a suped up Bugatti Veyron or if you limp towards it in a clapped out combi just so long as ya take the journey and get there.

^^^^^^ this ^^^^^^

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, notsmokinjo said:

Thanks for sharing

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The thing is, NRT allows you to break your addiction in stages.  You deal with the habit of smoking first.  Later you deal with the physical addiction of nicotine.  

This method works for some people.  I quit using NRT.  

That last step wherein you chuck the patches entirely is still the biggest step.  Maybe not as big as going cold turkey but it still takes dedication, perseverance, and a complete commitment to change.   

Quitting is not something we do for a few weeks or months.  Quitting is what we do until the end of our days.  No exceptions, no time-outs.  

It only gets easier if you never give in.

• Like 2